Metanium worth the extra cost?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Metanium worth the extra cost?

Post by DrPerf » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:42 pm

78Staff wrote:Help a Daiwa guy here with a quickie Chronarch/Metanium/MGL primer - I picked up a couple NRX's and was planning on putting one of my OG Steez's or an Alpha SV on them, but have been thinking about trying an MGL level reel so thought I might pick one up also. Basically will be for soft plastics/jigs/bottom stuff mostly (JWR's)

So there's Metanium MGL, which is the current model I take it? then the 13Met, is that just a previous model,or a different reel altogether? Then the Chonarch MGL, which is one level below the Metanium MGL? I also see some other Met reels out there, MG, MG7, DC etc... I've got Daiwa-Speak down, but lost on these :).
I am primarily a Daiwa "guy", but have been using a Metanium HG and XG since 2015. The XG is paired with an NRX 893C (30# braid, 15# fluoro leader) for Senkos and the HG is paired with an NRX 852C (20# braid, 12# fluoro leader) for smaller paddletails, Fat Ikas, and larger worms such as the 6.8# Jackall Flick Shake. The combinations are used on every fishing trip.

The reels still perform as flawlessly as when I bought them. Just had a complete annual maintenance done,including polishing, and they are even smoother. We will see how they perform at Clear Lake in two weeks. In June, the XG/893C combination effortlessly landed the day 2 "big fish"(6.23 lbs.) at my club's monthly tournament at Clear Lake.

Would definitely recommend the previous version Metanium if you can find them in good shape and at a reasonable price. If you do and are interested, I can give you a reference to the person that does my Shimano reel maintenance and super tuning (30 years experience and specialize in Shimano only). Highly regarded in California.

Doc

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:23 pm

you talking about Dan? I had him work on my 13's and 16s recently and I liked the result and the speed.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:21 pm

DavidSA wrote:you talking about Dan? I had him work on my 13's and 16s recently and I liked the result and the speed.
Yes, Dan Issac at ReelEx =D>

I do my own Daiwa maintenance and super tuning (thanks ChuckE), but Dan does all my Shimanos.

Doc

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:58 pm

Thanks all, I picked up one more OG Steez actually so going to roll with them for a bit - have so many Daiwa's and so many parts, adding a Shimano would be the proverbial "bad apple" in the batch lol.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:46 am

I tend to agree with you. Unless you think you might convert the majority to Shimano. I like the consistency in maintenance. Like this company called Reelex- Dan specializes in Shimano so I sent him all 6 of mine. made it simple

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:09 pm

I would get a Bantam MGL for the 894 and an Aldebaran MGL for the 842. Both of these reels should balance those rods perfectly and fish better than the Met.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:28 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:I would get a Bantam MGL for the 894 and an Aldebaran MGL for the 842. Both of these reels should balance those rods perfectly and fish better than the Met.
Why do you say they would fish better then a met? I’ve heard really mixed reviews on the aldebaran h50/51 and nothing on the mgl version so I took them out of the runnings. The bantam keeps coming into mind but thought it might be better suited on my frog rod

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:21 am

Taking nothing away from the Bantam which I've not fished.

Many years ago (like 2007) I found that metanium based reels provided me better feel for bottom bouncing. I discovered this owning the old chronarch MG50 then getting the alum Curado 100D when it came out. I ended up getting many MG50's for bottom bouncing and a few 100D's for moving baits. Fast forward to roughly 2015 and everyone is raving about the new shimano reels. I started with the Chronarch CI4 then added a 13Met. In testing both reels side by same with same line, same NRX rods, same baits, same time on multiple days I conclude once again an old lesson--- the rig with Met on it provided me more feel. So I rigged up some of my curado E7's (all alum) with same line, rod and bait and tested it. Same result, I get more sense of the bottom with a metanium based reel over alum or composite. fast forward to 2018 and almost every bottom bouncing rig I own has a 13 or 16 met.

For moving baits, I actually prefer non-met reels so if I was in the market for a spinnerbait, crank or topwater reel I would be looking at the Bantam and the chronarch MGL. I has been posted on this board thousands of time that sensitivity is in the hands of the reviewer and I have realized that more of my hand is on the reel when fishing then blank and that in my hand this matters.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:50 am

DavidSA wrote:
My last cleaning showed several teeth torn off my 13Met gear. Tuner thought it was because of braid. Reels are smooth but I know I have 2 gears to replace at next annual full cleaning.
Replace them with brass, I changed my MGL and 13 to Curado K gears and they have both been super smooth since.

My Metaniums are my favorite reels.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:45 am

Thanks everyone, I’m pretty set on grabbing a met mgl to try for myself and compare first hand the chronarch mgl and the met mgl. I believe I’ll throw it on my glx 894c. I’m also in the market for an nrx or glx 893 which I might pair it with the met and leave the 894 with the chronarch to test.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:09 pm

Matt_3479 wrote:Thanks everyone, I’m pretty set on grabbing a met mgl to try for myself and compare first hand the chronarch mgl and the met mgl. I believe I’ll throw it on my glx 894c. I’m also in the market for an nrx or glx 893 which I might pair it with the met and leave the 894 with the chronarch to test.
sounds like a good plan!

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:49 pm

DavidSA wrote:
Matt_3479 wrote:Thanks everyone, I’m pretty set on grabbing a met mgl to try for myself and compare first hand the chronarch mgl and the met mgl. I believe I’ll throw it on my glx 894c. I’m also in the market for an nrx or glx 893 which I might pair it with the met and leave the 894 with the chronarch to test.
sounds like a good plan!

Is it an easy change over to brass gears. Ive never done anything like it before or do you think it’s okay with the factory aluminum gears? Have you fished the Bantam MGL yet? Thoughts on that reel?

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:34 pm

Matt_3479 wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:I would get a Bantam MGL for the 894 and an Aldebaran MGL for the 842. Both of these reels should balance those rods perfectly and fish better than the Met.
Why do you say they would fish better then a met? I’ve heard really mixed reviews on the aldebaran h50/51 and nothing on the mgl version so I took them out of the runnings. The bantam keeps coming into mind but thought it might be better suited on my frog rod
Better ergo and balancing. I have found the Aldebarans to have a finicky braking system, but it's a good caster if it is maintained correctly (cleaned and oiled every few trips). I can cast a Pointer 78 35 yards with mine which is about the same distance I get with a 70 Curado.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:54 pm

Matt_3479 wrote:
DavidSA wrote:
sounds like a good plan!

Is it an easy change over to brass gears. Ive never done anything like it before or do you think it’s okay with the factory aluminum gears? Have you fished the Bantam MGL yet? Thoughts on that reel?
yes it is easy but one very well known Shimano reel expert warns a brass gear thrown in a metanium won't wear well. It is possible though that a reel experts judgement may not apply to this exact combination so I would trust those who have been doing it for a while.