zillion 50th or type r vs steeze A

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

zillion 50th or type r vs steeze A

Post by johns » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:40 pm

i have both the 50th and type r zillion and was considering the steeze A. If anyone has used both can you compare them? How light a lure they can cast, how smooth etc. The zillions have more bearings but mostly in the handle which could be added to the steeze. The steeze A has the TW which I like in the T3's I have. Any more differences and what do you like about one or the other. thanks john

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: zillion 50th or type r vs steeze A

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:04 pm

I can only comment on the Steez A and light lures. The standard spool is good (with an adequate rod) for around 3/8oz lures. If you want to use lighter lures swap the spool (as I did) and you can easily throw 1/4 oz lures.

Amazing reel. Fits well in the hand, super smooth and relatively light.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:05 pm

None of the OG Zillion variations will cast under 3/8 very well, except the PE Special. Then there's the fact that they weigh 8.6 oz or more. That's why I have never cared for them. The Steez A is a much better choice imo, if only for the weight savings.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:31 am

the zillions will be noticeably smoother under load, but worse for everything else.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:40 pm

freelancer27 wrote:I can only comment on the Steez A and light lures. The standard spool is good (with an adequate rod) for around 3/8oz lures. If you want to use lighter lures swap the spool (as I did) and you can easily throw 1/4 oz lures.

What spool did you swap too? If I can justify the $$$ I plan on getting a Steez A JDM XS and using the stock spool in an SS/SV. Going to use the SV TW G1 Zillion spool I put in the SS/SV into the Steez A XS. Is this a good plan???

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:35 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:I can only comment on the Steez A and light lures. The standard spool is good (with an adequate rod) for around 3/8oz lures. If you want to use lighter lures swap the spool (as I did) and you can easily throw 1/4 oz lures.

What spool did you swap too? If I can justify the $$$ I plan on getting a Steez A JDM XS and using the stock spool in an SS/SV. Going to use the SV TW G1 Zillion spool I put in the SS/SV into the Steez A XS. Is this a good plan???

I put the 1016 spool in from a SV103. Yeah, the XS would be my choice as well!