Zillion SV TW or Chronarch MGL for jig reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Zillion SV TW or Chronarch MGL for jig reel

Post by Samuel_b » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:48 am

These are probably the top 2 reels that make high speeds and great casters for jigs, and a lot of people own both I’m sure... So which one is the better all around performer for jigs, pitching, and plastics?

Steez would be pick one...but not wanting to shell out that much right now!

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Zillion SV TW or Chronarch MGL for jig reel

Post by fishballer06 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:54 am

I can't say anything for the Zillion, but I own 4 of the Chronarch MGL's and they have all served me very well. I can't say anything bad about them.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:12 am

I've fished both quite a bit and I'd take the Zillion SV TW. My last remaining Chronarch MGL gets little use any more as I much prefer the Zillion SV TW all the way around. The Chronarch is a good reel for sure, you'd do well with either one.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:13 pm

Plus with the Zillion you can get a 9.1 \:D/
This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:58 pm

I have not experienced the issues mentioned with the Chronarch MGL (geary, rough after medium use), so it still ranks high in that regard. This being said though, the Zillion gets the edge for capabilities. I did a long review and haven't added to it in a while, but the ability to swap all 1016 size 34mm spools, the SV/Mag-Z/ZPI/etc. options make for one hell of a specific purpose reel.

With the Chronarch MGL you are going to get a good casting reel for pretty much all weights (I could easily cast 1/8 shaky heads w/ Roboworms on 12lb fluoro), but the dynamics like skipping and ease of use aren't quite there. The SV spool is very forgiving and on the Zillion SV TW the inductor doesn't keep it choked off like other SV reels.

I like the Chronarch MGL, a lot, more than other people do, but I bought 2 Zillion SV TW's, only one Chronarch MGL.

You could always get a Steez A from Japan and add a Zillion SV TW spool, I wish I had more of those now...

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:29 pm

I have 3Chronarch CI4s, a Chronarch MGL, and a couple Zillion SV TWs. I have less miles on the Zillions, but at this point I prefer them to the MGL. I actually find it easier to dial in my CI4s then the MGL, and I know I’m in a minority here. But I’d go Zillion at this point, aluminum frame, about the same weight, and much easier to dial in. Plus the spool options and easy upgrade of spool bearings is another bonus.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:14 pm

i own mostly shimano reels and have many chronarch mgl reels which have been very good to me no problems. a few weeks ago i got a daiwa sv zillion tw from tackle trap and put it on one of my jig rods and i would have to pick it over the mgl just for the all around capability of the reel spool swaps, skipping ease, ect. ive been real happy with it so far.

honestly cant go wrong though they are both good reels.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:19 pm

The Zillions are much easier to find lower than MSRP right now, if you wait a little longer, they might drop down even cheaper. The micro module gear throws many people off, the Zillion SV TW is an extremely smooth reel, brass gears and an aluminum frame really help. Remember if you are new to this, the Zillion SV TW has "x-ship" too essentially. There are 2 bearings on the pinion, 2 on the spool, 2 on the main shaft, an anti reverse, and 2 in the handle for 9 total. You can add 2 more to the handle and 2 to the levelwind for a total of 13 bearings making for a nice upgrade.

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:05 pm

Yeah I'm going to order a Zillion SV TW. I have a nib Met that will either find another rod or I'll sell it. I've honestly heard so many good things about the new Zillion and it's spool that it seems stupid to not try one. I've got to admit when they did away with the old Zillion frame I was livid...and I still prefer the ergonomics and aesthetics of the OG Zillion...but my one and only complaint with that reel was it's inability to cast and skip lighter baits like senkos and smaller jigs. And there weren't many shallow spool options for it. I'll probably end up with another OG Zillion but I think it's time to finally give this T Wing/SV combo a try.