Spinning MH rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Heronimo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Spinning MH rod

Post by Heronimo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi all:

Need some help picking a spinning rod in the $150 +/- range. Narrowed it down to Daiwa Cronos, Denali Kovert Lite or Abu Villain 2.0. Want a split grip with either EVA or Winn handles. Will be used with a Daiwa Fuego LT 3000 series with 20lb braid for fishing plastics around pads/weeds. Any thoughts on these three rods? Thanks.

Steve

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Spinning MH rod

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:07 pm

A little bit more dough, but worth a look: http://tackletour.com/reviewevergreenco ... hspin.html

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:38 pm

The Cronos are hugely underrated rods imo.
Heronimo wrote:Hi all:

Need some help picking a spinning rod in the $150 +/- range. Narrowed it down to Daiwa Cronos, Denali Kovert Lite or Abu Villain 2.0. Want a split grip with either EVA or Winn handles. Will be used with a Daiwa Fuego LT 3000 series with 20lb braid for fishing plastics around pads/weeds. Any thoughts on these three rods? Thanks.

Steve

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:50 pm

Look at Irod's Fred's Power Finesse H which is a MH.

Heronimo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heronimo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:03 am

Finnz922 wrote:Look at Irod's Fred's Power Finesse H which is a MH.
How's the handle length on that rod? Looks short in the pick on TW.

Also, the Evergreen Rod looks pretty nice. Not sure I'm feeling the camo action on the grips, but not a deal breaker. Regards to action, any thoughts on Fast vs. Moderate Fast?
Last edited by Heronimo on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heronimo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heronimo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:04 am

Also, any thoughts on Big Bear Spinning Rods?

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:33 am

Heronimo wrote:
Finnz922 wrote:Look at Irod's Fred's Power Finesse H which is a MH.
How's the handle length on that rod? Looks short in the pick on TW.

Also, the Evergreen Rod looks pretty nice. Not sure I'm feeling the camo action on the grips, but not a deal breaker. Regards to action, any thoughts on Fast vs. Moderate Fast?
I will measure it tonight when I get home from work. I have a Tatula LT 3000 on it and it balances pretty good.

Heronimo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heronimo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:00 am

I will measure it tonight when I get home from work. I have a Tatula LT 3000 on it and it balances pretty good.[/quote]
Awesome, thank you!

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:54 am

Lots available in that sub 200 realm.

Some really nice rods will be shown this icast
(((and I mean some REEEEEAAAAALLLLLY nice sticks some new and some improved)))

If you have a stick that can hold ya over.....I suggest waiting until fall

I suggest taking a look at the kistler mg's very nice sticks for the coin. (frequently on sale directly off their site at least according to a friend who bought 9) I was very surprised by their sensitivity. If they used the latest tvs seat vs the standard barrel they'd be a home run!

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:17 pm

Heronimo wrote:I will measure it tonight when I get home from work. I have a Tatula LT 3000 on it and it balances pretty good.
Awesome, thank you![/quote]

From the green accent directly above the fore grip it measures 16". From the middle of the reel foot on the reel seat to the butt it measures 13". This rod is very versatile. I really like it.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:43 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:Lots available in that sub 200 realm.

Some really nice rods will be shown this icast
(((and I mean some REEEEEAAAAALLLLLY nice sticks some new and some improved)))

If you have a stick that can hold ya over.....I suggest waiting until fall

I suggest taking a look at the kistler mg's very nice sticks for the coin. (frequently on sale directly off their site at least according to a friend who bought 9) I was very surprised by their sensitivity. If they used the latest tvs seat vs the standard barrel they'd be a home run!
Some REEEEEAAAAALLLLLLY nice sticks in the sub 200 realm or some REEEEEAAAAALLLLLY nice sticks? I really don't need anymore rods but you have piqued my curiosity :lol:

Heronimo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heronimo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:02 am

I suggest taking a look at the kistler mg's very nice sticks for the coin. (frequently on sale directly off their site at least according to a friend who bought 9) I was very surprised by their sensitivity. If they used the latest tvs seat vs the standard barrel they'd be a home run![/quote]

Ordinarily I would wait, but I have hole in my rod arsenal at the MH level. I've been using an older Daiwa TD spinning 7' MH that also doubles as a light saltwater rod. It's a heavy rod that is great for slinging SP minnows and Mag Darters- not so much for light plastics.

I'll look a the Kistler's as well. I looked at the Fenwick AETOS, but there's something about that rod that doesn't excite me. I had an HMG that was very bland in terms of performance.

Heronimo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heronimo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:04 am

Finnz922 wrote:
Heronimo wrote:I will measure it tonight when I get home from work. I have a Tatula LT 3000 on it and it balances pretty good.
Awesome, thank you!
From the green accent directly above the fore grip it measures 16". From the middle of the reel foot on the reel seat to the butt it measures 13". This rod is very versatile. I really like it.[/quote]

Thank you!

Heronimo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heronimo » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:21 am

Thanks for everyone's help. I got a chance to handle some of these rods at a recent tourney and I've narrowed it down to two rods- Kistler Mag2 LMH/MF and the Denali Lithium MH/MF, both in 7'. Lithium has a cork reel seat handle but it felt really nice. I'll end up pulling the trigger on one of these in the next week or so. Thanks for the help again.