Newer Reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Newer Reels

Post by medicpelle » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:20 pm

Is it just me or do the new reels leave something to be desired? I'm a JDM/Diawa guy and I can't see anything out there that I would give up my older platform reels for. Love my ito's, type-r's, steez, etc.

Smelter96
Angler
Angler

Re: Newer Reels

Post by Smelter96 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:33 am

Nope, you aren't alone. Most of my reels I use day in day out are OG zillions, tdz, and steez ex's.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:40 am

This pops up a lot and I just don't understand it...
This is the way.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:48 am

Smelter96 wrote:Nope, you aren't alone. Most of my reels I use day in day out are OG zillions, tdz, and steez ex's.
Me too, just add a few Alphas.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:50 am

Well, they still make those. Hell, they're never going away.
This is the way.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:16 am

One of the problems we the buying public have is us. We are our own problem and here is how... The trend and demand from modern fishermen is to complain about equipment weight. It's too heavy is heard over and over ad nauseum.

Well now that reel makers have listened they set out to comply with the demand and began removing metals from reels. So today we are sold some lightweight plastic pieces of junk all thanks to us.

So to change this our demands have to change. We have to demand a return to excellence if we want better equipment.

Because of this sad situation warranty reel techs like me won't buy new very often. Nope. My spinning reels I use today are the 20 to 25 year old reels because they are built better and last. And I don't care if it is a little heavier. My old reels are smooth and like new thanks to all of you who are tossing old reels daily across America.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

***Added... I just noticed this was a Daiwa thread... I'm suppose to stay out these threads... but my comment above is for all brands, not just Daiwa so I cleaned it up some. What I said is true enough... We demand lighter and got it, and now growing numbers of us don't like the new stuff.

And so... we fall back on the old stuff- exactly as the OP is saying.
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:49 am

:talk hand:
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:53 am

I mean, I love the TD Zillion for its aesthetic, but it simply does not outperform the SV series in any way. It's laughably heavy by today's standards, the knobs are riveted in place, the spool is heavy, Carbontex is a must, it doesn't palm as well, and there's no reason to think it would last any longer.
This is the way.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:11 am

poisonokie wrote:I mean, I love the TD Zillion for its aesthetic, but it simply does not outperform the SV series in any way. It's laughably heavy by today's standards, the knobs are riveted in place, the spool is heavy, Carbontex is a must, it doesn't palm as well, and there's no reason to think it would last any longer.
It is one of the best palming reels ever made. The other stuff is accurate though. Also SV is a spool type and not a reel type. Daiwa put an SV spool in a TD Zillion and called it an SV103. They would have called it a Zillion SV but they already put an SV spool in a Tatula and called it a Zillion SV.
Last edited by LowRange on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:13 am

Yeah, but I meant the Zillion SV, which palms better than the TD. Just one man's opinion, though.

I use my OG for pitching jigs on a heavy rod, and it's as good as anything else for that.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:39 am

Don't get me wrong, the OG Zillions and Alphas, etc are some of the best reels ever conceived, and I'll never part with mine, but to say the new ones aren't an improvement I think is wrong. Nothing wrong with waxing nostalgic about older stuff, as long as it doesn't mean you have blinders on with regard to newer, lighter technologies when they are correctly implemented. Which leads me to the CT type Tatulas, about which I'll agree with you all day. I've felt they were a step in the wrong direction from the start. Yeah, they palm better, but they should've stuck with aluminum for the side plate. Even then, if you're on a budget and a Zillion is out of the question, I suppose they aren't a bad alternative. At least you get Magforce Z, unlike the Lexa 100, but even it had an aluminum side plate.
This is the way.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:50 am

poisonokie wrote: as long as it doesn't mean you have blinders on with regard to newer, lighter technologies when they are correctly implemented.
:talk hand: :talk hand: :talk hand: :-({|=

Like plastic frames? Slow moving liquid as the frame bends and twists out of shape over time no matter what you do?

As a reel tech these days... I don't even want to work on non-metal frames. We can replace every part on the frame and still have problems.

Let's see a customer brings us a plastic piece of junk. We tell them the frame is bent but he still wants it fixed, so we spend our time and energy to repair his reel and when he comes to pick it up sure enough, he don't like it and then we tell him to replace the frame and then he gets all pissed off and yells he might as well buy a new reel. Well duh. We told you that up front BEFORE you made us fix your reel.

So why should we go through this every time? We are paid by the reels repaired, not by the hour. So for the guy above who just refused a repair for a reel he was told about and had us fix anyway and then did not want to pay us for what we did already at his insistence... it gets old.

My curado reels still have aluminum frames. The higher end reels that went with lighter frames... don't hold up as well. All new high tech lighter materials. Junk. Even if they apply it right... plastic bends and twists. graphite is brittle and breaks easily. Strips out easy too especially for the DIY at home.

So the point is, even though major brands DO correct implementation, it is quite simply the WRONG material. By demand too!

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:55 am

ShimanoFan wrote:
poisonokie wrote: as long as it doesn't mean you have blinders on with regard to newer, lighter technologies when they are correctly implemented.
:talk hand: :talk hand: :talk hand: :-({|=

Like plastic frames? Slow moving liquid as the frame bends and twists out of shape over time no matter what you do?

As a reel tech these days... I don't even want to work on non-metal frames. We can replace every part on the frame and still have problems.

My curado reels still have aluminum frames. The higher end reels that went with lighter frames... don't hold up as well. All new high tech lighter materials. Junk. Even if they apply it right... plastic bends and twists. graphite is brittle and breaks easily. Strips out easy too especially for the DIY at home.

So the point is, even though major brands DO correct implementation, it is quite simply the WRONG material. By demand too!
That's why I said "when correctly implemented". That's why I don't like the new Tatulas with plastic sideplates.. I'm not talking about any reels with plastic frames here. Also, amorphous solids are not "slow moving liquids." That's a myth.
This is the way.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:57 am

poisonokie wrote: That's why I said "when correctly implemented". I'm not talking about any reels with plastic frames here. Also, amorphous solids are not "slow moving liquids." That's a myth.

Myth?

Tell that to the Florida sun June, July and August.

And then you tell me plastic is a solid when left out there all day! [-X And that is with no load. Load up some cheap Chinese plastic and put it under some weight or pressure and watch it bend in the central Florida sun!

Forgot to mention... most of the plastic frame reels I see are Daiwa.

My 30 year old aluminum frames are as solid today as they were when new! The cheap "newer" Daiwa reels I had, the gimmick reels with the cheap plastic twitchin' bar... those did not last more than a couple of years at best. So called "solid" plastic undermined those reels real fast! The plastic gears stripped out real easy on those reels because of the twitchin' bar use. Reels just NOT made to handle it.
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:03 am

That's because it's melting. Metals and crystalline solids also do that when enough heat is applied.
This is the way.