Do I need to change reels or line?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Do I need to change reels or line?

Post by LowRange » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:03 pm

To solve this problem.

The Tatula SV will dump it's spool of line with a Terminator 11/16 oz frog. The line is #50 Trilene braid and filled to the bevel of the spool no gap. It is a nice problem to have because I do most of my frogging from the bank but I also want to use the reel for 1 to 2.5 oz swimbaits.

Do the heavier but larger profile swimbaits cast further than a small aerodynamic 11/16 oz frogs or is it about the same?

Should I switch to a smaller diameter braid like Samurai Braid to allow me to increase line capacity while still having a #50 or #65 rating or do I have to switch reels to something with a higher line capacity?

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Do I need to change reels or line?

Post by slipperybob » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:20 pm

Me, I go with a reel with more line capacity if say keeping that 50# like diameter. If you're partial to that reel, then drop line diameter.

The fish I catch aren't huge, so 20# braid is more than enough for me.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:22 pm

Have a look at a Zillion HD or a Coastal TWS (you can get them relatively cheap on ebay right now). I can recommend both reels for frogging!

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:37 pm

Your happy with the reel & obviously it casts well. Change the line to the same braid in 40lb. That should give you enough line capacity without changing reels.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:59 pm

You only need a few wraps of mono as backing to keep braid from slipping, assuming you cinch down the mono knot really tight on the spool. I say remove all but about 3 ft of the backing and re-spool with more 50# braid. You should fit about 80 yds. That should solve your problem. I toss frogs with 40# Gliss on a Tat SV and have been VERY pleased with the casting distance. It sails extremely quietly thru the guides and casts further than any braid I have used. I have a full 125 yd spool of it on my reel, plus a good amount of backing and never get anywhere near the backing knot. I actually had to strip it off and add more backing, because the spool was only half full when I finished! :lol: It has given me zero trouble and is strong like braid, but even thinner in diameter. The 40# is about the size of 6# mono. Seriously, it's about like 20# PP SS8, only smoother.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:07 pm

You should try the J Braid instead of the Samurai. Its thin and slick, just like SB, but really cheap.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:21 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:You only need a few wraps of mono as backing to keep braid from slipping, assuming you cinch down the mono knot really tight on the spool. I say remove all but about 3 ft of the backing and re-spool with more 50# braid. You should fit about 80 yds. That should solve your problem. I toss frogs with 40# Gliss on a Tat SV and have been VERY pleased with the casting distance. It sails extremely quietly thru the guides and casts further than any braid I have used. I have a full 125 yd spool of it on my reel, plus a good amount of backing and never get anywhere near the backing knot. It has given me zero trouble and is strong like braid, but even thinner in diameter. The 40# is about the size of 6# mono. Seriously, it's about like 20# PP SS8, only smoother.

I don't have any backing. The braid is duck taped to the spool and it is casting down to the tape with a 11/16 oz frog. I think I'll have to turn the brakes up with heaver baits to keep from spooling the reel unless I switch to a smaller diameter line. The tat SV probably isn't the right reel for the job but I'll try some of the smaller diameter braid s to get a little more line on the reel for small swimbait use.

Fishingelbow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishingelbow » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:51 pm

You should be getting substantially more distance with the weight range of swimbaits you're describing (providing you have the rod to handle them). Of course, if they're multi-jointed, "helicoptering" would enter into the equation and then the distances may vary a lot.
Overall, any option where you play with the line diameter wouldn't make that much difference and you'd still be in a tight spot often. Since you can never have too many reels :twisted:, why not add a Tatula 150 to your arsenal and be done with it? :lol:
Never moon a werewolf!

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:04 pm

slipperybob wrote:Me, I go with a reel with more line capacity if say keeping that 50# like diameter. If you're partial to that reel, then drop line diameter.

The fish I catch aren't huge, so 20# braid is more than enough for me.
Dittos X2!
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:05 pm

Fishingelbow wrote:You should be getting substantially more distance with the weight range of swimbaits you're describing (providing you have the rod to handle them). Of course, if they're multi-jointed, "helicoptering" would enter into the equation and then the distances may vary a lot.
Overall, any option where you play with the line diameter wouldn't make that much difference and you'd still be in a tight spot often. Since you can never have too many reels :twisted:, why not add a Tatula 150 to your arsenal and be done with it? :lol:
The Hyuga deserves better than that. I almost felt bad putting the tat SV on it. I'm thinking 2018 Ryoga.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:24 am

Man, I am either just a bad caster or run my brakes way way too conservatively. I have a sv103 on my Hyuga and with the same capacity spool and using 55lb braid or 25 lb Defier Armilo, I never come close to spooling my reel, hell, I run both spools with like 40-45% backing and never even hit the tape. This is with casting both ~1/2oz frogs and ~2.5oz big baits.

Fishingelbow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishingelbow » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:49 am

LowRange wrote:
Fishingelbow wrote:You should be getting substantially more distance with the weight range of swimbaits you're describing (providing you have the rod to handle them). Of course, if they're multi-jointed, "helicoptering" would enter into the equation and then the distances may vary a lot.
The Hyuga deserves better than that. I almost felt bad putting the tat SV on it. I'm thinking 2018 Ryoga.
Admit it, Lowrange, you're just looking for an excuse to get that Ryoga! Listen to the monkey and go for it! :mrgreen:
Never moon a werewolf!

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:04 am

imo samurai is better for finesse situations. i had problems with it power fishing (break offs) flippin and punching.
try 40 lb sufix 832. reel it on tighter than dicks hatband.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:49 am

Houndfish wrote:Man, I am either just a bad caster or run my brakes way way too conservatively. I have a sv103 on my Hyuga and with the same capacity spool and using 55lb braid or 25 lb Defier Armilo, I never come close to spooling my reel, hell, I run both spools with like 40-45% backing and never even hit the tape. This is with casting both ~1/2oz frogs and ~2.5oz big baits.
It's nothing I'm doing. That rod will launch a bait out there. I do have to try and cast far. If I just place the rod over by shoulder and cast it out there lazily like I do from a kayak it won't go as far and it won't load the rod well with a frog. I do a slight circle behind my back and pull back on the rear grip on the cast. That casting motion helps to load the rod with a frog and gains a lot of distance but I can only do it standing. Now that I think about it will do most of my bigger treble hook baits from the kayak taegeting ponds where I will cast lazily in a seated position. If I throw any swimbaits from the bass boat deck I'll just pull the LIN Black Jungle off the X4 711 and use it.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:51 am

johnD wrote:imo samurai is better for finesse situations. i had problems with it power fishing (break offs) flippin and punching.
try 40 lb sufix 832. reel it on tighter than dicks hatband.
Thanks. I had concerns about the line's small diameter causing problems