All around spinning rod (NRX v. ST. C LE v MB Add)

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Bigguy
Angler
Angler

All around spinning rod (NRX v. ST. C LE v MB Add)

Post by Bigguy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:14 pm

I am looking for a rod to fit between 2 st croix LE (ML F and M F) with which to fish a broad range of finesse lures (senkos, tubes, neko rig ned rig etc). I plan on fishing braid to fluro (6-8#).

That being said, all three are probably pretty awesome, but which would be the best for what I am looking for. My guess would be either an 852s or the addermine would fall in between the st croixs power wise. So, is the NRX better than the addermine (sensitivity etc)? Am i missing something in the LE line?

Any thoughts, opinions or experiences would be appreciated.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: All around spinning rod (NRX v. ST. C LE v MB Add)

Post by TravisNY » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:16 pm

Sir the "Ned" has taken on an animal all its own since Ned and I conversed about it near daily before it blew up. Have contributed more than a few pieces to the I-F site. Unfortunately "Ned" doesn't mean much any longer as hook are grossly larger and more lead is involved. I assume a cut stick. How much lead involved with your choice of hook, offering (salted verse non or leached out) plus the two combined ? How big of a hook and what is it ? Tubes ? What length ? Thin wall or double/quad dip ? How much lead ? Senko. What length ? As you know they vary greatly in overall weight. How do you rig them ? Exposed hook or imbedded.

It all comes into play. I'm a smallmouth guy and finesse is what I do. All of the above contributes to my rod choices. I've fished the entire NRX spin lineup and know the ML Croix lineup intimately.

Happy shopping sir.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:20 pm

the st croix LE 6'10 mlxf is what i would get (in fact i have 2 of them), i dont have any experience with the NRX or addermine. the 6'10 mlxf is definitely between the mlf and mf st croixs, and makes for a great all around spinning rod. other than crank baits and very light "ned rigs" i use that rod for all things finesse.

i wanted the addermine, but from a previous post, i concluded that it would overlap with the st croixs a bit too much to justify buying one!

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:37 pm

hard to beat cq842s or nrx852s for all around spinning rod.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:07 pm

I know it's not an option listed but a custom on the sc5 mlxf would be a show stopper. Small guides and cfx carbon handles
Would give you a rod that is unforgettable. I have a mxf rod done this way and nothing compares. I have fished a few MB rods
And an Nrx along with a couple of steez.

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:16 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:hard to beat cq842s or nrx852s for all around spinning rod.
Will you please stop making me salivating???, LOL..... I need to wait for months getting them from my local dealer :crying: :crying: :crying:

Regards,
WW

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:19 am

the nrx 852s is my favorite spinning rod. i think it sits right between st.croix ML and Med powers.

if i only had one spinning rod it would be this one, no doubt.

a ML st croix might be a little better suited for light DS and small mushroom ned jigheads and a Med st croix for 1/4oz jigs (+ plasitc) but the 852s can handle both and everything in between is its wheelhouse IMO

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:15 pm

bigfruits wrote:the nrx 852s is my favorite spinning rod. i think it sits right between st.croix ML and Med powers.

if i only had one spinning rod it would be this one, no doubt.

a ML st croix might be a little better suited for light DS and small mushroom ned jigheads and a Med st croix for 1/4oz jigs (+ plasitc) but the 852s can handle both and everything in between is its wheelhouse IMO
X2 The 852s is great.
Another one to add is a Hedgehog Evoluzion 8-) My most sensitive spinning rod.
https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... 2b08b0fd9a
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:17 am

Bigguy wrote:I am looking for a rod to fit between 2 st croix LE (ML F and M F) with which to fish a broad range of finesse lures (senkos, tubes, neko rig ned rig etc). I plan on fishing braid to fluro (6-8#).
I am also in the market for a spinning rod for about the same uses you are, but am trying to fit in in between a MB XXX Black Themis and a mbr783 glx. I am strongly leaning towards the Addermine but would love to know what rod you settled on as I am still open to other ideas.