New reel dilemma

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

New reel dilemma

Post by Matt_3479 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:32 am

Right now I’m looking at 3 reels but can only afford two at the current time and the 3rd will be pushed back for quite some time. I have an imx Pro 884 twfr with a chronarch mgl on top and love it! I recently acquired an nrx 853c and an expride 7’ lite+ spinning rod.

I’m looking at a new bantam mgl for the imx pro and moving the chronarch mgl to the nrx, or getting a metanium mgl for the nrx and leaving the chronarch where it’s at. Then the expride will be receiving a ci4+ and it balances it out beautifully. My question is knowing budget is only allowing for either the met or the bantam for the time being which one would you get first. Will be some time before the other one joins.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New reel dilemma

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:09 am

Matt_3479 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:32 am
Right now I’m looking at 3 reels but can only afford two at the current time and the 3rd will be pushed back for quite some time. I have an imx Pro 884 twfr with a chronarch mgl on top and love it! I recently acquired an nrx 853c and an expride 7’ lite+ spinning rod.

I’m looking at a new bantam mgl for the imx pro and moving the chronarch mgl to the nrx, or getting a metanium mgl for the nrx and leaving the chronarch where it’s at. Then the expride will be receiving a ci4+ and it balances it out beautifully. My question is knowing budget is only allowing for either the met or the bantam for the time being which one would you get first. Will be some time before the other one joins.
I don't have the Metanium or Bantam, but really enjoy my Chronarch. That being said, I have seen more comments about it and the Metanium both becoming "geary", grinding, or buzzing. The Bantam on the other hand, I have seen zero complaints about, other than the line guide being too short which some say is a superficial issue (I don't know, just off comments). I'd get the Bantam, knowing it has a better chance of lasting, then try to Metanium MGL if you still want. The Metanium has been out a while now come to think of it... Might be something new before then...

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:37 am

Choose one with brass gears.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:09 am

Thanks guys. I’ll stsrt with the bantam

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:09 am

Just noticed another thread today, about a Chronarch MGL's gears clicking. I stepped mine up to a 7'6"MH rod not long ago and have still had no issues. I assume the Bantam can only be more tough??? The line guide shortness cannot be too much of an issue though, only ever seen minor complaints about it with certain line sizes.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:59 pm

Thanks guys, picked up a bantam mgl xg, threw some 50lbs power pro, tied on my favourite frog (jackall karea) and sat ir on top my imx pro 884 twfr and boy does it ever feel sweet! Can’t wait to get that thing going. And the chronarch mgl spun up with 30lbs power pro to 8lbs leader tied with an fg know. It feels great on this nrx!

hokiehi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hokiehi » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:54 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:09 am
Just noticed another thread today, about a Chronarch MGL's gears clicking. I stepped mine up to a 7'6"MH rod not long ago and have still had no issues. I assume the Bantam can only be more tough??? The line guide shortness cannot be too much of an issue though, only ever seen minor complaints about it with certain line sizes.
If you’re referring to the thread in Shimano’s product support forum, the clicking in the gears was completely my fault. I dropped the pinion gear while I was scrubbing it and that’s what damaged the pinion. Totally my mistake.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:03 pm

hokiehi wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:54 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
If you’re referring to the thread in Shimano’s product support forum, the clicking in the gears was completely my fault. I dropped the pinion gear while I was scrubbing it and that’s what damaged the pinion. Totally my mistake.
If it is just a little bend on the tip of a gear tooth, you can file it down and keep on keeping on and possibly not even notice it if done well.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

hokiehi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hokiehi » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:23 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:03 pm
hokiehi wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:54 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
If it is just a little bend on the tip of a gear tooth, you can file it down and keep on keeping on and possibly not even notice it if done well.
I simply do not trust myself enough to file down a gear without messing the whole thing up

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:29 pm

hokiehi wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:23 pm

I simply do not trust myself enough to file down a gear without messing the whole thing up
You are already going to replace both gears right? So you will have a new set ready to go...

This means you can mess up the old gears if you want to! So give it a try! Can't hurt at this point.

Simply find yourself the right file shape and size and go to town! A job like that should only take a few minutes. But take your time and use some really good magnifying glasses and just remove the burr or bent section and clean it back to a nice V and try it out!

Don't dig the file into the entire gear tooth opening. Only file the excess bent over. Just remove what is in the way and not one molecule beyond it! All you are trying to do is get the shape of tooth back.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:47 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me too. Try it. Worst case the gears are being replaced anyways. Best case, you now have a backup set for when your gears start to "buzz". :lol:
<")))><{

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:33 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:29 pm
hokiehi wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:23 pm

You are already going to replace both gears right? So you will have a new set ready to go...

This means you can mess up the old gears if you want to! So give it a try! Can't hurt at this point.

Simply find yourself the right file shape and size and go to town! A job like that should only take a few minutes. But take your time and use some really good magnifying glasses and just remove the burr or bent section and clean it back to a nice V and try it out!

Don't dig the file into the entire gear tooth opening. Only file the excess bent over. Just remove what is in the way and not one molecule beyond it! All you are trying to do is get the shape of tooth back.
This is how I learned to polish gears, I replaced a 9.1 set with a 7.3 so I had the original 9.1 to practice on. Sure enough it smoothed them out big time and now I consider placing them back in sometimes...