Shimano Expride glass rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Shimano Expride glass rods

Post by Rodster14 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:31 am

I have never owned a glass rod, but I am considering an Expride 7.2 MH glass rod. I currently have an IMX PRO 845CBR for squarebills and mid divers and a 906CBR for mid and deep divers. They are good rods. I only own one Expride, which is a 6'10 Medium. I like how light it is and especially how far it casts. I think it is the Spiral-x technology. I am thinking that would help with casting cranks. Does anyone has experience with these rods?

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Expride glass rods

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:02 am

I wonder what glass is used, I prefer S glass...E glass is to heavy and soft for me.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:49 am

I have two of the expride 7'2 meg hvy glass rods and love them. Very versatile rods for moving baits . works great for chatter baits, spinnerbaits, cranks, and topwaters. now this being said i have dedicated spinnerbait and topwater rods but this will handle them all it has mainly become my chatter and square bill rod. It has a soft tip and loads great on the cast but still has great backbone to the rod. i have not weighed the rod but i can tell its lighter than some of my other glass rods being st croix legend glass models. I have several of the new expride models and the crank rod is one of my favorites.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:49 am

i use one as my dedicated chatterbait rod :)

jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbabin193 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:23 am

I have the 7-2 composite expride... it's not 100% glass, it's a composite rod similar to say a dobyns "glass" rod.

It's a great stick in terms of quality, strength, etc. I got it for chatterbaits and it does that well, but i personally settled on my kistler h3 H 7'-0" rod as my go to chatterbait rod. perfect action for it in my opinion, and you get great sensitivity.

I tried throwing 5xd's on the expride, but didn't like it for that. i'm sure it would make a decent squarebill rod. should also make a decent spook rod or say even a whopper plopper rod.

DChiWildcats
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DChiWildcats » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:58 pm

Have 2. Dedicated chatterbait rods.