Post purple

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Post purple

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:52 pm

y2k88 wrote:Hyuga 6 pc

Gear I no longer have.
Calfish painted Chronard D with Avail parts

Daiwa Heartland-Z Ryuron spinning rod
That Heartland :shock:
Sexy

s2k4mee
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by s2k4mee » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:11 am

Casting Rod Specifications
BLANK – NFC MB 665-1 HM extended to 7’ with carbon fiber woven tube
SEAT – Matagi Andromeda ECS
FORE GRIP – KDPS with Matagi CB-K16SM
REAR GRIP – Matagi EACS-SPb split EVA grip
GUIDES – Fuji Concept SiC guides spiral wrapped to the reel handle side. Left side
THREAD COLORS – Purple
KEEPER – Drop shot keeper. Right side
DECAL – Princess Limmilicious
OTHER DETAILS – Purple Matagi accessories ( K16LR, RSR, CBTOP, D16FR, HTWCB’s), Matagi balancer

REEL
Custom Daiwa Steez 100HLA painted by Calfish
Upgraded Carbontex drag
Upgraded Boca bearings
Ito carbon fiber handle
Bassart Knob GRK101 Purple

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:27 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^WINNER^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:43 pm

s2k4mee -
That's just sick. I also have matching reels with custom rods, some reels painted. It's a sickness. Love the combo, except the knobs if I'm being honest. Cork or something black would set it on fire

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:58 pm

Great build =D>

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:53 pm

So maybe I am behind, but I am the kind of person who finds out what I don't know even if it is embarrassing...

So why are those guides that way? It seems like that would destroy casting distance, but I remember some other company releasing FW rods like that too. I understood for saltwater where you might not cast, but what is the deal with that guide train? Does it help sensitivity or like shift load a certain way to the blank? Just wondered and wanted to know.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:58 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:So maybe I am behind, but I am the kind of person who finds out what I don't know even if it is embarrassing...

So why are those guides that way? It seems like that would destroy casting distance, but I remember some other company releasing FW rods like that too. I understood for saltwater where you might not cast, but what is the deal with that guide train? Does it help sensitivity or like shift load a certain way to the blank? Just wondered and wanted to know.
Spiral wrapping of the guides on the blank. My X4 711 is this way and it does not affect casting distance. The advantage is for non bass rod applications for casting rods in that under load the rod will not want to twist in your hands because the guides are on the bottom of the rod. Maybe in an offshore rod or something it makes sense but in a bass rod is the builder showing off their mad skills or adding a bit of flair to the build. My x4 711 has it because Megabass.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:17 am

LowRange wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:So maybe I am behind, but I am the kind of person who finds out what I don't know even if it is embarrassing...

Spiral wrapping of the guides on the blank. My X4 711 is this way and it does not affect casting distance. The advantage is for non bass rod applications for casting rods in that under load the rod will not want to twist in your hands because the guides are on the bottom of the rod. Maybe in an offshore rod or something it makes sense but in a bass rod is the builder showing off their mad skills or adding a bit of flair to the build. My x4 711 has it because Megabass.

Thank you. From an engineering perspective I picture it as the line being a pendulum while fighting a fish. a spinning rod with bigger guides has the pendulum hanging below so it's not really affected. A casting rod would have a pendulum feel on top and if it gets too far on either side it "twists" like you said. That helped me put it in perspective, not sure if it's an accurate way to describe it though.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:06 pm

I have a rod built by our own vinnieb729. It is my 1st spiral-wrapped rod and after using it, I understand the logic. This rod is built on a 7' UL moderate Batson Eternity popping blank. This blank isnt whippy by any means, but under load it flexes very deeply. If it had guides on top, the line would rub the blank between the guides. With the spiral-wrap, there are less guides required. That lets the rod load without fear of line rub. And since the build requires less guides, it translates to a lighter, crisper tip. It is truly a joy when fishing light cranks and it seems to have no effect on casting distance, even with tiny 2 gram cranks.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:31 pm

New from Abu... Ike Series update...
0F01024E-A000-4F04-822C-9B450AAC4EBF.jpeg
0F01024E-A000-4F04-822C-9B450AAC4EBF.jpeg (388.18 KiB) Viewed 10907 times
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:30 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:

I have a rod built by our own vinnieb729. It is my 1st spiral-wrapped rod and after using it, I understand the logic. This rod is built on a 7' UL moderate Batson Eternity popping blank. This blank isnt whippy by any means, but under load it flexes very deeply. If it had guides on top, the line would rub the blank between the guides. With the spiral-wrap, there are less guides required. That lets the rod load without fear of line rub. And since the build requires less guides, it translates to a lighter, crisper tip. It is truly a joy when fishing light cranks and it seems to have no effect on casting distance, even with tiny 2 gram cranks.
And he saw the light, even though he was late to the party :lol:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:07 am

Now I want one. Gonna get out pliers, super glue, and duct tape. Just take off on whatever expensive rod I like best? Just kidding, but I really would like to try this technology/design. Seeing a rod built like that cast a 3 gram lure would be mind blowing. Just the thought of how line flows during a cast confused me about the whole concept of wrapped guides.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:29 am

Vinnie's explanation of the necessity on this particular rod convinced me to try it, though I've always thought it was just a gimmick on most rods. But it really works beautifully on my rod, and it has Fuji K Ti/SiC micros. I still dont see the need on anything more than a medium powered bass rod, though on saltwater rods that literally bend into a rainbow arc under heavy loads, I can definitely see the benefit.
To the OP-sorry for the rabbit trail, maybe we can get this on back on topic.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by aussiebasser » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:56 pm

Did someone say Purple?

Sadly the Zombie Z was stolen recently, if you see it for sale, let me know. I'd like to catch the guy who has it. :evil:
Attachments
zillionhlc2sm.jpg
zillionhlc2sm.jpg (138.83 KiB) Viewed 10659 times
zombie2sm.jpg
zombie2sm.jpg (245.65 KiB) Viewed 10659 times
violacombocrsm.jpg
violacombocrsm.jpg (266.39 KiB) Viewed 10659 times

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:19 pm

aussiebasser wrote:Did someone say Purple?

Sadly the Zombie Z was stolen recently, if you see it for sale, let me know. I'd like to catch the guy who has it. :evil:
That is a shame. Your Zombie Z is one of my favorites on this site. What a loss.