Steez SV TW castability compared to Tat SV TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez SV TW castability compared to Tat SV TW

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:42 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Cracker wrote: True, and yes, I throw finesse worms with the lightest nail weight broke in half on my Steez SV TW connected to my light action / power stick, a rod I would not by any means want a Zillion SV TW hanging from :lol:
On a medium power rod, yes - That's more like it for that reel
Well that was what I thought you were referring to, because the next step down from what I use is about exactly what you described, maybe even 2 steps down in the finesse game. That's really cool you use the Steez for that though, I bet that is a ton of fun when fish are biting good.

hasnoboat1
Angler
Angler

Post by hasnoboat1 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:07 pm

hmmm...
well since the O.P. asked about casting and in 3 pages nobody actually mentioned distance I guess I will try to share my experience.
I like testing and comparing things fairly.
I own a steez sv tw, and a tat sv tw.
One day I put them both on the same rod , both were spooled with the same line and I casted the same bait on dry land (sidewalk for ease of measurement.

For $300 more the steez got me 10-12' more distance over 145-160'
Is it worth it to me?
Yes, but not just because of distance. Everything about it is pleasant to use. It is aesthetically pleasing, light, smooth and has cool factor.
With that being said I would not recommend it to most people as the price tag just doesn't make since for any of my fishing friends.

I do also have a non sv zillion and it fell right in between the other 2 reels. Seems like to me for $200 you cast very far with tat then gain about 5' for every $100 you spend on top of that. :shock:

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:19 pm

This^^^^^^^ =D>

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:31 pm

hasnoboat1 wrote:hmmm...
well since the O.P. asked about casting and in 3 pages nobody actually mentioned distance I guess I will try to share my experience.
One day I put them both on the same rod , both were spooled with the same line and I casted the same bait on dry land (sidewalk for ease of measurement.

Is it worth it to me?
Yes, but not just because of distance. Everything about it is pleasant to use. It is aesthetically pleasing, light, smooth and has cool factor.
With that being said I would not recommend it to most people as the price tag just doesn't make since for any of my fishing friends.

I do also have a non sv zillion and it fell right in between the other 2 reels. Seems like to me for $200 you cast very far with tat then gain about 5' for every $100 you spend on top of that. :shock:
I'm assuming you were using a heavier bait - quarter or better? Try 3/32 oz and see if you get different results

hasnoboat1
Angler
Angler

Post by hasnoboat1 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:03 am

^^^ I am a performance based practical kind of guy.
For 3/32 im using spinning gear. A $20 spinning reel will cast further than a $500 casting reel in this situation.

Even though this is not an application I agree with I am now curious as to what will happen with the casting reels mentioned.
I will conduct the test and report back.

BoatBuggy
Angler
Angler

Post by BoatBuggy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:24 am

hasnoboat1 wrote:^^^ I am a performance based practical kind of guy.
For 3/32 im using spinning gear. A $20 spinning reel will cast further than a $500 casting reel in this situation.
It probably will but castability doesn't mean just distance..... ;)

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:05 am

Is it worth it to me?

:
Exactly, in general after you get past the $150, $200 price point you get very minimal if any performance increase that will put any more fish in the boat but we gladly pay much more for the increased fun factor when we aren't catching a fish which is most casts after all.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:08 am

Is it worth it to me?
What fishing lure (brand, model, weight) did you use in your test?

hasnoboat1
Angler
Angler

Post by hasnoboat1 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:19 am

To the best of my memory that test I used a 3.8" keitech in black shad color with a gammy 3/0 1/8oz screwlock hook with 30lb Daiwa j-braid on a 7'0" mf envy black... It could have been a different weight hook though. lol
The point of the test was to see what the improvement of casting distance was per dollar applied.

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:38 am

Many thanks to all that offered insight! Especially hasnoboat!! That is exactly the info that I was looking for, a direct comparison.
hasnoboat1 wrote: One day I put them both on the same rod , both were spooled with the same line and I casted the same bait on dry land (sidewalk for ease of measurement.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:11 am

I would definitely say the price versus performance/quality/reliability/etc. chart always starts to plateau concerning reels, not sure about rods though, even though I feel $150+ range rods will always be enough for me.

Seems to me the big gap is from $50 reels to around $150 reels. Then reels more expensive than that get closer in what you get for your dollar.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:02 pm

hasnoboat1 wrote:^^^ I am a performance based practical kind of guy.

Even though this is not an application I agree with I am now curious as to what will happen with the casting reels mentioned.
I will conduct the test and report back.
:lol: :lol: :roll:

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:02 pm

Is it worth it to me?

Wouldn't the extra distance cast, increasing your distance by 5%, even more if you assume potentially fish may bust up anywhere, left, right, in front or behind the boat, allow you to present your bait to many more fish? This 5% increase becomes 10% if you factor in the diameter of the circle you can present to. In many situations, this may put a lot more fish on your deck.

hasnoboat1
Angler
Angler

Post by hasnoboat1 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:23 pm

^^^ I think "hogsticker knows something he didn't share with us....
Thank you sir for changing a variable and encouraging a retest...

I did the best I could without respooling reels. I have everything setup differently now than I did before. I was able to get consistant enough results to prove the point I believe he was trying to make about the gains are much greater between $200 and $500 when light baits are factored into the equation.

rods
All casting reels tested on edge rods black widow ds6101 6'10" 1 power extra fast rod rated 1/16- 3/8
All spinning reels tested on Cabellas Arachnid 6'10" mlf rod rated at 1/8 - 3/8
These were the 2 closets rods I had to compare casting to spinning and what I would choose to throw a ned rig on

Bait was a zman trd ned rig goby color on owner 1/16 ewg jig head, total weight 6 grams

casting reels distance of cast
Tat svtw 45'
Zillion tw 50'
sssv 103 68'
steez svtw 80'
alderbaran 30 86'

spinning reels
okuma avenger 90'
stradic cl4+ 90'

The line diameters weren"t all apples to apples which does factor in but I did the best I could without throwing out or respooling $50 in line.

In the end The point is that the more money you spend on a casting reel the bigger the performance gains are on super light baits...or that your $500 casting setup can cast as far as your spinning gear but still not properly slackline fall a senko worm! lol

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:12 pm

Nice work although I think you should probably test the other 50% or so of the casting equation. Placing baits into targets with precision. I would also include skipping baits as part of this as well. I am also perplexed by the statement that the SV can not get a slack line senko fall like a spinning reel. With the SV reels you run literally no spool tension at all and the brakes control the spool. I found that the ability to get senko type baits to fall vertically and zero spool tension to be a big part of the appeal for SV reels in addition to the skipping. I am of the opinion that if you're not going to be doing any of that then the Magforce Z reels are just fine and that the Tatula reels are really good peeformance bang for your buck.