Bantam MGL reviews?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Bantam MGL reviews?

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:20 pm

Looking for a new salmon/steel head reel and just curious of what the thoughts are on those that have purchased the new Bantam and have put some time on the water?
And how it compares to the Chronarch MGL?
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Post by Kurt L » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:56 pm

I have a Bantam 151XG in the mail right now! and I will be comparing it to my Met. MGL XG and Steez SV XSL. I have caught a lot of Silvers, Chums and Pinks on the Met. MGL and its about as close to perfect as I can imagine with 8-10lb line. I'm hoping the Bantam will be as good or better. Salmon are just starting to hit our rivers this week so it will get a workout really quick hopefully!

Kurt

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:39 pm

i have five of the bantam mgl reels that i have had since the release date. I have used them on almost every outing ive been on in some way or fashion and love them. At first i let the line guide get to me as in it was to close to the spool so the casting was ruined, but honestly i have been able to bomb cast with them. Now that being said this is with a little bit of weight on the casting end if you are wanting to cast 1/8 ish baits the metanium mgl, steez, are going to be better options. for jigs and reaction baits 3/8 oz and up it really shines. The refinement is excellent with the feeling of power in your hand. all mine are still feeling like they came out of the box. In my opinion its one of shimanos best all around reels they have released in a long time. I also have a few daiwa sv 103s and love them as well. Both reels are on the heavier side so if you are the guy that has to have super light weight stuff, or is wanting it for finesse applications i would consider another reel but for all around fishing they are super durable so far. I feel like you could have them forever. the only thing i really dont know aobut are the o rings on the bearings in the future as far as durability.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:57 pm

Kurt L wrote:I have a Bantam 151XG in the mail right now! and I will be comparing it to my Met. MGL XG and Steez SV XSL. I have caught a lot of Silvers, Chums and Pinks on the Met. MGL and its about as close to perfect as I can imagine with 8-10lb line. I'm hoping the Bantam will be as good or better. Salmon are just starting to hit our rivers this week so it will get a workout really quick hopefully!

Kurt
Very interested in your opinion on how the Bantam compares to the Steez SV XSL!

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:00 pm

I have both the Bantam MGL and Chronarch MGL 150XG

I have only played with both in the backyard with 1/4 oz brass bullet weight. The Bantam MGL has 15# Diawa J8 braid, while the Chronarch MGL has 20# Diawa J8 braid. I had these reels on my St. Croix Legend Elite 6' M and 6'8" M and swapped backed and forth.

Out of the box, the Bantam MGL casts with further distance and more ease on the 1/4 weight in comparison to the Chronarch MGL. On average anywhere around 5 yards more distance. All could be just due to the lighter braid line. Sad to see the Chronarch doesn't have the conical line guide, while the Bantam gets it.

I only have two brakes on and dial the brake gauge to zero.

When the bullet weight snags some vegetation I can sort of feel more resistance from the 8.1 gear in comparison to some of the older 7.x gears of other reels. I'm sure on the water, it may be different.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:24 am

The more I use it, the more I like it!! 151HG with 50 lb braid, throwing 10in power worms mostly. Very solid feeling reel, feels good in hand.Casting distance is just fine. Caught some 4-5 lbrs and they were no match, can handle much bigger fish, no problem. Got the 151XG ordered for flipping.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:39 am

Out of all of the low pro shimano reels , on paper , this one should stay the smoothest the longest.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:52 am

I have two and I love mine , casting wise I try not to over fill the spool and that helps it stay tamed. At first it was very fast but now has settled in and casts amazing. For 1/8- 3/8 is so far it has casted very far and effortless, smooth and powerful retrieve .. these reels will not be going anywhere lol

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:27 pm

I really like the reel. It is much smaller in size than I had envisioned, it feels similar in size to a 50 series reel to me. I have the Met and a few Chronarch MGLs and they are all great reels. The Bantam doesn't cast as far as the others for me but the distance is negotiable between them. I think the reel is plenty sturdy for Salmon from the bank but I have been using a Conquest 200HG for those applications and think the extra weight is beneficial to match with the heft of a Salmon rod. YMMV.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:07 pm

I was able to do a head to head test of my new Bantam MGL 151XG Vs Metanium MGL 151XG Vs Steez SV XSL...
all spooled with 8lb P-Line CXX. I was disappointed with the casting of the Bantam it is very picky and the casting distance is behind the other two, I cleaned the brake cone to see if it would help but no change, I spent to much time adjusting the brakes up and down for each lure. It only stayed smooth for about a half hour then the Micro Module buzz started to show up. ](*,)
The Met was excellent you can forget the brake adjustment and bomb it or lob it, it's light fast an fun! and the Steez was more of the same and even smoother than the Met but a spool bearing started to knock after a while. I didn't notice the weight of the Bantam until I switched to the other reels then it was obvious how much more sensitive the rod was with the lighter reels.
So all in all with the reels I have at this price point the best way to describe it is... a Truck in a world of sports cars and I don't need another truck 8-[

Kurt

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:32 pm

Revofisher wrote:i have five of the bantam mgl reels that i have had since the release date. I have used them on almost every outing ive been on in some way or fashion and love them. At first i let the line guide get to me as in it was to close to the spool so the casting was ruined, but honestly i have been able to bomb cast with them. Now that being said this is with a little bit of weight on the casting end if you are wanting to cast 1/8 ish baits the metanium mgl, steez, are going to be better options. for jigs and reaction baits 3/8 oz and up it really shines. The refinement is excellent with the feeling of power in your hand. all mine are still feeling like they came out of the box. In my opinion its one of shimanos best all around reels they have released in a long time. I also have a few daiwa sv 103s and love them as well. Both reels are on the heavier side so if you are the guy that has to have super light weight stuff, or is wanting it for finesse applications i would consider another reel but for all around fishing they are super durable so far. I feel like you could have them forever. the only thing i really dont know aobut are the o rings on the bearings in the future as far as durability.

Great Info and thanks (y)

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:40 pm

slipperybob wrote: I only have two brakes on and dial the brake gauge to zero.
How about no brakes inside and dial to 2 from external???

Any ideas? Will that be better?

Regards,
WW

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:48 am

wirinhar wrote:

Regards,
WW
Haven't the heart to be trying that. I did that once by accident on my CU50E no brakes and thought wow I can cast so far...then on the first wind gust...bird nest...

When I ice fish, it's no brakes...
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:05 am

slipperybob wrote:
wirinhar wrote:

Regards,
WW
Haven't the heart to be trying that. I did that once by accident on my CU50E no brakes and thought wow I can cast so far...then on the first wind gust...bird nest...

When I ice fish, it's no brakes...
thanks for info.

WW

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:07 am

Kurt L wrote:I was able to do a head to head test of my new Bantam MGL 151XG Vs Metanium MGL 151XG Vs Steez SV XSL...
all spooled with 8lb P-Line CXX. I was disappointed with the casting of the Bantam it is very picky and the casting distance is behind the other two, I cleaned the brake cone to see if it would help but no change, I spent to much time adjusting the brakes up and down for each lure. It only stayed smooth for about a half hour then the Micro Module buzz started to show up. ](*,)
The Met was excellent you can forget the brake adjustment and bomb it or lob it, it's light fast an fun! and the Steez was more of the same and even smoother than the Met but a spool bearing started to knock after a while. I didn't notice the weight of the Bantam until I switched to the other reels then it was obvious how much more sensitive the rod was with the lighter reels.
So all in all with the reels I have at this price point the best way to describe it is... a Truck in a world of sports cars and I don't need another truck 8-[

Kurt
Great Info!!! =D> =D> =D>