Steez A spool options?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez A spool options?

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:05 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Just a quick question, does the Steez A have a brass gear set?
no.
Oh, thank God. Now I dont want one. :lol:
<")))><{

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:42 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Just a quick question, does the Steez A have a brass gear set?
no.
I am an aluminum gear hater too, but there is something special about those new Steez gears, especially housed in solid aluminum...

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:56 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:
no.
I am an aluminum gear hater too, but there is something special about those new Steez gears, especially housed in solid aluminum...
Just stop it! Leave me with a good reason to NOT spend the money please. :lol:
<")))><{

Scuba Scott
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scuba Scott » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:50 pm

This is an interesting topic on gears because I am interested in the crazy cranker Steez A. I have not pulled the trigger due to my concerns over deep cranking with aluminum gears. Does anybody have any time on the crazy cranker A? My thoughts were to maybe go with the JDM Zillion SV TW 5 gear. I thought I might swap the spools out between the Zillion and the Steez A. Putting the spool from the A into the Zillion would give ample line capacity for deep cranking 6 XD style baits.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:29 pm

Scuba Scott wrote:This is an interesting topic on gears because I am interested in the crazy cranker Steez A. I have not pulled the trigger due to my concerns over deep cranking with aluminum gears. Does anybody have any time on the crazy cranker A? My thoughts were to maybe go with the JDM Zillion SV TW 5 gear. I thought I might swap the spools out between the Zillion and the Steez A. Putting the spool from the A into the Zillion would give ample line capacity for deep cranking 6 XD style baits.
I would find a way to make certain the Steez spool will perform properly in the Zillion 1st. The A spool is too tight in the Steez SV TW. Could be an issue

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:16 pm

Scuba Scott wrote:This is an interesting topic on gears because I am interested in the crazy cranker Steez A. I have not pulled the trigger due to my concerns over deep cranking with aluminum gears. Does anybody have any time on the crazy cranker A? My thoughts were to maybe go with the JDM Zillion SV TW 5 gear. I thought I might swap the spools out between the Zillion and the Steez A. Putting the spool from the A into the Zillion would give ample line capacity for deep cranking 6 XD style baits.
I have had the Steez A CC for a while now it cant fault it, or the 1016H models for that mater. the G1 alloy gears are still smooth and I chase barramundi and tropical snappers with them. and as far as spools any of the rcs slp 1016 and 1012 spools fit without issue. best all round spool I have found for the steez A is the zillion 1016sv spool. The SLP G1 1012SV is the bomb for light stuff but you can also use rays bfs and megabass IS spools in it as well. And ZPI are making spools to suit them as well.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:45 pm

Something is different about the larger toothed aluminum gears. I think the bad reputation for aluminum gears came from the Metanium MGL gears. There were a few reports that the Micro Module aluminum gears on that reel tend to get geary and buzz/make noise pretty bad. I personally have never seen anyone with that issue but I did watch more than a few posts concerning it. I think the Steez A/SV TW reels are totally different animals though. If you watch copycat site's videos he mentioned this a few times, about a Metanium DC though.

Would be cool to see a "Zillion" adopt the Steez A frame but with a cheaper Zaion gear side plate and brass gears...

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:56 am

I've replaced lots of og steez gears and a few new SV steez gears. Cheap fix. Brass gears are not 100% bulletproof either.
Last edited by cndbasshunter on Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:35 am

I’ve had to replace one set of steez sv tw gears after 2 1/2 years of use /w 20# fluoro pitching jigs into wood. Knew it was only a matter of time. Love the reel so much i didnt mind replacing the gears. Feels brand new again. 3 others (sv and a models) still feel brand new after about the same time but they are used for squarebills and swim jigs.

Scuba Scott
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scuba Scott » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:57 am

Sounds like the Steez A crazy cranker will be in my future. I currently have 2 A’s in 7 gear. I have 2 SV TW a 7 gear and 6 gear. I have not experienced any issues with any of them. As mentioned earlier, I would like to see an upgraded Zillion (brass gears) where the palm side dial is hidden like the Steez.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:11 am

iabass8 wrote:I’ve had to replace one set of steez sv tw gears after 2 1/2 years of use /w 20# fluoro pitching jigs into wood. Knew it was only a matter of time. Love the reel so much i didnt mind replacing the gears. Feels brand new again. 3 others (sv and a models) still feel brand new after about the same time but they are used for squarebills and swim jigs.
Were the gears you replaced still functioning? I tell everyone I replaced some 9.1 gears in a Zillion TWS, but it was more of the feeling I didn't like. They still worked, just got rough to me. Just asking because I wanted to know if you experienced a full mechanical failure or it just got a little worn on the gears you replaced...

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:45 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
iabass8 wrote:I’ve had to replace one set of steez sv tw gears after 2 1/2 years of use /w 20# fluoro pitching jigs into wood. Knew it was only a matter of time. Love the reel so much i didnt mind replacing the gears. Feels brand new again. 3 others (sv and a models) still feel brand new after about the same time but they are used for squarebills and swim jigs.
Were the gears you replaced still functioning? I tell everyone I replaced some 9.1 gears in a Zillion TWS, but it was more of the feeling I didn't like. They still worked, just got rough to me. Just asking because I wanted to know if you experienced a full mechanical failure or it just got a little worn on the gears you replaced...
They were functioning as far as teeth werent broke if thats what you’re asking. The retrieve became rough/grainy. The pinion was the piece of the set that failed. Main gear under a magnifier appeared to be uneffected. Pinion was more or less destroyed in the inner part of half the teeth. The set i put in was brand new and feels better than new.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:28 pm

^ Because pinion gear has many times less teeth than main gear has, damages in pinion gear are much earlier seen.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:02 pm

The gears in the Steez A are very durable. I have three, two 6 and an 8, which have copped a flogging on large barramundi, queenfish, mangrove jack, and thread fin salmon. Still as smooth as new and definitely the smoothest reels I have ever cranked. As pointed out above, the 1012SV G1 is a great spool and holds plenty of 30lb braid for my needs. Have used it on lures from 3g - 20g with 6lb fireline ultra for the lighter stuff. The Megabass IS Finesse is also a super performer in the A for throwing ultralight jigs. The ZPI NRC001M has been a revelation for all purpose use. Casts a long, long way with great control and is super quiet. For my use, which includes saltwater, the Steez A is one of the best reels Daiwa have ever made. A big call, but these reels have quickly become a favourite with Barra fisherman in Oz where the wheat is quickly sorted from the chaff.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:30 pm

Rippin-lips wrote:I have a steez sv tw and have tried a handful of spools in it. I’m sure I’ll be alone in what I have to say but these are my findings based on what I throw. Which is usually 1/4 - 3/4oz baits. Testing was done with 8-14 gram baits.

Stock steez sv tw 1016 G1 (what came with it)
Stock steez sv tw 1012 G1 (bought to try)
Stock zillion sv 1016 G1 (have extras)
Zpi NRC-001 PG (bought for this reel)
Zpi NRC-001 M (bought after the pg)

Both stock steez spools did not impress me at all. I actually felt a little let down by them. Distance was decent but it wasn’t super controlled. The ZPI PG spool is not a good performer in the reel either. Less distance and control over the stock spools. Again, let down because in a TDZ it’s amazing! For the money the zillion sv 1016 G1 is a good spool. Better distance and control over the stock steez spools. I then picked up a ZPI M spool and I was leary due to my previous experience with the PG spool in that reel. What a great surprise though. The M is great in a steez sv tw. Plenty of distance and is also very controlled. Money wise the zillion spool is the best buy at $70 vs $130 for the ZPI M. They both have good distance and control. I know the line capacity rating is different since it’s a Japanese product, but with #12 big game and a 1/2oz bladed jig I was able to hit my spool knot on the M spool.
I picked up a few of these Zillion SV G1 spools to try in my 8.1 Steez A's on my pitching rods - It does have less line capacity - 14/100 I think is the rating, I'm using 20lb Tatsu on one combo so will have to see if it will hold enough line - pitching it should be fine but I also use this particular rig for Carolina Rigs, so it may be close. I could switch to a braid mainline I suppose.