Daiwa Zillion SV TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa Zillion SV TW

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:01 am

I tested Steez 103 spool with my SV Zillion. This seems really nice combo if wanted to cast hard with heavier lures. I found braking profile logical. Magforce ‘ 2 ‘ was good for stiff 8’6” rod and with 60 grams weight. I casted with this spool almost as far as with HLC Zillion. Distance with SV Zillion with Steez 103 spool was 132 m (HLC Zillion casted 138 m). This test (with stiff rod and 60 g weight) was only for compare these two reels each other. Casting wasn’t so different. Extreme casts were near to each other. But it seems that Steez 103 spool I bought might have issue with bearing. When revolutions of spool gets slower the bearing begins making flicker noise. (I try to overhaul the bearing, let’s see. If that wouldn’t work, I buy new one.) With good bearing Steez 103 spools casting performance could be near to HLC. And I still thinking what happens if HLC Spring would be installed to Steez 103 spool.

I was planning to test this reel / spool with lighter lures and lighter rod but I destroyed line in that long cast with heavy weight. But new tests when I have something new (or renovated).

SV Zillion is truly versatile because it can cast 5 g for over 50 m with suitable spool and it can cast 60 g for over 130 m with another spool. And there’s many spools between these two :D

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:20 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote: Those of you that have them, Im curious as to what you thought of the reel compared to other Daiwas you own. Also, what do you use yours for? Down here, its gonna get spooled with 50lb braid and put to work.
I consider this reel to be one of the easiest reels to fish that i have owned. I've been pitching to Largemouth and skipping baits around structure and love it. How is it holding up with braid for you?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:07 am

egore1 wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote: Those of you that have them, Im curious as to what you thought of the reel compared to other Daiwas you own. Also, what do you use yours for? Down here, its gonna get spooled with 50lb braid and put to work.
I consider this reel to be one of the easiest reels to fish that i have owned. I've been pitching to Largemouth and skipping baits around structure and love it. How is it holding up with braid for you?
It's doing very well with braid. Most of my fishing here in S FL is with using braid. I am able to cast with great ease, and it feels really smooth through the whole operation. I'd say it is on par with my SV103 and TD Zillion in the joy of fishing department. I like the ergonomics of the TD reels better, but this reel makes a good compliment to my now 5 different versions of the Zillion reels.
<")))><{

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:35 pm

The SV Zillion G1 spool is a gem. I use these spools in 2 of my Steez A's and Have a Steez SV G1 spool in my other Steez A and the Zillion spools have the edge for distance casting, the Steez SV spool has a deeper inductor cup.

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:32 pm

Does it have brass gears or aluminum?Cant seem to find any info..

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:41 pm

PBP wrote:Does it have brass gears or aluminum?Cant seem to find any info..
yes the zillion 1016sv does have brass gears, the only let down of the reel is not having a alloy sideplate and set plate.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:30 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
yes the zillion 1016sv does have brass gears, the only let down of the reel is not having a alloy sideplate and set plate.
I don't see that as a negative. That's the main reason it's over an ounce lighter than the original. It's every bit as strong and rigid as the OG side plate. The only real difference I see is that you can feel vibrations coming through the reel more, which I don't consider to be a bad thing.
This is the way.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:36 am

poisonokie wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
I don't see that as a negative. That's the main reason it's over an ounce lighter than the original. It's every bit as strong and rigid as the OG side plate. The only real difference I see is that you can feel vibrations coming through the reel more, which I don't consider to be a bad thing.
Im gonna have to agree with this statement. I was able to fish the SV103 and SV TW side by side last weekend, and did notice that as a difference. Otherwise, still really impressed overall with the SV TW.
<")))><{

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:37 am

LgMouthGambler wrote: I like the ergonomics of the TD reels better, but this reel makes a good compliment to my now 5 different versions of the Zillion reels.
Really? The way I palm reels the TW feels great. I love that the U shape of the top plate give my thumb a comfortable place to rest. I kind of wish it had a pointed nose plate like the TWS. That fits my first finger well, and makes for a really secure grip.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:54 am

Don't get me wrong, the OG is a great reel. I would never part with mine. It's smooth, it's refined, it's a tank, solid as a rock. But I also felt the need to upgrade the handle so I could use lighter cork knobs, the set plate screw because it was fugly, and the drag because it was herky jerky. I haven't done jack to the TW's because I don't think there's much room for improvement.
This is the way.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:38 am

poisonokie wrote:Don't get me wrong, the OG is a great reel. I would never part with mine. It's smooth, it's refined, it's a tank, solid as a rock. But I also felt the need to upgrade the handle so I could use lighter cork knobs, the set plate screw because it was fugly, and the drag because it was herky jerky. I haven't done jack to the TW's because I don't think there's much room for improvement.
Im gonna have to agree with you there as well. The downfall for the TD Zillion for me was the lack of "image" in its factory state. I was really pleased with the SV TW in that aspect. I just had to at least do "something", so I added RCS corks. :lol: And the same goes with the JDM Zillion TW, that reel is killer looking in stock form with the aluminum CCC and drag star, as well as the trans plate. So, I just added some Megabass hyper corks.
<")))><{

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:04 pm

poisonokie wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
So both zillion sv tw side plates are made of zione or whatever it is daiwa is calling their composite\plastic?
Having vibration transmitted better is actually a good thing for me, I am planning to get 9.1 model for trig plastics.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:15 pm

poisonokie wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
When chasing large fish its a negative as there is flex in the side plate, actually have had a customers zillion tws 1516 pop the heads off the side plate screws when he was fishing locked drag and hooked to an unstoppable fish. ( impoundment Barramundi). alloy doesn't flex , there is a reason the new 2018 zillion HD and HLC have gone to alloy side plates.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:35 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
When chasing large fish its a negative as there is flex in the side plate, actually have had a customers zillion tws 1516 pop the heads off the side plate screws when he was fishing locked drag and hooked to an unstoppable fish. ( impoundment Barramundi). alloy doesn't flex , there is a reason the new 2018 zillion HD and HLC have gone to alloy side plates.
The drag locked on that fish, is quite more than what that reel was intended for im sure.
<")))><{

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:51 am

Another great thing about the Zillion SV TW is that if you order JDM online you can get a lefty in a 5.x gear ratio! Then if you need more line capacity you can easily swap in an RCS 1016 or other deeper spool option.