I believe she is the "one"

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

I believe she is the "one"

Post by Obz » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:25 am

I mainly use 3/16-3/8oz Texas rigged plastics for bottom contact. I first dipped my toe into the high end rod pool 7yrs ago with a glx bcr803 jwr. I couldn't believe the sensitivity but was underwhelmed with the power. She was great for 3/16 ounce tubes/worms just not much beyond that imo. The next high end rod I got my hands on was a Daiwa steez compile-X, the power of the rod was spot on for my preferences, the balance was incredible, but the sensitivity wasn't nearly as good as the BCR 803. With something still to be desired I purchased a MB f5.5 Diablo evo xti. The rod looked amazing, split the difference in sensitivity between the glx and compile-x, balanced perfectly, just didn't quite have the HP I was looking for. Being satisfied by the sensitivity, aesthetic, and feel of Megabass rods I decided to step it up a half a notch to the F6 Super Destroyer. I thought the sensitivity was better than the xti but it had maybe a touch too much juice, I know I'm splitting hairs here but hey this is TT. Months after I bought my SD the FMJ dropped and I had to try again. My thoughts were that the extra 4" might make the rod less broom stickish than the SD and it did but.... It wasn't exactly what I wanted. I started looking back towards Loomis rods even though I was concerned about spending 500.00 on a rod that wasn't HARD enough. After asking some questions a forum member talked me into to this 894c and as soon as I unpacked it I got that "this is it feeling" I had to immediately strap a reel to it and start casting and pitching in my yard. My neighbor asked me what I was expecting to catch, I replied "perspective" and gained some. It reinforced my initial feeling that this was it! I had to get on the water to be sure. It was a brutal September day, bearly above 50°, rain and wind. I was having fun with pitchin, casting, dragging when I recieved that 'tick' layed the the hammer to 16" smally drug the fish and half the brush pile back to the boat, the little scrapper did escape, not wanting to leave the protection of the boat landing bay I called it a day without the new rod landing a fish. Sadly my NRX is going to have to wait until spring to taste victory. I put the boat away to chase whitetail. In conclusion I'm super stoked I finally checked all the boxes. This 894C has elite sensitivity, feels very similar in overall power to the compile-x and it balances really well with my Antares. Thanks for reading about my hunt for the perfect stick. Thanks to TT and TT forum members for the input along the way!

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: I believe she is the "one"

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:36 am

Congrats and I like the narrative. =D> Interesting thoughts and that is the great thing about the rod market today. So many options to help fill the gaps.

I think the Mets are great on the 3 powered rods and something like the Antares would be nice on the 4 powered rods.

How would you compare the attributes of the NRX 894 to the FMJ? :-k :-k

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:38 am

I’m going to have to try it.
I only use mine for c-rigs but I’m going to get it out today
Thanks for the motivation albeit I have the green blank.
I tend to wonder if there is a difference between the blue and green
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:18 am

NRX894 is a must rod for me if I am going out fishing for Giant Snakehead in shallow heavy cover...
I throw spoons, pencils, poppers, frogs, buzzbaits and spinnerbaits using 30 to 40lb braided lines and 30 to 40lb shock leader ( 1 to 2 foot long the most/no fluorocarbon leader at all). So far, whatever bites and they won't go anywhere...

Broke my lovely 894 1 1/2 years ago (heavy tackle box hit it), thought it would never come back and get myself few G Rods International Pro Bass 7'6". 7'10" and GC7'11" but never go back to the same spot where i used to go.... Bought my G Rods International cause of reading TT's review and they are awesome rods and I have no problem getting all the giants :)

Thought of going back to the old spot so get myself a CNQ904 from TTT and Oh la la.... the 894 came back :D :D :D but still not having a chance to go back yet :)....

The satisfaction of using the NRX 894C JWR to nail all those 8-10 pounder giant snakeheads from heavy cover is just....WOW :).... that's how i feel....

if i go back again to the same spot, I might wanna try the 904C MBR
NRX894 and CNQ904.jpg
NRX894 and CNQ904.jpg (205.23 KiB) Viewed 11085 times
Anyway enjoy your awesome 894C JWR to the best and sorry I am not sure about sensitivity cause i don't do drop shot or bottom contact with it... but 894 makes me smiles everytime i bring her out :)

Regards,
WW

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ayo8 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:38 pm

NOICE!

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:50 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:Congrats and I like the narrative. =D> Interesting thoughts and that is the great thing about the rod market today. So many options to help fill the gaps.

I think the Mets are great on the 3 powered rods and something like the Antares would be nice on the 4 powered rods.

I'd say the FMJ is a half power stronger, not much tip deflection with a 5/16oz+ plastic and stronger all the way through. I could bully big fish with the FMJ, big for me is 4+ I live way up north, my biggest bass this year was 5.4. I caught 3 bass on that rod weighing more than 4lbs. In moderate cover I felt like the FMJ was maybe a bit too much. I had to keep "on" the fish to prevent slack. With the compile-x you can cradle and move them. FMJ sensitivity is great but for some reason with Sunline shooter and a Yamamoto Cowboy I had to hesitate on big fish bites. I knew the fish was there but I wasnt getting that 'tick'. Only with that specific peice of plastic and bass over 3lbs. With the 894 I get enough tip deflection to help with pitches and tip power to flick the bait off weeds. Its got enough emph to lay the hammer and drag half a brush pile back to the boat. The taper seems like Ill get that cradle effect like the compile-X, maybe the compile-x has a touch more tip.. I'd have to fish them side by side. The NRX is noticeably more sensitive within the 3/16 to 3/8oz range, but the FMJ is no slouch, have also heard the sensitivity on the FMJ is better as you get up to and over 1/2oz.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:04 pm

Very nice.

That's how I feel about my NRX 852 and my GLX 842...

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:35 am

Obz wrote:
Fishing4Fun wrote:Congrats and I like the narrative. =D> Interesting thoughts and that is the great thing about the rod market today. So many options to help fill the gaps.

I'd say the FMJ is a half power stronger, not much tip deflection with a 5/16oz+ plastic and stronger all the way through. I could bully big fish with the FMJ, big for me is 4+ I live way up north, my biggest bass this year was 5.4. I caught 3 bass on that rod weighing more than 4lbs. In moderate cover I felt like the FMJ was maybe a bit too much. I had to keep "on" the fish to prevent slack. With the compile-x you can cradle and move them. FMJ sensitivity is great but for some reason with Sunline shooter and a Yamamoto Cowboy I had to hesitate on big fish bites. I knew the fish was there but I wasnt getting that 'tick'. Only with that specific peice of plastic and bass over 3lbs. With the 894 I get enough tip deflection to help with pitches and tip power to flick the bait off weeds. Its got enough emph to lay the hammer and drag half a brush pile back to the boat. The taper seems like Ill get that cradle effect like the compile-X, maybe the compile-x has a touch more tip.. I'd have to fish them side by side. The NRX is noticeably more sensitive within the 3/16 to 3/8oz range, but the FMJ is no slouch, have also heard the sensitivity on the FMJ is better as you get up to and over 1/2oz.
Really appreciate the thoughts and feedback!

johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnnybassboat » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:36 pm

Man I could have saved you a lot of money and time. But that is half the fun I guess. That NRX894 is one of my favorite sticks. I use mine mostly for jigs, but it will work for all kinds of bottom contact baits.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:05 pm

It is a "great" fishing rod. I own over 35 Megabass rods fishing them exclusively for the past 12 years, and it took til last year for me to finally buy one. I was equally as impressed and happy to feel a different taper and power balance. I love my Megabass's rods especially my X7s, but the NRX is the rod all other rods sensitivity is measured by, and Antares are about the smoothest reels i've ever owned. Also a heavier reel and helps balance the rod better. Enjoy your #1 it's a deserving one.

Reservoir
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reservoir » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:40 pm

That’s a beautiful combo you have there. Have you broken it in yet?