Newer Reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Newer Reels

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:09 am

poisonokie wrote:That's because it's melting. Metals and crystalline solids also do that when enough heat is applied.
Right. But in Canada where they don't melt it might be considered properly applied lighter materials. But NOT in Florida.

I see it all the time here.

So I now have a rule... aluminum frames only. Nothing else will do. So for me, my midline curado's are much more preferrable than today's chronarchs or similar. They don't hold up. Feel cheap in my hands. Won't touch them because of the frame materials issue.

If you want good reels in your hands you need metal not plastic or graphite. Just my opinion on the subject.

***The problem I have with graphite frames is not only the brittle issue, but the stripping of threads issue, but worst of all I do not like to feel a reel twist and bend in my hands while using it. That is a sin. I want my reels to feel solid. Nothing else will do.
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:28 am

Twitchin bar...

Your issue with daiwa is based on the cheap megaforce reel? Sure that's a junk reel but most of daiwa's "real" stuff is solid. There are very few plastic framed reels. Shimano ci4 based chronarch's, daiwas t3's and then the cheap china stuff is about it in casting reels. Daiwa alphas, pixy, zillion, tatula, fuego, steez are all metal frames. Shimano's metanium, aldebaran, curado, are metal even the small 70s are aluminum framed so I'm not really sure what your issue is if you're basing your argument on frame material??? The bantam is all metal and solid as a rock. What about internal loads? Newer shimano's have designed in much more even load distribution while older stuff places more stress on the spool shaft causing more deflection and wear.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:38 am

ss30378 wrote:Twitchin bar...

Your issue with daiwa is based on the cheap megaforce reel? Sure that's a junk reel but most of daiwa's "real" stuff is solid.
No, just used that one as an example. For you see, those are the most abandoned reels at repair shops. So I get mine for free to try out and then toss or use for parts... :big grin: (can't believe I actually wasted money out of my own pockets for parts to fix a couple of those just to try the gimmick) I get to try them all eventually...

And yes, when Daiwa uses aluminum for the frame it is solid. But I still don't like them. The shape. The way they feel. The way they operate. Just my preference. Shimano is the only company who builds certain reels a way I can like them. Daiwa has not done that yet- except in spinning reels. I still have a Team Daiwa 3500CU on a rod to this day... another 20 plus year old reel built like a tank and works forever. Heck, maybe THAT is why they don't build them to last any more... keeps us coming back for more and newer and better and all that!

And, I don't like it that Daiwa is so distant and disconnected from its own market. We don't see Daiwa trying to connect like Shimano does. That plays a role too. Try talking to Daiwa sometime. Try being a service shop trying to get out them what you need. Daiwa needs to step up the plate with the American market and participate in human form sometime like Shimano does year round, even here.

How many "what's new from Daiwa" threads are there around here? :lol: We call it the keep dreaming thread! :whistle:
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:41 am

medicpelle wrote:Is it just me or do the new reels leave something to be desired? I'm a JDM/Diawa guy and I can't see anything out there that I would give up my older platform reels for. Love my ito's, type-r's, steez, etc.
Youre not alone.
<")))><{

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:48 am

ShimanoFan wrote:
poisonokie wrote:That's because it's melting. Metals and crystalline solids also do that when enough heat is applied.
Right. But in Canada where they don't melt it might be considered properly applied lighter materials. But NOT in Florida.

I see it all the time here.

So I now have a rule... aluminum frames only. Nothing else will do. So for me, my midline curado's are much more preferrable than today's chronarchs or similar. They don't hold up. Feel cheap in my hands. Same with the curado 70. Won't touch them because of the frame materials issue.

If you want good reels in your hands you need metal not plastic or graphite. Just my opinion on the subject.

***The problem I have with graphite frames is not only the brittle issue, but the stripping of threads issue, but worst of all I do not like to feel a reel twist and bend in my hands while using it. That is a sin. I want my reels to feel solid. Nothing else will do.
The frame on the Curado 70 is aluminum, and sideplates are graphite/plastic like all Curados have been, except the D series.
<")))><{

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:52 am

ss30378 wrote:Twitchin bar...

Your issue with daiwa is based on the cheap megaforce reel? Sure that's a junk reel but most of daiwa's "real" stuff is solid. There are very few plastic framed reels. Shimano ci4 based chronarch's, daiwas t3's and then the cheap china stuff is about it in casting reels. Daiwa alphas, pixy, zillion, tatula, fuego, steez are all metal frames. Shimano's metanium, aldebaran, curado, are metal even the small 70s are aluminum framed so I'm not really sure what your issue is if you're basing your argument on frame material??? The bantam is all metal and solid as a rock. What about internal loads? Newer shimano's have designed in much more even load distribution while older stuff places more stress on the spool shaft causing more deflection and wear.
He hasnt used any high end Daiwas to base his arguments on. Thats where the issue lies. He also wont admit that Shimano has basically applied things to their reels that Daiwa has been using for years. If he goes outside of what Shimano makes, he is lost.
<")))><{

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:56 am

Yeah I was talkin' about all the plastic there and wasn't clear so I just removed it rather than expand on it. A friend has a couple of those and they don't feel right. He likes them though

Its funny looking at shimano website sales site reading about their high end reels. No mention of frame material on some.Wonder why?

These meds are making me jittery. I had to see a pulmonologist yesterday or check in to a hospital... so the meds are kicking in... and with 3 days bed rest not much else to do.

I tried wrapping some guides on a rod today and was shaking too much. Crazy what allergic reaction inflamed bronchial tubes can do to a person. Its miserable and the drugs make me feel worse.
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:59 am

ShimanoFan wrote:Yeah I was talkin' about all the plastic there and wasn't clear so I just removed it rather than expand on it. A friend has a couple of those and they don't feel right. He likes them though

These meds are making me jittery. I had to see a pulmonologist yesterday or check in to a hospital... so the meds are kicking in... and with 3 days bed rest not much else to do.

I tried wrapping some guides on a rod today and was shaking too much. Crazy what allergic reaction inflamed bronchial tubes can do to a person. Its miserable and the drugs make me feel worse.
Sounds like you need a drink. :lol: Get well.
<")))><{

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:02 am

Thanks. Doctors said I can't be around any smoke anymore. Nothing.

It was a darn DANK vape that did this! I was told solvents or something in there.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:06 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
He hasnt used any high end Daiwas to base his arguments on. Thats where the issue lies. He also wont admit that Shimano has basically applied things to their reels that Daiwa has been using for years. If he goes outside of what Shimano makes, he is lost.
I've used them. Only one of our techs uses them and I have used his and others. Just not fond of the way Daiwa makes their reels is all. When I was a kid and up to in college I used magnetic reels, but since then I am addicted to centrifugal and the brakes act differently and my thumb is shimano trained. My thumb gets lost on Daiwa reels.

But yeah, I am lost outside of Shimano. Would be more lost if there was no shimano.
LgMouthGambler wrote: He also wont admit that Shimano has basically applied things to their reels that Daiwa has been using for years.
That would be an interesting discussion... for another thread of course... as I kind of think it is the other way around! \:D/

Who knows LMG, maybe I'll spool one up for the upcoming meet and greet tournament and try to catch the biggest bass on it!
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:11 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
The frame on the Curado 70 is aluminum, and sideplates are graphite/plastic like all Curados have been, except the D series.
I should have put the words in this order:

today's chronarchs or similar. They don't hold up. Won't touch them because of the frame materials issue. Feel cheap in my hands. Same with the curado 70.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:13 am

ShimanoFan wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
I should have put the words in this order:

today's chronarchs or similar. They don't hold up. Won't touch them because of the frame materials issue. Feel cheap in my hands. Same with the curado 70.
Right on. Yeah, not a fan of the Ci4 Chronarchs myself either.
<")))><{

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:12 pm

Well, you know with a Megaforce reel, they break, but you can sit back, puff a blunt, a "Woolah" instant fish!

All joking aside, I don't consider Zaion or C14 to be plastic any more than carbon fishing rods are plastic. The side plate on the Tat CT is a different story.
This is the way.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:15 pm

poisonokie wrote:Well, you know with a Megaforce reel, they break, but you can sit back, puff a blunt, a "Woolah" instant fish!

All joking aside, I don't consider Zaion or C14 to be plastic any more than carbon fishing rods are plastic. The side plate on the Tat CT is a different story.
No issues here with the Tat CT, what are you seeing? Interesting non the less, seeing as how most Shimano reels through the years have been using the same material. IE the infamous E series reels, and never had an issue with flex or anything.
<")))><{

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:42 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
poisonokie wrote:Well, you know with a Megaforce reel, they break, but you can sit back, puff a blunt, a "Woolah" instant fish!

No issues here with the Tat CT, what are you seeing? Interesting non the less, seeing as how most Shimano reels through the years have been using the same material. IE the infamous E series reels, and never had an issue with flex or anything.
I never bought one, and they feel okay in hand. They fish just fine but don't feel right, based on what little experience I have with the SV model in that regard, but it just bugs me. Just like a plastic worm shaft bugs me. Just like Zaion or some other new thing bugs the OP, even though I think it's great. It's just a step too far in the direction of cost saving. Again, this entire thread was started in a vein of subjectivity, and this is just one man's opinion.
This is the way.