Chronarch MGL grainy feeling

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
hokiehi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Chronarch MGL grainy feeling

Post by hokiehi » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:15 pm

I got the Chronarch last april and it's been a gem since, but recently it's been acting up and feeling really grainy on the retrieve. I had the gears greased but the problem only went away for a very short period of time before returning. Has anyone else had this issue?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Chronarch MGL grainy feeling

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:27 pm

It sounds like the gears may need replacement. They do wear with use. I suggest sending the reel in so we can take a look at it.

hokiehi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hokiehi » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:01 pm

Will do, thank you

That said, should I expect for this issue to pop up again in my other Chronarch or could it be just a lemon?

maibinenu
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by maibinenu » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:25 pm

The gears should be replaced.
I had a Metanium 13 with the same issue. Buttery smooth ...until, in spite of a thorough maintenance and lubrication, began to feel rough
Brass is stronger in the case of Chronoarch but with time its happening the same ....

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:03 am

Several things can affect gear feel and wear rates. Send the reel in and we will inspect it. There could be a tolerance issue, or just simply a worn set of gears.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:37 pm

hokiehi wrote:I got the Chronarch last april and it's been a gem since, but recently it's been acting up and feeling really grainy on the retrieve. I had the gears greased but the problem only went away for a very short period of time before returning. Has anyone else had this issue?

Any update on this? I have the exact same "grainy" feeling on my chronarch mgl after only a few months of use.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:33 am

Bantam, is it possible people are just feeling the micro gears? Every time I see a post like this it worries me, but then my worry disappears remembering my Chronarch is as solid as the day I unboxed it. It does have a "different" feel though than my Zillion's or even than the old Chronarch Ci4+ did. Either way I have gotten used to it and really like how it feels, I just think some people might perceive the feeling of micro gears in a composite framed reel incorrectly...

hokiehi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hokiehi » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:15 am

1nutinthewater wrote:
hokiehi wrote:I got the Chronarch last april and it's been a gem since, but recently it's been acting up and feeling really grainy on the retrieve. I had the gears greased but the problem only went away for a very short period of time before returning. Has anyone else had this issue?

Any update on this? I have the exact same "grainy" feeling on my chronarch mgl after only a few months of use.
I was going to send it in but life got in the way and once summer rolled around, I was too busy fishing to justify losing a reel for a month. That said, I did have a guy clean and lube it and the feeling hasn’t quite gone away. I’m chalking it up to it being the feel of the micro gears meshing, although I don’t know why my other Chronarch hasn’t had the same problem yet

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:00 am

I think its because the MM gears are so smooth to start with that any little wear is more noticeable when compared to the standard module gears. Gears do wear and they will need to be replaced from time to time.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:58 pm

Not sure if has anything to do with the grainy feeling but I did add a spool clicker kit into the reel when new and proceeded to catch 20-25 steel head with it last winter in maybe 15 days on the water so it does not have much use. I have multiple Tatula's with much more use that are all still very smooth.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:00 pm

I's t's hard to say without having the reel in my hand to hear or feel what's going on. I suggest sending the reel in for service/repair.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:03 pm

Will do! Thanks for your input.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:20 am

Bantam, do I recall you advising somewhere to use ACT 2 drag grease of the micro gears to reduce/eliminate the grainy feel? Anyway, that is what I have doing so far and no problems.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:02 am

We use ACE-2 on all of our baitcast reel gears.