Steez A Question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Steez A Question

Post by stingray23 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:01 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
stingray23 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
stingray23 wrote:Mine came in today. Feels like a really nice reel. Love the weight of it. Just perfect. Disappointed it doest come with reel oil or a Steez reel cover. Gonna look more into the spools and change those paddle knobs. Cant wait to try it out.
Is yours a JDM Steez A also??? I just got my Paypal account setup and am very excited. How long for it to come in??? I am also still debating paying a little more for the US model and getting a warranty, just not sure if it is worth the extra and I REALLY DON'T want a 7 speed. Been a few times the Zillion SV TW 7.3 and Chronarch MGL 7.1 have me desiring more speed...

To be honest, I dont know if its JDM or not. Is there a way to tell on the box? I bought mine off of a vendor on ebay thats located in the states. I find the 7.1 speed to be perfect. Have too many 6.XX ratio reels already.
I think if it is JDM the instructions will be in Japanese primarily. Think my SS/SV is ALL Japanese writing. Either way what do you think of it? If I can pull the trigger on a JDM XH tonight I will get a spool and eventually knobs...
I just got it on Monday so I havent had the time to fish it yet. Just from playing with it, I really like it. I like the weight of it, its smooth and well built. BTW, the instructions came in both Japanese and English

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:01 pm

stingray23 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
stingray23 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
stingray23 wrote:Mine came in today. Feels like a really nice reel. Love the weight of it. Just perfect. Disappointed it doest come with reel oil or a Steez reel cover. Gonna look more into the spools and change those paddle knobs. Cant wait to try it out.
Is yours a JDM Steez A also??? I just got my Paypal account setup and am very excited. How long for it to come in??? I am also still debating paying a little more for the US model and getting a warranty, just not sure if it is worth the extra and I REALLY DON'T want a 7 speed. Been a few times the Zillion SV TW 7.3 and Chronarch MGL 7.1 have me desiring more speed...

To be honest, I dont know if its JDM or not. Is there a way to tell on the box? I bought mine off of a vendor on ebay thats located in the states. I find the 7.1 speed to be perfect. Have too many 6.XX ratio reels already.
I think if it is JDM the instructions will be in Japanese primarily. Think my SS/SV is ALL Japanese writing. Either way what do you think of it? If I can pull the trigger on a JDM XH tonight I will get a spool and eventually knobs...
I just got it on Monday so I havent had the time to fish it yet. Just from playing with it, I really like it. I like the weight of it, its smooth and well built. BTW, the instructions came in both Japanese and English
What rod/line are you planning on using? For what techniques? Not trying to be nosey, just excited...

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:38 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
stingray23 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
stingray23 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

What rod/line are you planning on using? For what techniques? Not trying to be nosey, just excited...
Thats still up to debate. I also just bought a Shimano Bantam MGL HG and a MB Destroyer FMJ. One of those reels is gonna make its way on that rod. I havent decided yet. The bantam feels amazing on it. IF, the steez makes it on that rod, I will use braid and it will become a pitching/t-rig setup. We'll see

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:11 am

Thanks for all the replies, only bad review I found was a guy from BR (not a member there, read it from google) and he said the stabilizing pin just fell off his Steez A. Sold it for a Metanium MGL saying it felt "much smoother on retrieve" which was odd to me. I just have a deep fear of ordering a JDM reel and it falling out on me.

Last question, I saw some mentioning spool compatibility problems between the A and SV TW which didn't make much sense due to the recent SLP order which let's you pick the frame, spool, etc. so they should all be interchangeable. I just wish I could know if the Steez A spool will work in my SS/SV, I think they'd be a great match for medium cranks and just hope the MagZ inductor doesn't cause issues in the SS/SV.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:26 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:Thanks for all the replies, only bad review I found was a guy from BR (not a member there, read it from google) and he said the stabilizing pin just fell off his Steez A. Sold it for a Metanium MGL saying it felt "much smoother on retrieve" which was odd to me. I just have a deep fear of ordering a JDM reel and it falling out on me.

Last question, I saw some mentioning spool compatibility problems between the A and SV TW which didn't make much sense due to the recent SLP order which let's you pick the frame, spool, etc. so they should all be interchangeable. I just wish I could know if the Steez A spool will work in my SS/SV, I think they'd be a great match for medium cranks and just hope the MagZ inductor doesn't cause issues in the SS/SV.
I swapped both spools steez a to sv and steez sv to steez a.I have no noticeable issue. Only difference is I personally really don't like the mag spool in the steez a but in the sv it is very controlled and I have no issue pitching skipping or casting it. I like my steez a with the sv spool much more all around plus 8.1 and longer handle. Dude this is a well built reel ,but you will always find something negative out there. If you want it buy it, and if you don't like it I'm sure it will sell here. I wouldn't worry about defects.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:33 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:Thanks for all the replies, only bad review I found was a guy from BR (not a member there, read it from google) and he said the stabilizing pin just fell off his Steez A. Sold it for a Metanium MGL saying it felt "much smoother on retrieve" which was odd to me. I just have a deep fear of ordering a JDM reel and it falling out on me.

I'd agree that the MGL is smoother. Shimano has long made silky smooth reels, especially in the higher price point. The Steez is still exceptionally smooth, but it has that more connected Daiwa feel.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:59 pm

tywithay wrote:

I'd agree that the MGL is smoother. Shimano has long made silky smooth reels, especially in the higher price point. The Steez is still exceptionally smooth, but it has that more connected Daiwa feel.
Aren't the Met MGLs notorious for being geary? The infamous "Metanium buzz" problem that is fixed with a Curado K gear swap? The connected Daiwa feel is not supposed to be a geary feeling but more of a smooth resistance in the handles rotaion as I understand it. If a Daiwa feels geary then there is something wrong with it.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:21 pm

LowRange wrote:
tywithay wrote:

Aren't the Met MGLs notorious for being geary? The infamous "Metanium buzz" problem that is fixed with a Curado K gear swap? The connected Daiwa feel is not supposed to be a geary feeling but more of a smooth resistance in the handles rotaion as I understand it. If a Daiwa feels geary then there is something wrong with it.
Yeah I am on this side of it. I have handled a few Metanium MGL's, and only cast/used a 13 Met one time. Not a bad reel, but it wasn't silky like the Bantam and to be honest I felt that my Chronarch MGL was more smooth. Both of my Zillion SV TW reels and even my SV105 have a less connected very smooth feel... To me the Shimano has the more connected feel, most of this is all miniscule though, every reel I have is smooth, whether it be my old Tatula Type R to my more expensive $300 range.

My friend made it 9 months with a Metanium then ordered the brass gears. Said it wasn't bad, just thought brass would be better for jigs and what not. The buzz I heard was faint, but from what I have heard the Steez A/SV TW aluminum gears hold up much better than the Micro aluminum Metanium MGL/13 gear. I am getting something new regardless, at first I wanted the Bantam, now I have even more $$$ from selling old stuff and am just taking some time to think it out.
(ex. is it worth a few extra $$ to have a 7 speed and US warranty or get the Steez A cheaper and have an 8 speed?)

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:44 pm

So I finally got brave enough and ordered the Steez A XH. Was going to order the RCS Light knobs (Steez SV TW style) but backed out because I would rather spend $40 closer to a 1012 G1 spool. By the way, I plan on selling the stock Steez A spool pretty quickly, so if anyone wants it PM me.

For now my plan is:
Add Air BFS bearings.
Use a 1016 Zillion SV TW G1 spool, until I get a ZPI shallow or 1012 G1 SV.
Use a 100mm Tatula HD handle because it looks to big on my SV105.
Use the soft coated cork knobs I have extra instead of the Tatula style knobs (add 4 bearings).

I'm not sure on line yet, also wondering if a 100mm is too big because Tackle Trap said that is pushing it, supposedly this reel is tiny. The stock spool bearings are heavily greased supposedly, so the Air BFS should fix that. Anything else that is a good upgrade or should be addressed?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:49 am

DirtyD64 wrote:So I finally got brave enough and ordered the Steez A XH. Was going to order the RCS Light knobs (Steez SV TW style) but backed out because I would rather spend $40 closer to a 1012 G1 spool. By the way, I plan on selling the stock Steez A spool pretty quickly, so if anyone wants it PM me.

For now my plan is:
Add Air BFS bearings.
Use the soft coated cork knobs I have extra instead of the Tatula style knobs (add 4 bearings).

I'm not sure on line yet, also wondering if a 100mm is too big because Tackle Trap said that is pushing it, supposedly this reel is tiny. The stock spool bearings are heavily greased supposedly, so the Air BFS should fix that. Anything else that is a good upgrade or should be addressed?
Are there brass gear sets for these reels in the event the stock aluminum gears become geary?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:48 am

LowRange wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:So I finally got brave enough and ordered the Steez A XH. Was going to order the RCS Light knobs (Steez SV TW style) but backed out because I would rather spend $40 closer to a 1012 G1 spool. By the way, I plan on selling the stock Steez A spool pretty quickly, so if anyone wants it PM me.

For now my plan is:
Add Air BFS bearings.

Are there brass gear sets for these reels in the event the stock aluminum gears become geary?
Negative, not yet at least. I haven't found any reviews where anyone has mentioned this reel feeling geary even after hard use. That being said, hopefully the aluminums will last a while and worst come to worst Daiwa USA said they could get me the 7 speed gears if the 8's are unavailable. The newest Tatula 100 seems to use the same ratio gears, maybe the main by itself will still mesh with this pinion. I know the pinion will be incompatible due to the free floating spool though. I could see Daiwa do a mid model refresh with the Steez SV TW though, and start to include the new micro gears for $500 price point. As I have said before though, fishing 1-2 times a week at BEST, my SS/SV is still smooth and its fought some big fish. I still may honestly even try a Metanium if my first JDM purchase goes well...

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:54 am

I think that was me! ;)

Not sure what happened there when the pin fell out. In the mean time I sold my Met MGL again, since it just started to have a very geary, rough feeling on retrieve (smoothness just held up for like 2 months). I bought another Steez A 6.3 and I have to say that my initial impression of the Steez A completely changed. SUPER smooth that has not disappointed for 6 months. Sold it again, because I needed a higher gear ratio (looking to purchase the 8.1:1 for bottom contact lures).

Between the MGL and Steez A I would def recomment the Steez!

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:29 pm

freelancer27 wrote:

I think that was me! ;)

Not sure what happened there when the pin fell out. In the mean time I sold my Met MGL again, since it just started to have a very geary, rough feeling on retrieve (smoothness just held up for like 2 months). I bought another Steez A 6.3 and I have to say that my initial impression of the Steez A completely changed. SUPER smooth that has not disappointed for 6 months. Sold it again, because I needed a higher gear ratio (looking to purchase the 8.1:1 for bottom contact lures).

Between the MGL and Steez A I would def recomment the Steez!
Yeah I remember reading it. They acted like you didn't know what you were talking about then you proved it with pictures. Reels do weird stuff sometimes. My Tatula R spun backwards on a hookset once if freezing weather, never did it again, even in WAY colder weather. Sucks you had that happen though, maybe the new ones will be better. Will have a review of my 8 speed when it gets here.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:35 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
LowRange wrote:

For now my plan is:
Add Air BFS bearings.

Negative, not yet at least. I haven't found any reviews where anyone has mentioned this reel feeling geary even after hard use. That being said, hopefully the aluminums will last a while and worst come to worst Daiwa USA said they could get me the 7 speed gears if the 8's are unavailable. The newest Tatula 100 seems to use the same ratio gears, maybe the main by itself will still mesh with this pinion. I know the pinion will be incompatible due to the free floating spool though. I could see Daiwa do a mid model refresh with the Steez SV TW though, and start to include the new micro gears for $500 price point. As I have said before though, fishing 1-2 times a week at BEST, my SS/SV is still smooth and its fought some big fish. I still may honestly even try a Metanium if my first JDM purchase goes well...
Someone here mentioned that their Steez A had become geary feeling and orders a new gear set. They didn't notice it until they stopped fishing charter baits and noticed the rough feeling. Not that this should concern you. They've been out long enough to have been put through their paces.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:44 am

I'm not too terribly worried. Would be pissed to have it get geary quick, but geary still works. With 8-10lb fluoro or 20-30 braid fished as little as I get to it should be fine. I almost guarantee a Metanium MGL would have been or WILL BE fine too. If this goes well I might keep the JDM stuff coming...