18 Poison Adrena jdm worth it?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 18 Poison Adrena jdm worth it?

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:20 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
SSS wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
SSS wrote:have the gen 1 2pc medium in 6.10. Its great and sensitive, but feels more like a medium heavy than a medium. A bit too stiff for my taste.
I think it's pretty spot on power wise, in contrast to most JDM rods. If I had to guess, I'd say it's somewhere between 375 and 400 grams of power.
Its spot on when compared to shimano rods, but i wouldn't say that megabass rods of the same power are as stiff, at least not the ones i've used or currently own.
I don't find the Adrena stiff at all. It's very reminiscent of Point Blank
X2 Heavy power is all have experience with in the adrena line. But like a noodle in my hands compared to similarly rated megabass. Thinking back the g-ax may have been one kind of comparable, but stiffer nonetheless. Always find it interesting that we can feel rods differently. That's why you have to try em yourself I suppose :D
Not counting Evoluzions, forgot to mention

kunia13
Angler
Angler

Post by kunia13 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:53 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Polkfish1 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
SSS wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote: I think it's pretty spot on power wise, in contrast to most JDM rods. If I had to guess, I'd say it's somewhere between 375 and 400 grams of power.
Its spot on when compared to shimano rods, but i wouldn't say that megabass rods of the same power are as stiff, at least not the ones i've used or currently own.
X2 Heavy power is all have experience with in the adrena line. But like a noodle in my hands compared to similarly rated megabass. Thinking back the g-ax may have been one kind of comparable, but stiffer nonetheless. Always find it interesting that we can feel rods differently. That's why you have to try em yourself I suppose :D
Sadly I can't try them...I'm debating if I want a medium light or medium power adrena.
I'm leaning towards the medium as long as it can throw weightless plastics comfortably.
As to the reel i'm tossed between Aldebaran 30mgl or steez sv.

kunia13
Angler
Angler

Post by kunia13 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:08 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Strange timing. I literally just recieved mine in the mail today from JPangler. I got the 2 piece 6'10 medium. Worthy upgrade from the Zodias - every day of the week. I also have / had 1st gens. I like this one better and I haven't even fished it yet. It's lighter and I feel confident saying it will be more sensitive throughout. The new grip feels more like a full grip, which is a big plus in my book, because I'm not a fan of split grips. I don't think the blank has changed any, and I'm perfectly fine with that. The difference in the blank design and material alone make it an upgrade from the Zodias. I find them much more versatile and lively - better materials, and the handle on the 18 series really sets these rods apart.
Let us know how it throws lighter stuff, weightless senkos, flukes, etc.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:32 pm

kunia13 wrote:
Polkfish1 wrote:
Polkfish1 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
SSS wrote:Its spot on when compared to shimano rods, but i wouldn't say that megabass rods of the same power are as stiff, at least not the ones i've used or currently own.
Sadly I can't try them...I'm debating if I want a medium light or medium power adrena.
I'm leaning towards the medium as long as it can throw weightless plastics comfortably.
The medium will load and cast heavier weightless plastics. Smaller plastics its not ideal. I've used 1/16 oz wacky heads with small worms and it's not bad. As for the reel, I'd recommend Shimano. I'm a Daiwa guy, but these reel seats don't play well with Daiwa reels imo. The reel feet gets scratches so I don't put them on it anymore.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:22 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
kunia13 wrote:
Polkfish1 wrote:
Polkfish1 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote: I don't find the Adrena stiff at all. It's very reminiscent of Point Blank
The medium will load and cast heavier weightless plastics. Smaller plastics its not ideal. I've used 1/16 oz wacky heads with small worms and it's not bad. As for the reel, I'd recommend Shimano. I'm a Daiwa guy, but these reel seats don't play well with Daiwa reels imo. The reel feet gets scratches so I don't put them on it anymore.
It depends on how you hold your reel. I use my adrena with a steez 103 and it palms amazingly weel. I still prefer the reel seat from the MB Hyuga, but the ones shimano uses is pretty damn good.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:02 pm

SSS wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
kunia13 wrote:
Polkfish1 wrote:
Polkfish1 wrote:
It depends on how you hold your reel. I use my adrena with a steez 103 and it palms amazingly weel. I still prefer the reel seat from the MB Hyuga, but the ones shimano uses is pretty damn good.
How does how I hold the reel have any affect on how tight the reel feet are mounted in the reel seat? Shimano reels have narrower reel feet. Daiwa is just slightly wider, and therefore the fit is tight, causing scratches on the reel feet. I've tried every Daiwa platform I have with the same results

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:29 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
SSS wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
kunia13 wrote:
Polkfish1 wrote:
How does how I hold the reel have any affect on how tight the reel feet are mounted in the reel seat? Shimano reels have narrower reel feet. Daiwa is just slightly wider, and therefore the fit is tight, causing scratches on the reel feet. I've tried every Daiwa platform I have with the same results
Yes, i did notice the fit. You have to righten it up more than usual. Works perfectly fine on my end.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:14 am

Funny thing about these new adrena handles--with regard to transmitting vibration, I think it's true; but, I find them more slippery than iphones when trying to grip. I've picked up the adrena a lot this past week and I've had to dive nearly head first into the water after hook set on two separate occasions. Last Wednesday, I hooked one in thick grass and it was gone by the time I popped out of the water with the rod. This morning--I cast as far as I can into open water and hook up soon after I begin working the lure. Next thing I know the fish pulls the rod out of my hand and it goes flying 5 feet. I immediately dive in after and snag the rod as it's being pulled out into the water. I pop out chest deep, rod up and fish is still on! I reel it into shore; it takes me for a walk under a dock in between posts and I finally land it in the water, soaked sweat pants (mosquito protection) around my ankles... :oops:
Attachments
IMG_7175.jpg
IMG_7175.jpg (48.17 KiB) Viewed 7392 times

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:50 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:Funny thing about these new adrena handles--with regard to transmitting vibration, I think it's true; but, I find them more slippery than iphones when trying to grip. I've picked up the adrena a lot this past week and I've had to dive nearly head first into the water after hook set on two separate occasions. Last Wednesday, I hooked one in thick grass and it was gone by the time I popped out of the water with the rod. This morning--I cast as far as I can into open water and hook up soon after I begin working the lure. Next thing I know the fish pulls the rod out of my hand and it goes flying 5 feet. I immediately dive in after and snag the rod as it's being pulled out into the water. I pop out chest deep, rod up and fish is still on! I reel it into shore; it takes me for a walk under a dock in between posts and I finally land it in the water, soaked sweat pants (mosquito protection) around my ankles... :oops:
Interesting. I don't find it slippery, but I haven't fished it in the rain.

kunia13
Angler
Angler

Post by kunia13 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:26 am

Thanks for the feedback.
I think I'll end up getting the Medium plus JDM Metanium.
Still...the new aldebaran and medium light adrena is quite appealing.
I have the Aldebaran BFS and I guess I've been spoiled with the weigh, thou the Met would only be 1.5 oz more.
Tough choice and wish I could try the combos in hand...

kunia13
Angler
Angler

Post by kunia13 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:05 am

ordered a medium adrena and metanium.
I guess the steez has to wait.
thanks guys

Carylab
Angler
Angler

Post by Carylab » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:31 am

Where are ya'll ordering the 2018 Poison Adrena's from? I can't seem to find them.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:38 pm

Carylab wrote:Where are ya'll ordering the 2018 Poison Adrena's from? I can't seem to find them.
I got mine from japan lure shop but does not appear like they’ve been restocking 1 piece models for some reason. That shop and Japan angler seem to have had 2 center cut models in stock. 7 palms is also with a look.

kunia13
Angler
Angler

Post by kunia13 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:08 pm

I got mine today from Japan Angler - 2 piece medium model.
Ordered it on Monday night, got it Friday noon. I'm very impressed with shipping and the packaging was hardcore, in some plastic pvc tube.
I was going fishing when it arrived so I've used it for about 6 hours, throwing weightless plastics and 1/8 texas rigs, no peg.
To the rod itself (paired it with Chronarch MGL): definitely stiffer than my 1 piece st. Croix 6'6 medium avid but softer than Shimano Crucial. It took me an hour or so to get used to it. It's light, feels lighter and more balanced than the Avid. The handle is comfy - granted it never got wet so I can't say how slippery it would get, but so far I actually like it. It's kind of hollow and I feel like it transmits vibrations better than my corck rods. I could be just insane but I actually felt the rod rubbing against my shirt.
I was throwing a 5" senko on a 4/0 ewg and that thing was flying, same for d shad.
Saying that, if I were to have only one rod, I think I'd get the medium light model and part that with an Aldebaran.