Problems with my Curado K

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
jc_32
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Problems with my Curado K

Post by jc_32 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:08 am

the pad on my Curado K fell off as well. how can i get a new pad or button?
thx

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu May 31, 2018 1:52 pm

Give us a call at 877-577-0600 and we will send you a replacement that you can glue on yourself, or you can send the reel in for us to complete.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:32 am

I just bought a lightly used second hand K.

Came with a complimentary spare thumb bar plate in the box.

Hmm what a design for a thumb bar?

Couldn't it just have been a simple single piece moulding??

Also the question begs - has anyone removed the plastic frame hood (removal of 3 screws) ? Was yours glued on with what looks like hot glue?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:58 pm

I suspect someone received a replacement clutch button and did not install it. There has been a running change to the button and the way it is assembled.

The hood piece should not be removed. This is there for appearance and to help create a flat mating surface for the side plates. The glue is there to help hold it in place along with the fasteners. If you look at the schematic it is considered part of the frame and should not be removed. Make sure you apply a little super glue to it for reassembly. The glue used does not gas out and create a white film like other glues. This is why is was selected and used. There is no reason to remove that part of the frame.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:54 pm

I remember seeing the build pics for the reel earlier on and thought that this Ci4+ plastic piece was removable and considered a replacement consumable part if needed - like other reels previously - lets be honest the top hood gets a flogging compared to other parts of the reel.

As i mentioned previously this area would make an excellent hiding hole for corrosion to build up under while people dont suspect, especially from oils and sweat from your hands creeping into those segment cracks - especially in our salty and hot climate - you only have to see my pics of that poor Calais I recently got to appreciate my concerns.

I put the hood back on - applied the 3 screws and it was plenty stable, so a good coating of Lanolin under it will be applied and reassembled as such - no glue necessary in my case.

Just cant see why a plastic hood for the frame which couldve been a replacement part cheaper than replacing the whole frame wasnt a option than mating the two parts for life?

The reel has some interesting directions in quality and tech - some i see and some i dont in regarding to the marketing spiel.

Cant wait to bung in the lower ratio gear set and put it to work and how it performs against my B, E, G & I Curado's - casting more over anything else.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:07 am

In testing we had zero corrosion issues in that location. I'm not the engineer so I can only tell you what I was told, which I did in the previous post.

As to what you fail to see please elaborate and I will break it down. There are no smoke and mirrors with the K. It's a Curado with an aluminum frame, MicroModule gears, latest version of SVS, etc.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:31 am

Well having owned now numerous reels and service many which have had all sorts off issues ranging from minor mechanical to major corrosion.

I cant see much difference in build other than the handle shaft support bearing, MM* gears, inner plastic scuff plate, and the multi piece frame from over previous models - SVS system aside (which doesnt worry me that much). The thumb bar is a perplexing issue as to the whole two piece design - both thumb plates are exactly the same after looking at both carefully - cant see why the second was included??

I am a Shimano owner, user and supporter through and through (just look at my Instagram alone) - but i cant "**honestly**" see much of an upgrade to the reel overall in great tangible hands on and eyes on ways that would say 'X' dollar increase vs benefit over say an I or even previous models, especially for an every day knock about fisher like myself and many others that look to upgrade.

As i said when the new gear set arrives and it goes back together I'll give it a good run and go from there, but can't see how it'll be that much better than even my beloved E or even G series?

That hood piece - at least people can be aware now, of the void under it and can choose to remove it for inspection / corrosion mitigation if necessary - shame its not a spare part honestly.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:35 am

I don't know why a second button was in the box. I have never seen that happen before. You mentioned you bought the reel second hand, so maybe the original owner ordered a replacement?

The hood piece is not a concern you should have. It will not corrode and should never fail under normal use. Honestly I think you are thinking way too much about it. Fish the reel and enjoy it. Most of the reels do not have this piece. If the frame is damaged then the frame is replaced as a whole. There is no reason to offer the hood as a replacement part. I realize this is TT and most of you over analyze everything. The Curado is an everyday use type reel with no extra bells and whistles. It is a solid performing reel across the board.

The reel to me fishes like a refined E model, but smoother and casts slightly better. Is it a Bantam? No. It's a Curado and they have been very durable to date.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Hard to say why either but i have a spare.

The hood i thought was a replaceable part a consumable piece so that if it were scratched or damaged could be replaced ratger than the whole frame. That's where i am going with my thoughts - why replace a expensive frame if you can replace a plastic hood?

There is no over analysis - just cutting through the chaf to say.

Well I'll get to play with a Bantam soon enough - price wise same between the Curado K and a imported Bantam here in Aus.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:48 pm

Has the thumb bar been fixed yet?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:14 am

A running change took place a few months ago. First there was a change with the adhesive which seemed to take care of any issues. The current production methods have solved the problem from what I have seen.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:06 am

Thanks bantam1

chillyredfishhunter
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by chillyredfishhunter » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:45 pm

Mine fell off into the water today. What's the process for getting this warrantied?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:21 am

chillyredfishhunter wrote:Mine fell off into the water today. What's the process for getting this warrantied?
Send $179 plus shipping and select model.

chillyredfishhunter
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by chillyredfishhunter » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:10 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
chillyredfishhunter wrote:Mine fell off into the water today. What's the process for getting this warrantied?
Send $179 plus shipping and select model.
It's the right hand 8.5:1. Pleasd send me the link to your PayPal account and I'll pay for it right now.