How fast is too fast?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: How fast is too fast?

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:48 pm

toporanger wrote:I was using my zillion sv tws 9.1 last week to flip jigs for largemouths on leech lake. I ended up hooking several eater pike in the 26-30 inch class daily and never felt like i was having a torque issue, this was also fighting the fish in reeds and millfoil.
You're a better man than I, Charlie Brown. :lol:

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:55 pm

mark poulson wrote:
toporanger wrote:I was using my zillion sv tws 9.1 last week to flip jigs for largemouths on leech lake. I ended up hooking several eater pike in the 26-30 inch class daily and never felt like i was having a torque issue, this was also fighting the fish in reeds and millfoil.
I've never felt bogged down either. I do have a 100mm handle though. The original Rocket I felt bogged down with.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:24 pm

ccass wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
I've never felt bogged down either. I do have a 100mm handle though. The original Rocket I felt bogged down with.
I primarily fish the OG Zillion platform. I've caught many 8-10 lb. bass with braid on the end of a long cast in heavy cover. I've also caught many catfish and carp up to an estimated 30 lbs (huge carp and catfish love the bladed jig and big worms at night :D ) with fluoro on the 7.3 and 7.9 reels. The 7.9 SV103 gears don't have much less IPT than the 10.1 Rocket. I use 90 mm handles exclusively. There are no torque issues with the OG Zillion platform that I am aware of. I often have the same bait rigged up on multiple Zillions with multiple ratios. I can't tell a difference in torque, only a difference in the speed that you can take up line. You can feel the difference in torque between ratios when fishing heavy resistance baits all day like the DD cranks or big swimbaits, but I don't seem to feel it when I am in the process of reeling in a fish. I can't speak to the other manufacturers.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:35 pm

I recently I went to a 6.4/1 Revo Winch for a chatterbait, and I didn't like it. [/quote]

I'm guessing you meant to type 5.4 :1...

oe

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:14 am

mark poulson wrote:

After throwing bucktails and big rattlebaits, reeling them as fast as you are able to on 9-10 foot rods. Switching to my perfect pitch rod and zillion reel felt like I was throwing a pixy stick lol. MAYBE my basis of comparing "torque" is a bit off compared to most. But I will be throwing the same rod tomorrow in souther IL pitching trigs and jigs around the slop and I have never felt undergunned with a fast reel. Is it noticieably different? yeah! but does it feel like a detriment when fishing for bass? heck no.

I thought about using that same reel to burn 1 oz traps up north but I was unsure if it was worth it, my toro 60HS was doing just fine. You could not reel fast enough for a few days, started to suck fast. When the burn bite turned off the super hard rip bait bite picked up, z2020 for that bite but it will wear you out.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:51 am

I want a 50:1 ratio 100 yards per turn of the handle :big grin:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:13 am

mark poulson wrote:
The SV TW Zillions have slightly less inches per turn because of spool size. I think they are closer to 37 inches. That isn't much of a difference, but probably helps some. Also I never meant that I couldn't get the bait in, was just being picky and over analyzing the retrieve. 8 speed or about 35-36 IPT is about maximum for me for any technique.

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:45 pm

My son has been wearing my tail out with the tat 9.1:1, Grass is spotty and I'm spending more time crankin it in between casts. There are times when speed does matter......... Yeah, We'll both get a rocket!!
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:29 pm

I like the 1516 9.1 RR reel.
I was doing my own comparisons between the 1516 and the 1016 and didn't find much torque loss. My chosen quarry were largemouth BUT there were a few small channel cats that were eager to hit a topwater. The cats, in my opinion, gave a better workout on the drag than the largemouth. The were digging toward the bottom, while the largemouth were doing acrobatics and fast, long runs.
Regarding the torque loss with higher retrieve ratio, yes, there is some torque lost as you go higher in retrieve ratio BUT the biggest differences will be between the something like a 5.4:1 or 6.3:1 than a 7,8 or 9:1.
The first major application with 1516 9.1:1=40.1" is topwater baits. Not to work the baits faster, although sometimes it works out, but because of water clarity and distance between targets and boat. Can leave a lot of dead water. I can imagine the same would apply for pitchin'.
Second application is drop shotting and similar techniques. Some depths are to 40'. Bringing the bait up with no bite, the time adds up.
It's like water finding it's own level. If the equipment becomes available, a void will be filled.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:31 pm

I will say, I was only being picky when I changed my 9.1 gears to 7.3. The reel functioned fine. I mentioned before a friend who's Rocket felt awful, like seriously wrong bad... I fear these super high ratios gears' will not survive as well without dual pinion and dual mainshaft support. I mentioned not long ago that I fin ally felt the "buzz" from an XG Metanium with aluminum gears but I guarantee it should still hold up because of solid gear train support.

I'm not trying to hate, Daiwa and Shimano both have plenty of reels lacking dual-dual support but it would be nice to have for faster reels. If the new Rocket had the aluminum sideplate that might be even better for the main gear and anti reverse clutch than an extra bearing would be...

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:55 pm

Abu Garcia had this reel entered in the New Product Showcase at ICAST so I finally got to check it out just a few hours ago. Braking system is their Inifni Brake System which means it has both centrifugal and magnetic brakes... I'm a little less enthused about this reel than I was upon first hearing about it. On the plus side, the new finish is a sort of matte red that's really slick and looks better than the gen 3. Big carbon handle with EVA knobs....

gearbox is still HUGE

Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:23 pm

Sweet looking reel!!

2 please.. :D

Moosehead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Moosehead » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:55 pm

I think I can make do with what I have. That being said, I will buy it...

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:14 am

Cal wrote: Braking system is their Inifni Brake System which means it has both centrifugal and magnetic brakes..
Doesn't take much to convert to IVCB braking. :big grin:

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:21 am

jjbassnforfun wrote:
Cal wrote: Braking system is their Inifni Brake System which means it has both centrifugal and magnetic brakes..
Doesn't take much to convert to IVCB braking. :big grin:
Well apparently, I don't even know how to take a reel apart, so how can I be trusted to put one together? :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"