Faulty Drag On Daiwa Tatula SV TWS?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ResoKP
Angler
Angler

Faulty Drag On Daiwa Tatula SV TWS?

Post by ResoKP » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:23 am

Hi All,

I got a brand new Daiwa Tatula SV TWS this past fall paired with Megabass Orochi XX Perfect Pitch and I was pitching & punching heavy cover with it on 50 lb straight braid. Had the drag all the way on max and right from the very first bite, I set the hook as I normally do, and the drag peeled. I remember thinking that the drag was pretty weak and thought maybe these Tatula SV TWS reels just have weaker drags than what I'm used to. Continued to use the reel for the rest of the season and absolutely loved the reel, minus the weak drag. Caught a ton of fish but also lost some due to the drag slipping. I also loosen up the drag all the way after each outing.

Last night, I remembered about the drag "issue" so I decied to test it. Daiwa advertises this reel to have 13.2 lb drag. I took the reel off the rod, set the drag as tight as I could, with the reel on one hand and a digital scale on the other hand attached to the line, I pulled until the drag started to slip. The spool on my Tatula SV TWS started to turn from between 9 - 10 lb range. Is this normal? 9 lb seems quite far off from the 13 lb this reel is advertised at. I'm wondering if the drag on my reel is faulty.

Also, on a separate matter, I hear a loud clicking sound when I push & pull the on the handle. Is this normal as well for the Tatula SV TWS?

If anyone is able to test their reels for me that would be appreciated!
Thank you!

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Faulty Drag On Daiwa Tatula SV TWS?

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:19 am

I tried mine out for you. I have 16# sniper and tight drag produced 10-11 pounds with a high that I saw of 11#-7oz. Not smooth at all very clunky release.
Pushing the handle shaft in/ out slight click sound.

ResoKP
Angler
Angler

Post by ResoKP » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:06 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:I tried mine out for you. I have 16# sniper and tight drag produced 10-11 pounds with a high that I saw of 11#-7oz. Not smooth at all very clunky release.
Pushing the handle shaft in/ out slight click sound.
Thanks for checking up on yours. What's interesting is that mine actually releases quite smooth. Neither of ours comes close to the advertised 13.2 lb drag though.. 11 lb is still at a 20% margin of error.
That's too bad I guess. I still really like this reel.
Anyone else with a Tatula SV TWS that can check their drag strength?

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:21 am

It's possible that grease from assembly has contaminated the drag washer. Greased drags can slip at lower thresholds than dry ones. I would check for that first before condemning the drag altogether.

You DO have backing below that braid, correct ?

ResoKP
Angler
Angler

Post by ResoKP » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:36 am

uljersey wrote:It's possible that grease from assembly has contaminated the drag washer. Greased drags can slip at lower thresholds than dry ones. I would check for that first before condemning the drag altogether.

You DO have backing below that braid, correct ?
Grease contamination is a possibility I suppose :( since my drag peels smoothly on max.

Yes, mono backing & it's definitely the spool spinning before I see 10 lb on the scale.

Bottom line is, I think I'm getting much less drag on mine than what these reels are supposed to have...

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:04 pm

Reference my take on drag performance in this thread, it may (or may not) be relevant to your situation.

http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=80164

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:13 pm

Until very recently it was unusual to find baitcasters with more than 7-8lb drag, fish were still caught.

You do have a bit of mono backing on the spool beneath the braid? Really hard to imagine you're setting the hook hard enough to slip 10lb drag through a rod.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:30 pm

You probably aren't going to get the 13 lbs. of drag without fresh and dry drag washers, like they most likely used for the factory test. Drag washers will compress, and lose a little grip over time.
Take the drag washers out and clean them. It is very easy to do. If that isn't enough for the style of fishing that you are doing, buy Carbontex washers (if they make them for that reel) and install them dry. A prematurely slipping drag will never fix itself. I would have taken care of the problem after it happened the first time to avoid losing more fish.
You can add a light coat of grease (Cal's) for fishing baits with treble hooks that require a lighter drag setting, but I don't like a greased drag for heavy bottom contact lure fishing.