2019 kistler z bones in stock

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 2019 kistler z bones in stock

Post by Obz » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:41 pm

Revofisher wrote:so i got a few hours in with the z bone 7'3" 5 power hvy moderate action today tossing around some baits on the bank to see what it was all about even caught two fish on the test run. So as i first held the rod it felt just a tad tip hvy but as soon as i mounted a reel on the rod it was great. I do not have scales so i cant get the weight, but the rod is pretty light for a 5 power. The action of the rod kind of reminds me of the megabass fmj 6 power just a little bit more moderate bend throughout the blank when loaded up. i threw a 5/8 oz swim jig, 3/8 oz football jig, and a 1oz tungsten weight with a missle d bomb for the bait. it handled all the baits really well that i threw. 3/8 is probably the lowest i would go with this model however. I put a daiwa sv 103xs with 55lb sunline flipping frogging braid on the rod. tomorrow im going to put a lighter reel on it with fluro to see what it looks like. The rod has great power and the mod action model is awesome with braid no doubt. Im curious about the sensitivity with flurocarbon because it was super sensitive with braid one of the most sensitive rods ive used. I still cant define is it trumps nrx sensitivity will need a lot more time on that matter. Over its a great rod thats pretty versatile and the sensitivity is there for sure.
Do you think it is more sensitive than FMJ?

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:12 am

I cant really say it is 100% more sensative than the fmj. I do have tuesday and weds off work so ill put the same reel on both rods and line and go cast some baits in the same range. ill do a 1/4 oz t rig 1/2 oz jig and 3/4 oz jig or t rig to see the comparison. I have braid on the kistler right now using creature baits and frogs. I hate how that works out i bought it for the sensitivity but im throwing frogs on it :lol: It will be close because the z bone is really sensitive as well is the fmj im going to say a little nod to the z bone . I can say though the fmj does balance better for sure. The Z bone 7'3" 5 power moderate is just a tad tip heavy and i dont get that with the fmj which floats in my hand. In terms of power knowing the fmj is a 6 power in megabass terms I would put the kistler as a 7 power in relation to megabass's scale so slightly more powerful. Ill get back about the comparison. The spinning rod i ordered should be here tuesday i want to compare it to the nrx 852s in sensivity.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:27 pm

Revofisher wrote:I cant really say it is 100% more sensative than the fmj. I do have tuesday and weds off work so ill put the same reel on both rods and line and go cast some baits in the same range. ill do a 1/4 oz t rig 1/2 oz jig and 3/4 oz jig or t rig to see the comparison. I have braid on the kistler right now using creature baits and frogs. I hate how that works out i bought it for the sensitivity but im throwing frogs on it :lol: It will be close because the z bone is really sensitive as well is the fmj im going to say a little nod to the z bone . I can say though the fmj does balance better for sure. The Z bone 7'3" 5 power moderate is just a tad tip heavy and i dont get that with the fmj which floats in my hand. In terms of power knowing the fmj is a 6 power in megabass terms I would put the kistler as a 7 power in relation to megabass's scale so slightly more powerful. Ill get back about the comparison. The spinning rod i ordered should be here tuesday i want to compare it to the nrx 852s in sensivity.
Excellent comparison man! I have an FMJ, Love the rod. I run 16# shooter, with a bulky creature like a Cowboy i'm missing a little something in bite detection. It's a hard to explain. I've caught 3 big bass on the rod and I knew each fish was there but didnt get that tell tale 'tick'. I'm going to try running braid on it. Its great with smaller stuff like rage bugs or paca Craws.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:57 am

After playing with both rods for almost the whole day except for trying out the z bone spinning rod. In my hands the kistler is more sensitive all around than the fmj. This being said though the fmjs balance point is better than the kistler 7'3 hvy I will keep the fmj for the fact of its pitching abilities one of the best pitching rods around right now in my opinion. The spinning rod is def light and very sensitive its definitely on par with nrx in terms of being sensitive. the blank feels hollow almost but the rod is really strong as of now im digging them a lot the only thing i really do not like the feel of is the eva fore grip. If it was cork it would be awesome. The spinning rod also does not have micros they are the macro guides like the orochii xx spinning rod guides similar in size.

on a side note the fmj definitely becomes more sensitive the more weight you add to it compared to the test with 1/4 oz weights the z bone was the winner in my hands.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:58 pm

Revofisher wrote:After playing with both rods for almost the whole day except for trying out the z bone spinning rod. In my hands the kistler is more sensitive all around than the fmj. This being said though the fmjs balance point is better than the kistler 7'3 hvy I will keep the fmj for the fact of its pitching abilities one of the best pitching rods around right now in my opinion. The spinning rod is def light and very sensitive its definitely on par with nrx in terms of being sensitive. the blank feels hollow almost but the rod is really strong as of now im digging them a lot the only thing i really do not like the feel of is the eva fore grip. If it was cork it would be awesome. The spinning rod also does not have micros they are the macro guides like the orochii xx spinning rod guides similar in size.

on a side note the fmj definitely becomes more sensitive the more weight you add to it compared to the test with 1/4 oz weights the z bone was the winner in my hands.

How does the weight compare of the FMJ to the ZBONE? I just ordered the 7'3'' and it is nowhere near the 3.7oz as advertised on the website (mine shows 4.4oz).
Cheers.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:57 pm

Yeah same I didn’t weigh the rod but I could tell it was more heavy I feel like the Fmj is lighter def more balanced I feel. The spinning rod is super light though

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:21 pm

Revofisher wrote:Yeah same I didn’t weigh the rod but I could tell it was more heavy I feel like the Fmj is lighter def more balanced I feel. The spinning rod is super light though
Thanks for the reply.

I am a bit hesitant. I love the Power 4 7'6 ZBONE (super light and sensitive) but I am a bit disappointed in the weight of the power 5 7'3''. I am really considering sending the rod back and getting the Megabass instead (which is also cheaper).

What would you do if you only could have one for throwing 3/4 - 1oz jigs and paddle tail swimbaits?

I am pairing the rod with the 2018 Shimano Antares DC MD.

Thanks again!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:20 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Revofisher wrote:Yeah same I didn’t weigh the rod but I could tell it was more heavy I feel like the Fmj is lighter def more balanced I feel. The spinning rod is super light though
Thanks for the reply.

I am a bit hesitant. I love the Power 4 7'6 ZBONE (super light and sensitive) but I am a bit disappointed in the weight of the power 5 7'3''. I am really considering sending the rod back and getting the Megabass instead (which is also cheaper).

What would you do if you only could have one for throwing 3/4 - 1oz jigs and paddle tail swimbaits?

Thanks again!
Custom :big grin:

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:42 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

Thanks again!
Not ready to go custom yet ;)

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:57 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

Thanks again!
Well, get ready, already! :lol: Seriously, though, a custom can be EXACTLY what you want, no compromises on balance point, sensitivity, rear grip length/composition, guide size, guide ring/frame composition- every detail can match your exact needs perfectly. It can be as simple or as elegant and ornate as you decide it to be. That's why about half of the sticks in my current rotation are customs. There are certain techniques that I feel an OTC stick will suffice, like shallow cranks and spinnerbaits. But bottom-contact stuff demands high sensitivity. My Lamiglas Infinity customs fit the bill nicely and I have $75-$100 less in each of them than the cheapest Z-Bone model. Customs don't have to be cost-prohibitive, but can be if you dont know what works for you. On the flip-side of that, there is a learning curve regarding components that was basically trial-and-error. I have had at least 50 customs built in the last 12 yrs, and I only own 7 of those currently.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:06 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

Thanks again!
Well, get ready, already! :lol: Seriously, though, a custom can be EXACTLY what you want, no compromises on balance point, sensitivity, rear grip length/composition, guide size, guide ring/frame composition- every detail can match your exact needs perfectly. It can be as simple or as elegant and ornate as you decide it to be. That's why about half of the sticks in my current rotation are customs. There are certain techniques that I feel an OTC stick will suffice, like shallow cranks and spinnerbaits. But bottom-contact stuff demands high sensitivity. My Lamiglas Infinity customs fit the bill nicely and I have $75-$100 less in each of them than the cheapest Z-Bone model. Customs don't have to be cost-prohibitive, but can be if you dont know what works for you. On the flip-side of that, there is a learning curve regarding components that was basically trial-and-error. I have had at least 50 customs built in the last 12 yrs, and I only own 7 of those currently.
Your last two sentences describe why I will not go custom any time soon ;)

Anyways ZBONE 7'3'' Power 5 or FMJ?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:56 pm

Z-Bone all day. Gary Loomis has forgotten more about graphite than most people will ever know. I would say a majority of the modern knowledge about graphite blank technology was either originated or perfected by that man. There is no amount of cross-weaving or any other gimmicks that can take the place of that much hands-on knowledge.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:40 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:Z-Bone all day. Gary Loomis has forgotten more about graphite than most people will ever know. I would say a majority of the modern knowledge about graphite blank technology was either originated or perfected by that man. There is no amount of cross-weaving or any other gimmicks that can take the place of that much hands-on knowledge.
We'll see! NFC MB 736-1 HM coming tomorrow! 8-) I'm quite excited.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:42 am

I love the Fmj for pitching to docks and wood with jigs and creature baits in that 1/2 oz range . The rod is capable of fishing heavier weights no doubt but I feel from what you listed the z bone will be better suited I like throwing skinny dippers and rhythm waves on the z bone moderate taper.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:14 am

Ok,

Decided to keep the ZBone.

1st. It seems to be slightly more sensitive (due to better guides)
2nd it is lighter than the fmj
3rd balance with my Antares is good enough

Will give a report after the weekend on how it fished.
.cheers.