2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:29 pm

Interesting. New Daiwa Morethan coming up. Seems to have a 34mm spool and Magforce Z.
http://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/re ... index.html

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: 2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Uh oh, looks like this is the new "Zillion" everyone has been asking for. Both sideplates are aluminum, not just the frame. Looks like a Steez A frame, too. Our friends from down under will like this one for sea-run Barra, I think.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:48 pm

Nice. All aluminum frame and side plates based on the Steez A and 7.2 oz. Probably had aluminum gears though. If they are brass gears I'm sold. One would look sharp on a 17 destroyer.

No more than "usability in the bait reel for sea bass realized.
Compact, tough, cast elongation, widely correspond from boil to boat.
Received a high reputation as a dedicated bite reel for Chivas morethan PE. Besides the body, both sides have also been aluminized to achieve extremely high rigidity. By vigorously and steadily rolling up, not only can clearly notify the change of the flow to the hand, as well as the lure which pulls heavily can also be retrieved lightly, and draws a big guy. A compact body that is easy to palm and a 100 mm long handle that supports powerful winding make the rigidity even more realistic. Even in braking, from the setting of protection that does not backlash by PE, it flew to the limit, changed to the setting of attack which will extend in the second half. There is no gap in its potential from long-distance vibrating iron plate to pin spot cast such as minnow.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:11 pm

It is already on Digitaka, but not in stock yet.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:42 pm

It looks like it says Hyper Duragear on the side and given the overall weight I'm thinking the gears must be brass.
This is the way.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:52 pm

MY wife is gonna kill me. ](*,)
<")))><{

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:14 pm

The alloy gears in the Steez A are tough and super smooth, even after many big fish, and I'm a fan of brass gears.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:19 pm

Brass gears make sense, being the only other difference from the Steez A is a faster level wind and some carbon inlay. Or am I missing something?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:39 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:MY wife is gonna kill me. ](*,)
Ditto!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:53 pm

poisonokie wrote:It looks like it says Hyper Duragear on the side and given the overall weight I'm thinking the gears must be brass.
Come on plat do another sale like the summer one with this reel in it at some point. [-o<

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:54 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Brass gears make sense, being the only other difference from the Steez A is a faster level wind and some carbon inlay. Or am I missing something?
Dual aluminum side plates. Sexy black paint with gold accents.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:53 pm

34mm spool, 8.6 ratio and 100mm handle...shoot.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:08 pm

What are the chances a new Zillion comes out based off this reel rather than a Tatula 100 based Zillion? Didn't the original Morethan come out just before the Zillion TWS? I seem to recall the Morethan being ridiculed for being a Tatula that you are paying Morethan you should.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:14 pm

LowRange wrote:What are the chances a new Zillion comes out based off this reel rather than a Tatula 100 based Zillion? Didn't the original Morethan come out just before the Zillion TWS? I seem to recall the Morethan being ridiculed for being a Tatula that you are paying Morethan you should.
You're right, it was a Zillion TWS with a 34mm Tatula sized free floating spool and nitride line guide and magseal like the Zillion HD.
This is the way.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:41 pm

I've had to bite my tongue the last couple of hours as I have gazed down at my beloved Morthan PE SV 8.1R-TW and back up at the new "improved" version.

My first impression of the new reel compared to the old (while trying not to be a Debbie Downer):
-New reel 20-30 grams lighter depending on Gear Ratio-Neutral overall but bad for me. As someone mentioned the 17 Destroyer is a visual match made in heaven. IMHO the Javalin is the perfect match for the Morethan. That combo balances just forward of the lockdown nut with the 225 gram (old version) Morethan (without line). Any weight reduction and that combo is pretty tip forward.
-ATD vs. UTD- Same washers, different grease.
-100mm Handle vs. 90mm handle- I have never thought, man I wish I had a 100mm handle on this thing. Maybe the 100mm handle mitigates that 8.6 Gear Ratio.
-Gear Ratio- It's great to have new gear ratio options, but why drop the 8.1?
-Hyper Digigear- I don't have my box on handy but the old Morethan is advertised as having it as well as the new one-nothing new here
-Aluminum Side Plates- This is good, but I have never felt that the old version was anything but ROCK SOLID.
-New Side Plate- Not holding back here and most people disagree, but I hate that frickin' sideplate. Kept me from buying the Steez for 2 years. I love my Steez A, but I have grown to hate that sideplate even more. The dial is a pain to get to, you can't read the numbers on the dial, that big indention is built to gather dust, dirt and junk.
I have many Daiwa/MB variants with the protruding dial. Some suck because even new out of the box then can "self adjust" when handling and casting, weak little clickies. My Morethan and Battler have rock solid dials...loud, clear, precise and distinctive clicks. Like a fine watch!
-Bling- There is a clear bling downgrade on the new Morethan. Gold spool tension dial-gone (stolen straight off of a Steez, color and all). Gold Carbon inlay, reduced. Gold encrusted MagDial-gone. Gold thingy that seperates the handle sideplate-gone. Gold housing around handle plate-Rifled-Why Rifle?
34MM Spool-I'm measuring mine everyway to Sunday and it's 34MM tall, difference compared to a standard Daiwa 34MM spool is the width. The width is the same as an 36MM HLC/BATTLER/Zillion TW. This is why it has never been interchangable with anything. If the new one is not and just narrower that the old version, it just means that it is even that much more deeper considering the larger line capacity. Deeper spool-Bad
Zero Adjuster-I want to adjust, I want to adjust a dial that has gold bling and little dots and clicks like a finely wound Rolex, just like the old Morethan.

I am biased. This was my first high end reel and still my favorite.

Now I am really stressed. It's no longer Stress Free-It's no longer Versitile. It's a deep spool RCSB 1000