OG Zillion Variations

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
nd1225
Angler
Angler

OG Zillion Variations

Post by nd1225 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:25 pm

Can some one help me out please

How do the following reels compare?

OG Zillion

Zillion Deps

Zillion PE special

Zillion LTD

Zillion 50th

J-Dream

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: OG Zillion Variations

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:08 am

They are all amazing in their own ways. J Dreams and Megabass IP versions are sweeter due to the spool. They are all internally identical, the differences are usually cosmetic, and spool/inductor with magnet differences.
<")))><{

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:55 am

This interests also me that which reel has lighter spool (and lower line capacity?) and what kind of inductor (and bearings) there is and what use which reel is meant for…

deadlift
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by deadlift » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:53 am

The PEs (7.9 version) have tweaked braking and cast/pitch much, much better than the other variants, IMHO. The stock spool is small, which is fine with a braid/FC leader, or if you're just fishing a short line, tight to cover (ie. 20 FC, short pitches), you should be OK.

If you're casting, swapping the stock spool with an OG, an old Fuego spool or other compatible version works well. I think Bronzefly has Fuego spools.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:06 pm

TDZ 100mm spool is another great casting spool.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:24 pm

I’ve only owned 3 zillion variants. OG - Dream - 100m

Og was a good reel. Really nothing negative about it.
J dream was pretty but suffered in casting distance.
100 m was good too.

Pe spool in the dream was a great combo.
100m spool in the og was a nice setup as well.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:06 pm

jvelth74 wrote:This interests also me that which reel has lighter spool (and lower line capacity?) and what kind of inductor (and bearings) there is and what use which reel is meant for…
The deps dr 100zx has a locked down drag and many use it for frogs. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I have a tendency of getting bold with it, which has not always ended well. Also, it’s a looker.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:53 am

The OG Zillion is still the benchmark for durable easy palming aluminum framed baitcast reels. The only issue is that the 36mm spool doesn't have as many aftermarket options. The Ray's Studio DIY spool has helped this platform. Buy a used standard OG and a DIY spool and you will have both heavy and light baits covered.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:34 pm

toddmc wrote:The OG Zillion is still the benchmark for durable easy palming aluminum framed baitcast reels. The only issue is that the 36mm spool doesn't have as many aftermarket options. The Ray's Studio DIY spool has helped this platform. Buy a used standard OG and a DIY spool and you will have both heavy and light baits covered.
This. The Ray's spool makes for pretty good pitching spool too. I use mine with 16# flouro for the low weight of the spool for easier start up and the control of the Air Brake like mechcanisum. The thin inductor allows the spool to be more free than my Tatula SV or Alphas SV spools when pitching but still have a reasonable amount of control. I'm not sure how the spool will hold up to this kind of use considering that they are intended for finesse applications.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:03 pm

LowRange wrote:
toddmc wrote:The OG Zillion is still the benchmark for durable easy palming aluminum framed baitcast reels. The only issue is that the 36mm spool doesn't have as many aftermarket options. The Ray's Studio DIY spool has helped this platform. Buy a used standard OG and a DIY spool and you will have both heavy and light baits covered.
This. The Ray's spool makes for pretty good pitching spool too. I use mine with 16# flouro for the low weight of the spool for easier start up and the control of the Air Brake like mechcanisum. The thin inductor allows the spool to be more free than my Tatula SV or Alphas SV spools when pitching but still have a reasonable amount of control. I'm not sure how the spool will hold up to this kind of use considering that they are intended for finesse applications.
If they didn't honeycomb everything I'd try one myself.
This is the way.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:02 am

poisonokie wrote:
LowRange wrote:
If they didn't honeycomb everything I'd try one myself.
They do have a solid one without holes that I have pitched up some big fish with.
DIY spool in 7.1 Zillion.png
DIY spool in 7.1 Zillion.png (65.99 KiB) Viewed 11934 times

nd1225
Angler
Angler

Post by nd1225 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:17 am

Trying to find a HLC spool, like a dang unicorn!!

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:54 pm

deadlift wrote:The PEs (7.9 version) have tweaked braking and cast/pitch much, much better than the other variants, IMHO. The stock spool is small, which is fine with a braid/FC leader, or if you're just fishing a short line, tight to cover (ie. 20 FC, short pitches), you should be OK.

If you're casting, swapping the stock spool with an OG, an old Fuego spool or other compatible version works well. I think Bronzefly has Fuego spools.
It also has a high speed level wind with bearings.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:05 pm

OG Zillion - standard zillion. JDM versions have removable marked knobs and 2 bearings per knob. US knobs are riveted with bushings. Crazy Cranker has a slightly lighter spool.

Zillion Deps - special paint. TT did a review.

Zillion PE special - see above posts.

Zillion LTD - JDM version of the 50th. Marked knobs.

Zillion 50th - High speed zillion with red color, upgraded drag stack and upgraded handle with removable knobs. Spool is same weight as OG but has special markings. Slight weight reduction over OG models.

J-Dream - longer handle and lower weight with refined fit and cosmetics. Upgraded spool.

I think I got everything...lol!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:32 pm

Zillion Type R and SV103?