SV103- too smooth?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SV103- too smooth?

Post by LowRange » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:55 pm

You know it is impossible for us to stop nerding out over fishing reels.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:04 pm

I have to agree with the OP, it doesn't have the 'connected' feel of previous Daiwas. It's got a... 'glossed over' feeling, for lack of a better term. Almost reminds me of the D7. Smooth as can be, but there's no connected feeling, moreso on the sv103.
I love the reel it's rock solid & casts great, but dont love the disconnected feeling.

*edit, and yes, it does sound strange saying a reel is "too smooth" :lol:

Kolton
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Kolton » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:39 pm

Just checking, because I'm not well versed in Daiwa, but you guys are talking about the Zillion SV103? Right? Is there a Steez SV103 too?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:09 pm

Kolton wrote:Just checking, because I'm not well versed in Daiwa, but you guys are talking about the Zillion SV103? Right? Is there a Steez SV103 too?
Neither. They are talking about the SV103. It came out the same time as the SV105. The SV103 is based off of the original Zillion frame. The SV105 is based off of the Alphas frame. Both have been discontinued. The SV103 is a coveted reel based off of the ergonomics, casting performance (without stock spool), and smoothness, all while being a solid frame. A bonus is that it takes a common spool size, unlike it's predecessor, the original (OG) Zillion. Couldn't be beat at the clearance prices.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing