Metanium worth the extra cost?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Metanium worth the extra cost?

Post by Matt_3479 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:08 pm

I picked up a couple rods and have yet to purchase reels dedicated for them. I grabbed a glx 894 and a glx 852. I paired them with chronarch mgl’s which I love these reels and was going pick up 2 more to throw on the rods I took these reels off (just couldn’t wait to get the reels as I wanted to fish the rods lol). Got thinking maybe I should try a metanium but I hear from a lot of people for the price increase over the chronarch the benefits are small. Wicked reel but for 200 less so is the chronarch mgl. What’s your thoughts?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Metanium worth the extra cost?

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:07 pm

Matt_3479 wrote:I picked up a couple rods and have yet to purchase reels dedicated for them. I grabbed a glx 894 and a glx 852. I paired them with chronarch mgl’s which I love these reels and was going pick up 2 more to throw on the rods I took these reels off (just couldn’t wait to get the reels as I wanted to fish the rods lol). Got thinking maybe I should try a metanium but I hear from a lot of people for the price increase over the chronarch the benefits are small. Wicked reel but for 200 less so is the chronarch mgl. What’s your thoughts?
People complain of the gears on Metanium MGL's going out. Anyone I know has never had this happen, but I don't know many people with that reel. My Chronarch has been extremely solid and is by far one of my favorite reels. JDM the Metanium MGL can be had for under $300 at times, with the lowest I have seen at around $285 depending on currency exchange. US price versus US price though I personally feel the Chronarch MGL crushes the Metanium for value/performance.

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:01 am

I have several 2013 Metaniums and I love them. Mine are not geary at all. Smooth, light and can cast a mile.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:25 am

I'm all Metanium here :big grin:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:28 pm

That is why I definitely didn't hate on the Met-MGL. Just wanted to let them know that some have brought forward that issue as a possible negative. Even if it were to happen, the Curado K brass gears work. If the JDM sites keep the Metanium prices good that might be my next reel if nothing else comes out...

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:22 pm

Would the metanium mgl make a better finesse reel for my glx 852c to throw weightless senko’s, finesse jigs, shakey head and such. Or would it make a better jig reel for throwing 3/8oz-1/2oz jigs with trailers on my glx 894c?

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:31 pm

Matt_3479 wrote:Would the metanium mgl make a better finesse reel for my glx 852c to throw weightless senko’s, finesse jigs, shakey head and such. Or would it make a better jig reel for throwing 3/8oz-1/2oz jigs with trailers on my glx 894c?
Both.

I use my Met 13 for lighter stuff and my Met MGL for 3/8 and up, but it will do both without a issue.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:29 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Matt_3479 wrote:Would the metanium mgl make a better finesse reel for my glx 852c to throw weightless senko’s, finesse jigs, shakey head and such. Or would it make a better jig reel for throwing 3/8oz-1/2oz jigs with trailers on my glx 894c?
Both.

I use my Met 13 for lighter stuff and my Met MGL for 3/8 and up, but it will do both without a issue.
How do you like the met 13 compared to your mgl or chronarch mgl? I looking st getting a met mgl but see a bunch of 13 Mets for good prices? Are they still worth going after or is it better to just chase the met mgl and chronarch mgl

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:36 pm

I don't prefer one Metanium over the other Metanium.

Basically take you pic, they are both awesome.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:40 pm

I'm a 30# braid guy most of the time. I find the MetMGL will outcast my tuned 13mets with a 1/4oz total weight rig. I tend to use my MetMGL for shakey head and favorite plastics. Use my 13Met's for all other bottom bouncing. All work well I just like the MGL.

My last cleaning showed several teeth torn off my 13Met gear. Tuner thought it was because of braid. Reels are smooth but I know I have 2 gears to replace at next annual full cleaning.

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:14 pm

DavidSA wrote:
My last cleaning showed several teeth torn off my 13Met gear. Tuner thought it was because of braid. Reels are smooth but I know I have 2 gears to replace at next annual full cleaning.
David, was that with the aluminum or brass main gear?

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:07 pm

original Alum

my best guess is I can break teeth and apparently bent the spool using straight braid. I keep drag relatively light but I know I sometimes snap 30# line on the hookset regardless.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:09 pm

by the way to original post- I only own the old Chronarch CI4. I prefer it for moving baits and frogs to my Mets. Mets shine to me on bottom bouncing.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:48 pm

Help a Daiwa guy here with a quickie Chronarch/Metanium/MGL primer - I picked up a couple NRX's and was planning on putting one of my OG Steez's or an Alpha SV on them, but have been thinking about trying an MGL level reel so thought I might pick one up also. Basically will be for soft plastics/jigs/bottom stuff mostly (JWR's)

So there's Metanium MGL, which is the current model I take it? then the 13Met, is that just a previous model,or a different reel altogether? Then the Chonarch MGL, which is one level below the Metanium MGL? I also see some other Met reels out there, MG, MG7, DC etc... I've got Daiwa-Speak down, but lost on these :).

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:00 am

Matt,

When I first got my Met 13, I didn't feel like it was worth the extra money over the Chronarch CI4+. After fishing them both for quite some time now, I now see that the rigidity of the frame does make a difference. If you are looking for performance, I do not think one outshines the other but for form, rigidity and shear fun, I will give the nod to the Met.

78Staff,

Your information above is accurate when it comes to the metanium lineup. MGL is the newest. 13 metanium is the old model and the Chronarch is the reel below it in the lineup.

The MG and MG7 are older JDM only models based on platform as the USDM Core reels. There is an older Metanium DC based of that platform as well as the 15 metanium DC that looks like the 13 and MGL. I have the 15 metanium DC as well and it is a great reel. IMO, no better or worse than the original Metanium casting wise for distance but is a little more manageable when it comes to backlashes.