Dobyns XP versus Megabass thoughts…

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Dobyns XP versus Megabass thoughts…

Post by Randingo » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:25 pm

Maybe my subject line was too vague in my last post…

I’m looking for two swim bait rods (unless one can do both). I seem to have narrowed it down to Megabass – either the new Leviathan or the equivalent in the Destroyer lineup – or a Dobyns champion XP, looking specifically at the 806 and 807 swim bait rods. With Dobyns, I know the 806 is well-suited to glide baits, Lunker Punkers, etc., but is the Megabass a substitute for the 806, or can it also handle 8”+ Huddleston style swim baits? Can anyone comment on the relative sensitivity, weight, balance, and power? Thanks.
Last edited by Randingo on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Dobbins XP versus Megabass thoughts…

Post by Cristo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:54 am

loaded post here :laugh1: 806 for me and my opinion wasn't good for lunker Punkers in any size, it was their 795 that was the one for that in my opinion and I think Cal did a review on that particular rod as well. for me the Dobyns 806 variant in Megabass would be in my opinion the TS Destroyer blackjack that thing can do a lot without being overpowerin but enough to make it super versatile in my hands. I have been throwing weights well above the five ounce range without fear. The blackjack has got a lot of power I throw a lot of hudds of the rof 12 variety as well as my favorite lure at this time on it is the bullshooter 160. In my opinion you really can't go wrong with dobyns for swimbait rods to me they were the industry standard and are pretty killer but as many know I fish Megabass exclusively at this point hope that helps a little bit. If you can give a little more detail on the type of lures you plan to throw that would probably help a little bit more to determine which path you choose

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Dobbins XP versus Megabass thoughts…

Post by Cristo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:55 am

Just as a heads up there's several posts on the Blackjack and TS Destroyer lines try to do a search if not send me a PM and I'll answer any questions you have

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Dobyns XP versus Megabass thoughts…

Post by Cristo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:47 pm

My apologies I didn't mean to steer the thread into the TS Destroyer line I'm merely speaking from experience. In any case I'm sure some other folks can come along and chime in with some other big bait rods that Megabass provides such as the Onager and the newer XX Leviathan. The Leviathan specifically has excellent heritage, so I imagine the new one would be pretty nice :-k

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:47 am

The dobyns 795 would be a great choice for your mentioned bait choices, but im going to be the other guy to throw in the ts destroyer black jack lol. I cant put that rod down lately its got a really cool taper its a med fast but it has so much power for what it is. Its not your 6 oz super hvy swimbait stick but baits in the 1- 3 ish range work so well with it. I usually would want a faster tip rod for single hook swimbaits but i wouldnt hesitate to throw them on the black jack because of the nice back bone power the rod has. I have been throwing glidebaits, tripple trouts, and slammers on it. I have it paired with a daiwa ryoga 1520 cc and absolutely love it. here in two weeks im going to order the orochi xx leviathan and will get back with you on how it fishes if you are still on the fence about the rods. the blackjack is a split grip but the handle is long enough to not cause any discomfort while fishing. if you go the dobyns route i would go 795 over the 806.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:16 pm

Just to reiterate in my hands I feel very very comfortable throwing ROF 12 in the 8-inch version of the huddleston's :big grin: , but she is also my bullshooter 160 rod for sure :big grin: