Aldebaran mgl vs. non mgl

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Aldebaran mgl vs. non mgl

Post by 5bites » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:07 pm

Is there any discernible difference in actual performance in these? I hate to lose line capacity but I’m also a sucker for the latest and greatest.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Aldebaran mgl vs. non mgl

Post by Hennessy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:36 pm

I was worried about line capacity also. Looking at both spools the mgl is noticeably shallow but the line capacity is 10 yds max difference. I run 10lb p line tactical and no issues. It throws a weightless fluke pretty far, more so than the '15 alde. The upgrade is worth it

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:01 am

Thank you for the reply. I should add that this will be a pitching reel for baits primarily in the 3/8-1/2oz range.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:02 am

5bites wrote:Thank you for the reply. I should add that this will be a pitching reel for baits primarily in the 3/8-1/2oz range.
Line capacity should be no issue as a pitching reel. Where I think the alde shines though as a finesse casting reel. Maybe 1/8-1/4oz reel for pitching finesse baits. For me, for those weights you listed, I'd want a more powerful reel. And if I'm pitching those weights it'd would be around some kind of cover and I'd prefer a 8 gear ratio so the metanium mgl would be my #1 choice.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:18 am

I’m considering one actually. I’m a sucker for super light weight and small size though. I have a chronarch mgl that pitches excellent but I’m kinda wanting to build an ultimate combo. If shimano made a magnesium curado 71 I’d be all over that.

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by arrowslinger1 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:25 am

When I bought these i took the line straight from my non mgl alds and maybe had 15-20 ft left over. They are basically identical.
Thats speaking of the ald 30mgl from japan. The casting performance is noticeably better.