Daiwa Zillion SV TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Zillion SV TW

Post by bigturtle » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:24 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:The SV Zillion G1 spool is a gem. I use these spools in 2 of my Steez A's and Have a Steez SV G1 spool in my other Steez A and the Zillion spools have the edge for distance casting, the Steez SV spool has a deeper inductor cup.
Just for clarification, the stock spool for 1016 sv tw zillion casts better than the 1016 sv tw steez spool?

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:09 pm

bigturtle wrote:Just for clarification, the stock spool for 1016 sv tw zillion casts better than the 1016 sv tw steez spool?
If that's really so, then there's really restricted spool in SV TW Steez. Beceause SV TW Zillion spool is so restricted that it's only for spare spool for my SV TW Zillion. I use Momo's honeycomb or Ray's DIY or Steez 103 spool with HLC spring in my Zillion. Those works very well in my opinion (but Ray's spool should be 'deep' version).

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:32 pm

yes that is so . The zillion sv spool is less restricted than the steez Sv tw spool, the steez spool has a deeper inductor cup that protrudes further into the magnets. not as deep as a SS SV spool though. the best spool I have found for lighter stuff in the sv spools is the SLP G1 1012sv

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:57 pm

Odd. I didn't have the same experience. I put ZPI bearings on both the steez SV spool and zillion sv spool and felt that the steez spool performed better in the steez A.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:49 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
The drag locked on that fish, is quite more than what that reel was intended for im sure.
No joke! Should have a ryoga at the very least for something like that.
This is the way.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:26 pm

Need a little clarification.
Are these the same reels, with the "domestic" version available only in 6.3.1 and 7.3.1, and the "JDM" version available in the same ratios plus 5.5.1 and 9.1.1:

It appears they are. I used the 7.3.1 version last weekend at Clear Lake, via the Tackle Warehouse demo program, and it was my first time using the TWS system. Overall, I was pretty happy with the performance.

Doc

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:51 pm

DrPerf wrote:Need a little clarification.
Are these the same reels, with the "domestic" version available only in 6.3.1 and 7.3.1, and the "JDM" version available in the same ratios plus 5.5.1 and 9.1.1:

It appears they are. I used the 7.3.1 version last weekend at Clear Lake, via the Tackle Warehouse demo program, and it was my first time using the TWS system. Overall, I was pretty happy with the performance.

Doc
I think they are all the same :)... They are all made in Thailand.

Regards,
WW

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:22 pm

DrPerf wrote:Need a little clarification.

Doc
That’s correct, same reel.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:30 am

In last weekend I used my SV Zillion with Steez 103 spool with HLC spring for seatrout. Water was in regular height and usable shoreline were narrow and rocks were slippery with coating of seaweed. Because of that we must be careful not to cast to trees or not to fall to sea. And moreover we were casting against sharp wind. Despite of the challenges Steez 103 spool with HLC spring worked perfectly! I didn’t determine what would be lowest adjustment of Magforce that I could cast in these circumstances. But I found that with Magforce adjustment ‘4’ casts were long enough and still reel was easy to cast. This reel / spool combination must be the best that I have been using in the circumstances like this.

So SV Zillion with Steez Spool was from another world than OG HLC Zillion, which I used when we begin to fish. I got tired very soon because of difficulties with this reel. But afterwards I thought that difficulties with HLC in this time was because I wasn’t casting with needed power. And if I would casted full power that would be very likely to cast to trees or fall to sea or both in the same time.

But SV Zillion with Steez 103 spool was a joy to use in every aspect.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:01 pm

Thanks for the replies about the Zillion reel(s). I will be using a Steez SV TWS at my club tournament this weekend, then I will decide between the Zillion or Steez.

It will also be interesting to compare the Steez SV TWS against my OG Steez (103HLA and 100HLA).

Doc