Curado 70 Gears

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Curado 70 Gears

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:01 pm

Hey guys,
Im wanting to put some brass gears in my Shimano Stile SS reels(JapanTackle info was wrong, they are aluminum and not brass which is why the reel is so much lighter). Was wondering if anyone had a set of Curado 70 or Engetsu gears laying around or a reel apart for maintanence that could give me some measurements. Looking for OD, ID, and thickness. These little reels are extremely nice and fun to use, but would definitely benefit from a gear swap. Thanks for any help anyone can give!

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Curado 70 Gears

Post by a1712 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:17 pm

Try Bantam in the Shimano Support Forum, he'll know. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:55 am

Thanks Brian, will try that.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:29 pm

I've seen this question brought up before, so for anyone interested I received a very detailed response from Bantam(which I have to commend him for getting the info for me, very quick response as well =D> ) and the short answer is no it will not work.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:22 am

So I decided to order the gear set and see what could be done, since Bantam made it sound like it could be possible with some machining. Luckily I didn’t have to make any major changes, and the gear set from the Cu71 HG fit perfectly in my Stile SS 151HG. Only mods that had to be done were punch out the ID of the drag washer from the Stile to fit the inside of the main gear, and drill a hole through the gear to install the clicking drag parts. Also swapped out the aluminum drive shaft for the one out of a Curado 51e, and had to drill the hole at the base for the pins and spring. Cast it around in the yard and feels super smooth. Gonna take it out on the water this afternoon and see how it performs against some redfish. I would guess the Micro Gears from the Engetsu would work as well. Will get some with my next order and see.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:46 am

=D> great work.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:55 am

Thanks! For $25 I had to try it \:D/ Worked perfectly last night.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:17 pm

Hi new here, I registered just to ask you some specific questions regarding Stile SS or Engetsu. These two reels have been in my bucket list long time even before I bought 2 bantam MGL. BTW I also have 3 curado 70 and 1 scorpion 70.
Can you tell me line capacity of stile SS (150 size) compare to those 70 or any 150 size USDM reel.
I see that there are only 4 bearing, which one missing? Pinion shaft support, x-ship bearing?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:36 am

Just_Bass wrote:Hi new here, I registered just to ask you some specific questions regarding Stile SS or Engetsu. These two reels have been in my bucket list long time even before I bought 2 bantam MGL. BTW I also have 3 curado 70 and 1 scorpion 70.
Can you tell me line capacity of stile SS (150 size) compare to those 70 or any 150 size USDM reel.
I see that there are only 4 bearing, which one missing? Pinion shaft support, x-ship bearing?
Welcome to TT! I haven’t measured out the capacity, but transferred line from a 51E onto a Stile and there was line left over on the 50 when I was done. So less capacity than a 50 size, and much less than a 150 size(not sure why they gave it that designation). Bearings are located on each side of the pinion(Xship), one on the spool shaft, and one in the non handle side plate. No driveshaft bearing which is probably the best place to have a bushing anyways. I swapped mine for a bearing. No knob bearings, but bushings can be swapped out for 4 bearings.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:42 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Just_Bass wrote:Hi new here, I registered just to ask you some specific questions regarding Stile SS or Engetsu. These two reels have been in my bucket list long time even before I bought 2 bantam MGL. BTW I also have 3 curado 70 and 1 scorpion 70.
Welcome to TT! I haven’t measured out the capacity, but transferred line from a 51E onto a Stile and there was line left over on the 50 when I was done. So less capacity than a 50 size, and much less than a 150 size(not sure why they gave it that designation). Bearings are located on each side of the pinion(Xship), one on the spool shaft, and one in the non handle side plate. No driveshaft bearing which is probably the best place to have a bushing anyways. I swapped mine for a bearing. No knob bearings, but bushings can be swapped out for 4 bearings.
Thanks a lot these info help me a lot. Too bad those spool (stile & engetsu) are as heavy as curado 70 spool otherwise it would make a nice semi BFS reel.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:16 am

I still need to weigh the spool one of these days. Seems very light in hand. It’s listed as a saltwater finesse reel and has the finesse VBS brake system, but not sure how low it will go. I bought the first for easy bomb casting 1/2-5/8oz topwaters and twitch baits and with 1 brake on will completely dump the spool with zero line fluff. Started throwing 1/4oz jerkbaits and it will cast them with ease a long distance. I’ve got some 3/16oz Flash Minnows I still need to cast to see how it handles them.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:22 am

Stuck this big girl yesterday on a Flash Minnow 95MR. Brass is getting the job done out there. Not sure what’s happens to the picture quality when posted on this forum???

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Got my scale out the other day as I was doing a full service and modifications to another one of my Stiles. Here’s a few weights and comparisons of spools. Compared it to a Curado 51e and Aldebaran 51mg spool. Stile spool comes with a bearing on the spool shaft, so I weighed it with and without bearing, and spools were weighed with and without line.

Spools:
Curado 70(didn’t weigh, found on TT)- 15.7g
Curado 51e- 11.3g
Stile SS w/bearing- 13.5
Without bearing- 12g

Aldebaran 51mg w/line-17.9
Stile SS w/line and bearing-18g

With these findings we can see the Stile spool is basically the same weight as the Aldebaran spool with line plus the added weight of the bearing. Bearing weighed 1.5g so an even comparison would be 17.9g for the Alde and 16.5g for the Stile. I’ve been wondering why the Stile cast 3/16 and 1/4oz so much further than Alde, and this spool weight and VBS finesse brakes combined with Xship really makes this reel a casting machine.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:41 am

Thanks for all the info. Damn I have to think very hard, I don't need any more finesse reel since all my 70, alde MG7, scorpion 1000xt and Daiwa Alphas 105 can handle these job easily but I really like the 70 platform. I just hope for deeper spool for 70 body.
BTW, why you swap out aluminum gear on stile?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:04 am

Just_Bass wrote:Thanks for all the info. Damn I have to think very hard, I don't need any more finesse reel since all my 70, alde MG7, scorpion 1000xt and Daiwa Alphas 105 can handle these job easily but I really like the 70 platform. I just hope for deeper spool for 70 body.
BTW, why you swap out aluminum gear on stile?
No problem at all, I was definitely curious. No real reason to purchase with the reels you already have in your collection, just adding a shallow spool to those reels would probably even them out some on the really light weights and it would be cheaper. One issue with this reel is if you wanted to go to a shallower or deeper spool. I don’t believe one is made so you are stuck with stock spool. Not a bad thing, but something to keep in mind. The clicking drag is a really nice touch, one I wish all baitcasters had.

Have you ever used a reel with the Corefit body? Its probably my favorite feature and really makes the reel feel tiny, and extremely comfortable to palm. The Curado 70 is already pretty small, but this thing takes it to another level.

I fish saltwater, 5-7 days a week and the brass gears simply outlast the aluminum gears. I don’t have time to constantly clean my reels, so to go from once a week maintenance to once every couple months removes some of the headache. Better durability, smoothness and power are all pluses for me with brass.