Between daiwa sv light ltd 8.1 and shimano scorpion bfs xg

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mdrap76
Angler
Angler

Between daiwa sv light ltd 8.1 and shimano scorpion bfs xg

Post by mdrap76 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:03 pm

:D Hi to all tackletour guy,need advice and opinion between daiwa sv light ltd 8.1 and shimano scorpion bfs xg which is superior in term of casting (distance&smoothness for lure weight between 3gram to 15gram),torque,retrieve smoothness (without&with load when fish on) and other extra feature advantage of each reel.Thanks in advance for all advice&guidance.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Between daiwa sv light ltd 8.1 and shimano scorpion bfs xg

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:46 pm

SV Light is going to be more versatile. It is capable of casting 3 grams but, the Scorpion BFS will be a little better. Going up in weight from there, the SV Light is going to be better for sure.

As far as smoothness, the SV Light is pretty dang smooth. It is connected and is no play in the gears or handle. I have the 16 Aldebaran BFS and the SV Light is smoother and has better tolerances.

If you will be casting more than 3-4gr most times, I'd go for the SV Light.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:04 am

I am not sure of the SV Light's frame material, but I know it is the same body style as the SS/SV and Steez SV ($400 one). These reels are Japanese made models (not Thailand like mid and lower tier Daiwa's) and feel great. My SS/SV has aluminum gears and what some describe as hollow, but I have experienced zero issues. That frame is still tops of my smoothest reels. I am not sure of the gears in the SV LIGHT, but sometimes the 8.1 is brass which helps.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:54 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:I am not sure of the SV Light's frame material, but I know it is the same body style as the SS/SV and Steez SV ($400 one). These reels are Japanese made models (not Thailand like mid and lower tier Daiwa's) and feel great. My SS/SV has aluminum gears and what some describe as hollow, but I have experienced zero issues. That frame is still tops of my smoothest reels. I am not sure of the gears in the SV LIGHT, but sometimes the 8.1 is brass which helps.
The SV light doesn't feel quite as hollow and definitely less geary than an SS SV. I had the 8:1 light limited

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:23 pm

How does the SV Light feel compared to the Steez SV103XS?

mdrap76
Angler
Angler

Post by mdrap76 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:23 pm

Thanks ccass,dirtyD64&hogsticker2 for above valueable experience info, all info are important to me as guidance to make right decision .Anybody know the profile size(palmability) of sv light ltd,is it equal to ss air size.In term of braking system between ftb magnet vs sv light magnet system which is superior to control spool overrun during casting if the both spool tension knob is set to no side to side movement for total lure weight above 3gram.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:56 pm

mdrap76 wrote:Thanks ccass,dirtyD64&hogsticker2 for above valueable experience info, all info are important to me as guidance to make right decision .Anybody know the profile size(palmability) of sv light ltd,is it equal to ss air size.In term of braking system between ftb magnet vs sv light magnet system which is superior to control spool overrun during casting if the both spool tension knob is set to no side to side movement for total lure weight above 3gram.
SV Light and the SS AIR share the same frame. I'd go with the SV Light for your situation in terms of casting.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:48 pm

Big-Bass wrote:How does the SV Light feel compared to the Steez SV103XS?
Steez SV103 feels more solid to me, as it should due to frame material.

mdrap76
Angler
Angler

Post by mdrap76 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:56 am

Bro ccass,dirtyd64,hogsticker2&all,i need your personnal experience between ftb and sv light ltd magnet brake system which one is superior&less finnicky to adjust when we set the spool tension knob where there no side to side play to achieve easy of cast and to control spool overrun during casting process especially overrun at early stage of cast.I downsize my choice of reel to the above reel bcoz what i hear that magnet brake system is superior for bfs application.My decision right now is heavily toward sv light ltd based on all valueable info above,final step is to go to the nearest tackleshop and test drive both reel to feel by hand the retrieve sensation,reel material sensation (feel by hand)&paint job quality(eye inspection&touch feel), :big grin:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:34 am

mdrap76 wrote:Bro ccass,dirtyd64,hogsticker2&all,i need your personnal experience between ftb and sv light ltd magnet brake system which one is superior&less finnicky to adjust when we set the spool tension knob where there no side to side play to achieve easy of cast and to control spool overrun during casting process especially overrun at early stage of cast.I downsize my choice of reel to the above reel bcoz what i hear that magnet brake system is superior for bfs application.My decision right now is heavily toward sv light ltd based on all valueable info above,final step is to go to the nearest tackleshop and test drive both reel to feel by hand the retrieve sensation,reel material sensation (feel by hand)&paint job quality(eye inspection&touch feel), :big grin:
I can't give much on personal experience, never owned a true BFS reel. I am mainly going off of other information I have read and from reading specs to convey sizes and predicted actions. But from that, I can tell you any SV style Daiwa with the rotating inductor will give more control than a more linear magnetic brake like Shimano's FTB or like the Alphas Air Stream Custom. Some people like linear magnetic control for UL/BFS applications, but I haven't quite figured out why. Maybe the linear mag's give more control throughout the cast (always in magnetic field) and the SV style lets go to give more distance. The opposite has justification too though because SV spools are generally known for more control. As far as quality, I would say almost all of the aforementioned reels won't let you down and will all be around the same level of refinement. Maybe only a Conquest BFS will convincingly top them.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:52 pm

mdrap76 wrote:Bro ccass,dirtyd64,hogsticker2&all,i need your personnal experience between ftb and sv light ltd magnet brake system which one is superior&less finnicky to adjust when we set the spool tension knob where there no side to side play to achieve easy of cast and to control spool overrun during casting process especially overrun at early stage of cast.I downsize my choice of reel to the above reel bcoz what i hear that magnet brake system is superior for bfs application.My decision right now is heavily toward sv light ltd based on all valueable info above,final step is to go to the nearest tackleshop and test drive both reel to feel by hand the retrieve sensation,reel material sensation (feel by hand)&paint job quality(eye inspection&touch feel), :big grin:
I've never used the Scorpion bfs XG, but I would imagine the SV light would be less fickle, as Daiwa seems to reign Supreme in the world of magnetic braking. Especially considering it has an SV /Air spool. I can make a sloppy, side winged cast with the brake dial set to 6-7, and it's just fine - no fluff. Even with a 1/16 oz lead head with a small plastic - and not to shabby on the distance. With an appropriate rod, I'm sure you will be satisfied, and then some.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:34 pm

ccass wrote:
mdrap76 wrote:Thanks ccass,dirtyD64&hogsticker2 for above valueable experience info, all info are important to me as guidance to make right decision .Anybody know the profile size(palmability) of sv light ltd,is it equal to ss air size.In term of braking system between ftb magnet vs sv light magnet system which is superior to control spool overrun during casting if the both spool tension knob is set to no side to side movement for total lure weight above 3gram.
SV Light and the SS AIR share the same frame. I'd go with the SV Light for your situation in terms of casting.
not quite , have a closer look and the sv light looks like a steez ex frame re molded for a 32mm OD spool, steez side plate . not sure on gears.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:57 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
ccass wrote:
not quite , have a closer look and the sv light looks like a steez ex frame re molded for a 32mm OD spool, steez side plate . not sure on gears.
Good point. There are some minor cosmetic differences. Palms the same.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:37 am

Any one heard if the SV Light will ever make a USA appearance.

If not where is best price to buy from ?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:52 am

E73Bass wrote:Any one heard if the SV Light will ever make a USA appearance.

If not where is best price to buy from ?
Plat has them on sale now.