Steez A spool options?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Scuba Scott
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Steez A spool options?

Post by Scuba Scott » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:00 am

Looking for shallower spool options for the Steez A. Something around 120 yds of 12 lb line. Will the SV spool from the Steez fit into the A? Would like to hear what all options are out there. Thanks!

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Steez A spool options?

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:22 am

I have heard that all spools fits with each other Steez - Steez A - SV Zillion. I haven't personnally tested. But I'm planning to buy Steez A, just because it's finer reel than SV Zillion.
Last edited by jvelth74 on Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:25 am

Yes, it will drop right in and you basically have an aluminum version of the steez sv tw.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:45 am

Scuba Scott wrote:Looking for shallower spool options for the Steez A. Something around 120 yds of 12 lb line. Will the SV spool from the Steez fit into the A? Would like to hear what all options are out there. Thanks!
You have a ton of options. I currently have a stock Megabass IS spool in my Steez A and it cast like a dream. That spool holds 135m/12LB. Yesterday I was casting 6 gram neds with it, then swapping rods, I was throwing 17.7gram TN70's. My only adjustment other than rods was 2 clicks on the dial. I was utilizing 2.5 PE OhDragon sinking braid.

There are tons of spools that fit that Steez model. If you want to stay in the ballpark of the line size/capacity you mentioned you can consider the following:

RCS 1016 SV G1
https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/3763

ZPI PG (wow, looks like they are in stock!)
https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... _2496_2596

or one that I have on order and super excited to recieve

KTF Neo (make sure to get the matching ceramic bearing for the sideplate)
http://www.karil.co.jp/online_shop/sys/ ... F-NS-D34-R

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:06 pm

I ordered a ZPI PG yesterday from the Tackle Trap. I can't wait to test it out before the lakes freeze over.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:34 pm

I use to think that the G1 1012 and 1016 were the holy grails of spools for the new Steez platform. Then I got a Zpi Nrc001-m, and was blown away.
The Steez SV TW spools will run great in the Steez A, but the Steez A spool not so much in the Steez SV TW. I'm not sure why anyone would want to use that combination anyways

Scuba Scott
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scuba Scott » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:00 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:I use to think that the G1 1012 and 1016 were the holy grails of spools for the new Steez platform. Then I got a Zpi Nrc001-m, and was blown away.
The Steez SV TW spools will run great in the Steez A, but the Steez A spool not so much in the Steez SV TW. I'm not sure why anyone would want to use that combination anyways
Sounds like there are quite a few options. What kind of improvements did you see between the SV spoils versus the ZPI?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:43 pm

Scuba Scott wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:I use to think that the G1 1012 and 1016 were the holy grails of spools for the new Steez platform. Then I got a Zpi Nrc001-m, and was blown away.
Sounds like there are quite a few options. What kind of improvements did you see between the SV spoils versus the ZPI?
Distance and more importantly, consistency.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:58 pm

I have a steez sv tw and have tried a handful of spools in it. I’m sure I’ll be alone in what I have to say but these are my findings based on what I throw. Which is usually 1/4 - 3/4oz baits. Testing was done with 8-14 gram baits.

Stock steez sv tw 1016 G1 (what came with it)
Stock steez sv tw 1012 G1 (bought to try)
Stock zillion sv 1016 G1 (have extras)
Zpi NRC-001 PG (bought for this reel)
Zpi NRC-001 M (bought after the pg)

Both stock steez spools did not impress me at all. I actually felt a little let down by them. Distance was decent but it wasn’t super controlled. The ZPI PG spool is not a good performer in the reel either. Less distance and control over the stock spools. Again, let down because in a TDZ it’s amazing! For the money the zillion sv 1016 G1 is a good spool. Better distance and control over the stock steez spools. I then picked up a ZPI M spool and I was leary due to my previous experience with the PG spool in that reel. What a great surprise though. The M is great in a steez sv tw. Plenty of distance and is also very controlled. Money wise the zillion spool is the best buy at $70 vs $130 for the ZPI M. They both have good distance and control. I know the line capacity rating is different since it’s a Japanese product, but with #12 big game and a 1/2oz bladed jig I was able to hit my spool knot on the M spool.

Scuba Scott
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scuba Scott » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:12 pm

Very good information in this thread! Thanks for all that have replied. I actually have a zillion Sv tw and will stick that spool in for a test drive. I am also hoping to lighten up the reel a bit with a carbon handle and rcs knobs. Less line on the SV spool will help a little with that project as well.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:38 pm

Strange my experience with the Steez A with the ZPI pg spool was much different. I found it to be very controllable and like a sv spool for all size baits. I tried the steez svtw 1016sv and like it very much but the PG blows it away. I skip baits a lot and and the pg won't backlash on me on errant skips with 1/2 oz jigs w/ trailer. Unlike some steez a and svtw owners I turn and adjust the knob that's not to be adjusted so that may be why I love the pg spool in the steez a and svtw. My favorite reel right now.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:52 pm

You are looking for a more shallow spool. The RCS1016 and NRC001PG are deep-ish. I cannot comment on the Zillion spools but I really enjoy both the RCS1012 and the NRC001M, which are more shallow. I like the latter so much that I recently purchased my fourth NRC001M - works great in my Steez SV TW, SV103s, Ryogas and T3s. I have been looking at the KTF spool for quite some time, but it is never in stock when I look and now I think that Ill just stick with the ZPIs. You can also go for cheaper options, eg Rays and Momos, but it is almost a shame to put those spools in a steez :-)

Scuba Scott
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scuba Scott » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:42 pm

I put the spool from the Zillion SV in the Steez A and was quite happy with the performance. I also placed a 90 mm carbon fiber handle with the I shaped knobs on. Lightens up the reel a bit as well. For what I am looking to do with the Steez A this is a pretty sweet set up.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:27 am

Just a quick question, does the Steez A have a brass gear set?
<")))><{

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:55 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:Just a quick question, does the Steez A have a brass gear set?
no.