G1 1012SV in an SS SV?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

G1 1012SV in an SS SV?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:40 am

Anybody running the SLP G1 1012SV in your SS SV? Just curious what the performance is like. I'd imagine they play well together. Probably not as good as in a Steez SV TW or T3, due to the magnetic polarity of the reel, but it seems as though it should be a lot better than the stock spool. Just wanted to make sure their weren't any rotor / fitment issues.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: G1 1012SV in an SS SV?

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:10 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Anybody running the SLP G1 1012SV in your SS SV? Just curious what the performance is like. I'd imagine they play well together. Probably not as good as in a Steez SV TW or T3, due to the magnetic polarity of the reel, but it seems as though it should be a lot better than the stock spool. Just wanted to make sure their weren't any rotor / fitment issues.
Think it fits perfect, the SS/SV uses the bearing cage too right? I know the 1016 Zillion SV TW spool is great in mine, the 1012 SV G1 should only be better, because the 1016 Zillion SV TW could use a bit less braking (which I think the 1012 SV G1 fits this bill). I wish they made a shallow version of the G1 Steez A spool w/ Mag-Z, been even more impressed with the stock Steez A spool in my SS.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:53 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:Anybody running the SLP G1 1012SV in your SS SV? Just curious what the performance is like. I'd imagine they play well together. Probably not as good as in a Steez SV TW or T3, due to the magnetic polarity of the reel, but it seems as though it should be a lot better than the stock spool. Just wanted to make sure their weren't any rotor / fitment issues.
Think it fits perfect, the SS/SV uses the bearing cage too right? I know the 1016 Zillion SV TW spool is great in mine, the 1012 SV G1 should only be better, because the 1016 Zillion SV TW could use a bit less braking (which I think the 1012 SV G1 fits this bill). I wish they made a shallow version of the G1 Steez A spool w/ Mag-Z, been even more impressed with the stock Steez A spool in my SS.
How much better would you say the Zillion spool is over the stock SS spool? Does it open up the reel enough to justify the expense of purchasing the Zillion spool?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:21 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
How much better would you say the Zillion spool is over the stock SS spool? Does it open up the reel enough to justify the expense of purchasing the Zillion spool?
Depends on what you are using it for. I sold my stock SS/SV spool to a user on here; it weighs right at 15 grams w/ bearing. Think the Zillion SV TW is close to 12-13 grams with bearing. The inductor on the G1 SV TW Zillion spool is MUCH smaller, and therefore will help you get better distance and coupled with the reduced weight it makes a pretty big difference overall. I could throw so crazy light cranks/jerkbaits with the Zillion SV TW spool in the SS/SV. I could also throw very light with the stock SS/SV, it just didn't get much distance. My wife even fished a 1/8 Road Runner with 2" grub one day on the stock SS/SV, only issue was once again distance.
Another route you could take would be to order the Zillion SV TW inductor and a Type R+ Zillion spring to really free the spool up. Either way my honest opinion was that it was worth it for me. I finesse/river fish 90% of the time so the increase in light lure ability was key for me. To be able to throw lighter lures was great, but to get more distance with lighter baits is what sold me on the Zillion SV TW spool versus stock SS/SV. I could have an extra Zillion SV TW spool coming up, but will probably just keep it if I can't grab a few extra $ or at least break even on it. I wanted to step up to the G1 1012 SV, but most feedback I have gotten tells me to go ahead with the shallow ZPI for the price...

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:57 pm

Talked to someone who almost fishes SS SVs exclusively. He said that the G1 1012SV is very fast and wild in this platform. The inductor is smaller than that of the Zillion SV TW, so it makes sense. The G1 1012SV and Zpi Nrc001-m perform close to neck and neck, so it is likely fast and wild in an SS as well.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:37 pm

I have tried my SLP 1012SV G1 spool in the SS again, and while it is fast I am quite enjoying it and gets very good distance.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:00 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:I have tried my SLP 1012SV G1 spool in the SS again, and while it is fast I am quite enjoying it and gets very good distance.
You're killing me brother. I'm on to another project now. You will see it later this week.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:20 am

I have a 1012 SV spool in an SS SV and I like it a lot. It will absolutely launch a weightless Senko and very light T-rigs. I havent had the spool in there long, but it doesnt seem wild to me at all, even with the cc cap set to just remove side-to-side spool play and the magforce dial set to just below the half-way point. I did click the magforce up one click the other day when I was fishing in windy conditions.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:31 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:I have a 1012 SV spool in an SS SV and I like it a lot. It will absolutely launch a weightless Senko and very light T-rigs. I havent had the spool in there long, but it doesnt seem wild to me at all, even with the cc cap set to just remove side-to-side spool play and the magforce dial set to just below the half-way point. I did click the magforce up one click the other day when I was fishing in windy conditions.
Thanks Tim. It seems they should be a near perfect pairing

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:18 pm

What type of line do you use with 1012SV spools? Will 16 lb fluorocarbon be too much?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:04 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:I have a 1012 SV spool in an SS SV and I like it a lot. It will absolutely launch a weightless Senko and very light T-rigs. I havent had the spool in there long, but it doesnt seem wild to me at all, even with the cc cap set to just remove side-to-side spool play and the magforce dial set to just below the half-way point. I did click the magforce up one click the other day when I was fishing in windy conditions.
No problem.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:09 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
No problem.
PBP wrote:What type of line do you use with 1012SV spools? Will 16 lb fluorocarbon be too much?
I use 20# powerpro superslick 8 on mine. That spool will only hold about 65-70 yds of 16# flouro, and you will likely cast all that off lol!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:20 pm

PBP wrote:What type of line do you use with 1012SV spools? Will 16 lb fluorocarbon be too much?
I probably wouldn't use heavier than 14 lb if it's a thin diameter line. 12 is the biggest I run

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:51 pm

Thank you.
I guess 1016 pool will be fine for 16 lb test,?
I don't have any daiwa reels, only shimano.Want to try one and thinking of getting zillion sv tw.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:27 pm

PBP wrote:Thank you.
I guess 1016 pool will be fine for 16 lb test,?
I don't have any daiwa reels, only shimano.Want to try one and thinking of getting zillion sv tw.
Yes, about 90 yds of 16# fouro should fit on the 1016 spool.