2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:10 am

Strewth wrote:Why do some continue to call it a “spool tension” knob? It puts the spool shaft in compression! Cast control knob is a much better term.
I am guilty as charged. I feel that “cast control knob” is too ambiguous and can be used for the external brake dial. Then again, I am Danish :lol:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:15 am

One thing I don't like about the Zero adjuster: when spooling line or similar times when the spool is disengaged it will rotate and cause a slight overrun just while sitting there. I learned to just not disengage and leave drag really light or just tighten it and move it back to the stock setting. Just scared me to move it from the stock setting for so long thinking that I couldn't get it back.

Maybe that is why my Steez A casts a decent bit further than my Zillion SV TW with the exact same spool and almost same line...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:52 am

Strewth wrote:Why do some continue to call it a “spool tension” knob? It puts the spool shaft in compression! Cast control knob is a much better term.
I don't use that stinking knob to control my casts. That's my side to side spool positioner. \:D/

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:18 pm

Maybe because it adjusts the amount of line tension needed to set the spool spinning?
This is the way.

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:17 pm

I'm interested, as I've recently started using a new coastal for all my inshore, and this is my first daiwa. I have a few questions after reading all the posts in this thread...
1. I believe I read 200 meters of PE 1.5. Am I safe in assuming that this would be 200 meters of a typical 35lb braid? Maybe more if 20 lb braid is used? Does the Steez A hold more line?
2. I'm interested in durability. Why would Daiwa market the reel as using the more durable gearing in both retrieve ratios but really have aluminum in the slower and bronze in the faster? This does not sound correct...false advertising?
3. Bottom line, is this more durable for saltwater use than the Steez A? There was more back and forth regarding frame and side plates in this thread than a long winded volley in a tennis match. Some indicated same frame as steez a, some indicated different. I personally don't give a flying rat's ass about weight. All these reels these days are light as hell.

Appreciate clarification...I'm new to Daiwa, and have enjoyed my little Coastal more than my Calais DC's, Antares DC's, etc, so if this Morethan is really better in all accounts, I'll pick one up.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:01 am

jrk wrote:I'm interested, as I've recently started using a new coastal for all my inshore, and this is my first daiwa. I have a few questions after reading all the posts in this thread...
1. I believe I read 200 meters of PE 1.5. Am I safe in assuming that this would be 200 meters of a typical 35lb braid? Maybe more if 20 lb braid is used? Does the Steez A hold more line?
2. I'm interested in durability. Why would Daiwa market the reel as using the more durable gearing in both retrieve ratios but really have aluminum in the slower and bronze in the faster? This does not sound correct...false advertising?
3. Bottom line, is this more durable for saltwater use than the Steez A? There was more back and forth regarding frame and side plates in this thread than a long winded volley in a tennis match. Some indicated same frame as steez a, some indicated different. I personally don't give a flying rat's ass about weight. All these reels these days are light as hell.

Appreciate clarification...I'm new to Daiwa, and have enjoyed my little Coastal more than my Calais DC's, Antares DC's, etc, so if this Morethan is really better in all accounts, I'll pick one up.
I own both Steez A 8.1 and morethan 8.6. Both are saltwater capable, have aluminum frames although the Steez A has an aluminum side plate on the handle side and Zaion material on the non handle side not sure about both side plates on the morethan but will look into it. Both have magsealed bearings. Only real differences are bronze gear in the 8.6, paint And decal, 100mm handle with newer steez sv style knobs on the morethan, while the steez has tatula knobs and a 90mm. The morethan also has hyperdigigear which in all honesty I can’t tell if that’s why it’s smooth or is it the bronze gear, but might be what their talking about being more durable and in both reels. In my opinion the 8.6 Morethan feels slightly smoother and more durable/ powerful when reeling under load, or tossing heavier baits. I put 95 mm slp handles on both to get a more accurate comparison. It reminds me of how the zillion svtw felt compared to the tatula at the time. The difference between the two is slight, more noticeable by some than others, and also worth the price for some vs. others who feel like the tatula was smooth enough. To put it simply I would take the 8.6 morethan over the Steez A or the 7.1 morethan. If I was going the 7.1 route I would buy whichever I could find cheaper, both have the same duralumin gear, and are very smooth, and I haven’t heard any complaints or issues with them. I can’t help you with the line questions as I’m not using my stock spool and I put 50 lb braid on the stock spools just not sure how much I used I have a giant spool of 832 I’m trying to burn through. I hope this helps you and some others.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:10 am

I feel like there’s a significant difference in the smoothness between the Morethan and my Steez A. The Morethan has a more connected feeling and the Steez A has more of an airy feeling. Don’t get me wrong, both are extremely smooth. I would say it’s almost the same feeling between the Exsence and Stella I have.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:35 am

HobeyBaker wrote:I feel like there’s a significant difference in the smoothness between the Morethan and my Steez A. The Morethan has a more connected feeling and the Steez A has more of an airy feeling. Don’t get me wrong, both are extremely smooth. I would say it’s almost the same feeling between the Exsence and Stella I have.
Thanks for adding that. My feelings are the same especially about feeling more connected.

ResoKP
Angler
Angler

Post by ResoKP » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:02 am

Will Daiwa release a USDM/NA morethan?

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:55 pm

ResoKP wrote:Will Daiwa release a USDM/NA morethan?
I doubt they’ll release it to the USDM market. I don’t believe previous generations have been.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:38 pm

LowRange wrote:
I don't use that stinking knob to control my casts. That's my side to side spool positioner. \:D/
Agreed, but "side to side spool positioner" might take a while to catch on :lol:

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:46 pm

domthewon wrote:
jrk wrote:I'm interested, as I've recently started using a new coastal for all my inshore, and this is my first daiwa. I have a few questions after reading all the posts in this thread...

I own both Steez A 8.1 and morethan 8.6. Both are saltwater capable, have aluminum frames although the Steez A has an aluminum side plate on the handle side and Zaion material on the non handle side not sure about both side plates on the morethan but will look into it. Both have magsealed bearings. Only real differences are bronze gear in the 8.6, paint And decal, 100mm handle with newer steez sv style knobs on the morethan, while the steez has tatula knobs and a 90mm. The morethan also has hyperdigigear which in all honesty I can’t tell if that’s why it’s smooth or is it the bronze gear, but might be what their talking about being more durable and in both reels. In my opinion the 8.6 Morethan feels slightly smoother and more durable/ powerful when reeling under load, or tossing heavier baits. I put 95 mm slp handles on both to get a more accurate comparison. It reminds me of how the zillion svtw felt compared to the tatula at the time. The difference between the two is slight, more noticeable by some than others, and also worth the price for some vs. others who feel like the tatula was smooth enough. To put it simply I would take the 8.6 morethan over the Steez A or the 7.1 morethan. If I was going the 7.1 route I would buy whichever I could find cheaper, both have the same duralumin gear, and are very smooth, and I haven’t heard any complaints or issues with them. I can’t help you with the line questions as I’m not using my stock spool and I put 50 lb braid on the stock spools just not sure how much I used I have a giant spool of 832 I’m trying to burn through. I hope this helps you and some others.
Thank you very much for this reply. I'd be curious as to what you find out regarding the side plates on the Morethan. Curious as to which you feel has the edge in casting distance...all things where possible being equal?

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:28 pm

jrk wrote:
domthewon wrote:

Thank you very much for this reply. I'd be curious as to what you find out regarding the side plates on the Morethan. Curious as to which you feel has the edge in casting distance...all things where possible being equal?
So my 8.6 morethan and 8.1 Steez A have the exact same frames. Both handle side plates are aluminum along with the frame, and both spool access sides are Zaion.
Also interestingly the Steez A has the heavier side plate by a very small amount. Proof in the pudding.
ABC378A4-9B7E-4F22-BAB7-7AB54DEA4D3D.jpeg
ABC378A4-9B7E-4F22-BAB7-7AB54DEA4D3D.jpeg (45.74 KiB) Viewed 8457 times
3C389AD5-E20D-45CE-A7A6-CA2B6ABA25CA.jpeg
3C389AD5-E20D-45CE-A7A6-CA2B6ABA25CA.jpeg (66.02 KiB) Viewed 8457 times
92402591-9D03-4F1F-8079-91D5E5220A6E.jpeg
92402591-9D03-4F1F-8079-91D5E5220A6E.jpeg (69.23 KiB) Viewed 8457 times

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:42 am

Does the Morethan PE TW and the Steez A both detach exactly the same way??? I know the Steez A and Steez SV TW are slightly different...

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:09 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Does the Morethan PE TW and the Steez A both detach exactly the same way??? I know the Steez A and Steez SV TW are slightly different...
Yeah same way. I almost tried to switch sideplates and take a pic but i didn’t wanna mess up my zpi inductors in case something was different.