Morning or Evening

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Morning or Evening

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:29 pm

What time do you prefer to fish and what do you think is better?

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Morning or Evening

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:21 pm

Both are great and have their cons and pros.

If I had to vote, it would be the morning, since fish seem to be just a bit more active in my area than the evening.

Cheers!

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:37 pm

Evening can be weird sometimes. I've had many days where I lose the bite when the sun is setting behind the mountains. Waking up in the mornings sucks though.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:59 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:What time do you prefer to fish and what do you think is better?
Yes ... :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johns » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:17 pm

used to get up at 4 to goto work so getting up a little early is no problem for me. I usually plan to fish a couple of hours in the dark and head for home around 7or 8. The only problem is the drunks and strange people who park on the ramp. You never really know who will be there and an ocasional cop who says you cant fish. Fish mostly shallow flats and rocky humps where once the sun comes out they dissappear. Retired last week and have been getting to the ramp at 3:30 every morningy since which totaly pisses the wife off.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:35 pm

I worked nights for 3 years, and have been on swing shift for the last two. When working nights, I'd get on the water just before it began to start getting light out. I'd fish for 3-4 hours, 3-4 days a week. Now I fish for 3-4 hours before dark, 3-4 days a week. I can't really say I've noticed much of a difference between the two, and I'm fishing the same general areas. I believe I caught a wider spread of species in the mornings more regularly than in the evenings. Fishing for smallmouth, in the mornings I would catch Pike and Walleye in the mix somewhat consistently. I catch a few here and there, but it's not the same, especially considering quality of those fish. This is all from the bank, so I can only assume those other, bigger fish preferred to conduct their low light, shallow feeding in the mornings. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day after all. Where I fish, I've found that the smallies are most active 60-90 minutes before the sun goes down. Maybe because those giant Pike aren't around at that time? I don't know.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:14 pm

Evening. I work nights so my sleep cycle won't let me get up function enough to hit the water early on the morning.

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:20 pm

I'm an evening fisherman. I'm not a morning person.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:46 am

I prefer early morning...cuz when I'm leaving to come back home, people are just showing up to fish...I already caught them all...

Now if I'm catfishing...that's more of an evening to night fishing. I'm just showing up to fish, while people are leaving.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish