If you had a painter willing to paint one TD-Z

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Moosehead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

If you had a painter willing to paint one TD-Z

Post by Moosehead » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:09 pm

I did a favor for a friend who is a painter and offered to return the favor and I brought up the possibility of painting a reel. He said ok, and I've been racking my brain for awhile but figured I should figure it out soon just in case he steps in front of a bus or something.. I wanted it to be a tdz and even thought about buying a scratched up one... then I thought get one with good side plates so I keep the watermark model numbers and have just the frame painted. Or get a r+ or a r with a good frame.... I'm all messed up...ideas would be appreciated...

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: If you had a painter willing to paint one TD-Z

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:34 pm

Your cheapest route would be to get a beater TD-Z. They can be had for pretty cheap on that auction site. Only problem with that is, will the mechanical function match the outside?
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Moosehead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Moosehead » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:37 pm

That's what I was thinking..

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:51 pm

Buy a beater, have it painted, ship it off to the wizard Ian and let him work his magic on it. Be for warned, painting a reel is a bit more difficult than just shooting paint. Tolerances can be a PITA. I've had two done, one was a poor job and the other was absolutely stunning, two different painters.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

Moosehead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Moosehead » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:03 pm

You are correct how I got the idea, he has painted all his reel and they are stunning. But all the watermarks are gone, really would like to keep them. But, Ive been wanting to paint one of mine for a looong time.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:59 am

Good prep work is the key.

Moosehead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Moosehead » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:30 am

OK I bought a TD-Z 103p that had good side plates but some serious scratches on the frame...Im having the frame painted the frame Sol orange. Keeping the grey sideplates with the watermarks will work out. He said he would show me how to prep one for painting and work through it with me, so I bought another TDZ and its really boogered up...This one will be Aggie maroon. However the sideplates will have to be painted as well.

Moosehead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Moosehead » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:53 am

I can also pick up a TD-Z type R with messed up sideplates but good frame from a guy I have bought from in the past for about $125.00 But I'll have to figure out what outside color to surround the gray frame.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:08 am

A word of advice-find some spare screws and put them into the frame holes before painting. Otherwise, you will strip the screw holes in that magnesium frame trying to get the screws back in after painting. Ask me how I know. :doh:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Moosehead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Moosehead » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:19 am

Excellent advice, thanks!!!!

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:54 pm

painting magnesium is a different animal than painting a normal reel. Prep is the key and there are not too many folks that do it well, unfortunately. Make sure your guy understands the nuances of preping/acid/alkaline/etching/etc magnesium otherise the reel will look like junk in short order.

TD-Z's historically have had paper thin finishes from Daiwa, which is why you rarely fine a nice clean one anymore. If you look at it funny it will develop rash lol. Now,the ITO's and Personal Orders have near bulletproof finishes, compartively speaking. To bad they didn't do all TD-Z's that way :doh: