NRX casting rods for inshore?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
esvangler
Angler
Angler

NRX casting rods for inshore?

Post by esvangler » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:36 pm

whats up guys,

curious to know if anyone has fished any of the NRX rods in the salt? fishing soft plastics and mirrolures is my go to and i want to know if anyone has experience doing this.

Thanks!

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: NRX casting rods for inshore?

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:03 am

Been using NRX 842c and 843c in the salt for several years. Posted lots of info and pics on this forum of fish caught on these setups. 842 basically handles all lures 3/8oz and below, and 843 for 3/8-1oz. Topwater, jerkbaits, twitchbaits, jigs, flukes, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, swimbaits, frogs; everything fishes great with these rods. Haven't had a single issue landing Redfish, jacks and tarpon to 30lbs, and love my 842 for big trout.

esvangler
Angler
Angler

Post by esvangler » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:55 am

right on man! I haven't bought anything that relates to the NRX in quality before, so i wanted to see what rod powers suited specks and reds the best before i made the wrong choice. I appreciate the info, buddy!

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:17 pm

esvangler wrote:right on man! I haven't bought anything that relates to the NRX in quality before, so i wanted to see what rod powers suited specks and reds the best before i made the wrong choice. I appreciate the info, buddy!
No problem at all. Really depends on where you are fishing as far as what power to get. Further south where big Snook and Tarpon show up on the flats, a MH or H power would be much better. Up here in NW FL we mainly chase fish up to around 30lbs inshore, so M and MH get used more often. Much prefer a fast over Xfast action, since I use braid and that extra bend helps a lot.

nolegsinmiami
Angler
Angler

Post by nolegsinmiami » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:38 pm

I have used them for inshore and I generally like them. The one challenge for me is the guides are very small. Here in Miami I typically use #50 leader for snook fishing and it does work well with the guides at all. I dislike the REC guides as well - I have had three NRX's that have had those guides break and even on the NRX inshore spinning model. I had a local rod builder replace them with Fuji K guides with either a 8 or 10 ring gauge depending on the rod.

The NRX Umbrella rod is a great tarpon rod paired with a tranX300....its at the shop now getting the broken REC guides replaced as well.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:14 pm

Not sure why a guide that was marketed as a "tough" guide you can bend and not break, break! That's the only issue I've had with my NRX rods, but only a couple so figure bad batch of guides. I can see the leader thing being an issue for sure.
Last edited by Jeffbro999 on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:16 pm

Double post

esvangler
Angler
Angler

Post by esvangler » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:27 pm

nolegsinmiami wrote:I have used them for inshore and I generally like them. The one challenge for me is the guides are very small. Here in Miami I typically use #50 leader for snook fishing and it does work well with the guides at all. I dislike the REC guides as well - I have had three NRX's that have had those guides break and even on the NRX inshore spinning model. I had a local rod builder replace them with Fuji K guides with either a 8 or 10 ring gauge depending on the rod.

The NRX Umbrella rod is a great tarpon rod paired with a tranX300....its at the shop now getting the broken REC guides replaced as well.
So it seems like these recoils guides are a problem.. if you would have known that before, would you have bought the rods? it seems like these things should be fined tuned, and to have the guides be faulty seems a little weird to me.

esvangler
Angler
Angler

Post by esvangler » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:34 pm

nolegsinmiami wrote:I have used them for inshore and I generally like them. The one challenge for me is the guides are very small. Here in Miami I typically use #50 leader for snook fishing and it does work well with the guides at all. I dislike the REC guides as well - I have had three NRX's that have had those guides break and even on the NRX inshore spinning model. I had a local rod builder replace them with Fuji K guides with either a 8 or 10 ring gauge depending on the rod.

We scarcely have tarpon up in Virginia. They are here, though! I'm fishing the Chesapeake Bay. So most of our big bull reds and big stripers are caught surf fishing. Ive got the surf down pat, just curious about the inshore. Ive been on the fence about stepping up to the NRX's and possibly a few GLX's

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:28 pm

This Thread is relevant to my interests :big grin: one of these days I'll get on board the nrx train definitely would like to see how they perform in the cell I do a lot of Bay fishing myself and fishing from the shore in the San Diego area when I'm in town

esvangler
Angler
Angler

Post by esvangler » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:05 pm

well I know they make a Inshore NRX but I'm more interested in the casting rods. I feel like the actions would be a little better than the typical 7'6 MH mod action and 7' M mod action from most saltwater rods.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:18 pm

I fish the marshes & bayous from Lake Ponchartrain to Venice, I have owned all the NRX rods, still own a few but the NRX action and taper are very technique specific, something that I have learned over time. I really like the new conquest rods and a relatively unknown Megabass rod called the 2015 Shoreluck Limited /Salt water rod, one of the finest rods I own and it's relatively cheap compared to NRX or Conquest. :-$
Rods & Reels Excite me!

esvangler
Angler
Angler

Post by esvangler » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:20 pm

I'm looking at 3 models of the NRX and 1 GLX, so far. Maybe it will change one I get the first few :-k

esvangler
Angler
Angler

Post by esvangler » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:23 pm

lpquick wrote:I fish the marshes & bayous from Lake Ponchartrain to Venice, I have owned all the NRX rods, still own a few but the NRX action and taper are very technique specific, something that I have learned over time. I really like the new conquest rods and a relatively unknown Megabass rod called the 2015 Shoreluck Limited /Salt water rod, one of the finest rods I own and it's relatively cheap compared to NRX or Conquest. :-$

Dude.. if I'm looking at the same model of MB you have, that's one of the prettiest rods ive ever seen :shock:

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:25 am

For plastics, I'd stick with NRX, specifically 852c or 893c. I keep forgetting they discontinued MBR series in NRX, so would move to Conquest or GLX for my treble baits and get either 842c, 843c or 892c(fast actions) depending on length. 842 Conquest is one of my favorites, and those MBR tapers can fish a lot of techniques well.