Power finesse rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Power finesse rod

Post by Craiger12 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:52 pm

Looking for suggestions for a rod for what I suppose most people would consider power finesse techniques. I'm a Dobyns fan and strongly considering the HP 742C, but figured I would look outside the box, also I'm not a fan of split grips. So basically I'm looking for a 7'3"-7'6" rod that will mostly be used for 1/8-3/8oz presentations including weightless senkos, 1/4oz jigs, shakey heads, and larger Ned rigs. Rod will be paired with an Alphas SV 105 and likely 20# braid. Looking to stay under $400 and would prefer to be closer to $300. Thoughts?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Power finesse rod

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:17 pm

Medium power 18 Poison Adrena. Great power finesse stick imo. New handle design is much better and good for those who prefer full grips. The way the blank transmits into the handle is like lightning bolts.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:18 pm

Craiger12 wrote:Looking for suggestions for a rod for what I suppose most people would consider power finesse techniques. I'm a Dobyns fan and strongly considering the HP 742C, but figured I would look outside the box, also I'm not a fan of split grips. So basically I'm looking for a 7'3"-7'6" rod that will mostly be used for 1/8-3/8oz presentations including weightless senkos, 1/4oz jigs, shakey heads, and larger Ned rigs. Rod will be paired with an Alphas SV 105 and likely 20# braid. Looking to stay under $400 and would prefer to be closer to $300. Thoughts?
I will be searching for this same rod one day. Currently I use a TFO Dropshot rod, 6'9"ML rated 1/8 to 1/2 but it is a bit soft and short. I think the 742C would fit mine and your bill perfect. Dobyn's MH feels more like the Mediums I am used to. Phenix makes some finesse casting rods, but they are a bit cheaper and not quite the right action either.
Pretty hard rod to find, maybe the Dobyns Champion Extreme 743C would still throw most of those lures being a lighter MH and fit the full cork handle need. I used my SV105 on a STOUT Medium for a bit with 8lb fluoro and I threw most of the lures you mentioned...

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:51 am

It may be a little short at 7'1" but I think it fits your needs. G.Loomis IMX Pro 852C JWR, it is an extra fast action and works great for shaky heads and smaller finesse jigs and Neko rigs, it might be worth your time to check one out.
Barlow's Tackle

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:00 am

smalljaw wrote:It may be a little short at 7'1" but I think it fits your needs. G.Loomis IMX Pro 852C JWR, it is an extra fast action and works great for shaky heads and smaller finesse jigs and Neko rigs, it might be worth your time to check one out.
I was actually looking at the IMX Pro 892C JWR. It seems to fit all my criteria perfectly, but I couldn't really find any reviews or thoughts on the new IMX Pro series at all when I looked. I don't want a downgrade in sensitivity from the Dobyns HP series that I'm used to fishing.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:04 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I will be searching for this same rod one day. Currently I use a TFO Dropshot rod, 6'9"ML rated 1/8 to 1/2 but it is a bit soft and short. I think the 742C would fit mine and your bill perfect. Dobyn's MH feels more like the Mediums I am used to. Phenix makes some finesse casting rods, but they are a bit cheaper and not quite the right action either.
Pretty hard rod to find, maybe the Dobyns Champion Extreme 743C would still throw most of those lures being a lighter MH and fit the full cork handle need. I used my SV105 on a STOUT Medium for a bit with 8lb fluoro and I threw most of the lures you mentioned...
I have owned the older DX 743C and it is stouter than I would like. I'm looking for something a bit softer for these techniques. The HP 742C is likely exactly what I want and I will most likely end up going this route despite the split grip.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:56 am

A 1/8th total weight rig and full grip is a gap against your needs but I use the NRX 893. 30# braid and a 1/4oz shaky head is my normal rig on the 893

892 Glx reviews I've seen suggest it too soft for me

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:54 am

Craiger12 wrote:
smalljaw wrote:It may be a little short at 7'1" but I think it fits your needs. G.Loomis IMX Pro 852C JWR, it is an extra fast action and works great for shaky heads and smaller finesse jigs and Neko rigs, it might be worth your time to check one out.
I was actually looking at the IMX Pro 892C JWR. It seems to fit all my criteria perfectly, but I couldn't really find any reviews or thoughts on the new IMX Pro series at all when I looked. I don't want a downgrade in sensitivity from the Dobyns HP series that I'm used to fishing.
That won't be hard to accomplish :lol:

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:06 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Craiger12 wrote:
That won't be hard to accomplish :lol:
Are you implying they are one of the more sensitive rods you have fished?

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:19 pm

Craiger12 wrote:
I can't compare the IMX Pro to the Dobyns HP but I can compare it to the old Extreme. When you look at sensitivity the IMX Pro is head and shoulders better than the old Champion Extreme, it isn't close. Now I'm not sure how the new Dobyns HP series perform in terms of sensitivity but I'd be willing to bet that you wouldn't be disappointed in the IMX Pro especially if you go with the 20# braid but it has great sensitivity with fluorocarbon and mono.
Barlow's Tackle

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:31 pm

smalljaw wrote:
I can't compare the IMX Pro to the Dobyns HP but I can compare it to the old Extreme. When you look at sensitivity the IMX Pro is head and shoulders better than the old Champion Extreme, it isn't close. Now I'm not sure how the new Dobyns HP series perform in terms of sensitivity but I'd be willing to bet that you wouldn't be disappointed in the IMX Pro especially if you go with the 20# braid but it has great sensitivity with fluorocarbon and mono.
That's encouraging. I find to new HP series to be slightly more sensitive than the old Extreme so it sounds like the new IMX Pro will at least be right there. What models have you fished?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:48 pm

Is 1/8 oz the total weight or just the weight of the jig head?

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:32 pm

LowRange wrote:Is 1/8 oz the total weight or just the weight of the jig head?
Usually the weight of the jig head. I might go slightly lower than that, but realistically the total weight of the presentation will be over 1/8oz.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:28 am

This makes me think 2 things. I need to be using braid, and need to spend more on rods, not reels. I am catching fish fine with 12lb fluoro and $150 rods. Wonder how much more I could feel with a +$300 rod and braid???

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:45 am

An 852 BCR GLX may fit the bill.