Megabass Orochi XX... What’s next for the USDM??

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Megabass Orochi XX... What’s next for the USDM??

Post by i_am_R2 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:03 pm

Do any of the higher power (F7 and up) casting models have the longer trigger? I remember my xxx Destruction had a longer trigger than the Chimera. If anyone has an answer it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

88ms3
Angler
Angler

Post by 88ms3 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:50 am

For the guys that broke their new xx rods. Why not just return the rods to the store vs going through the warranty process? I would hate to waste the one "free" warranty claim on a new barely used rod. I've got the Diablo and Brailist on pre-order, hoping for no issues with mines but sometimes u never know with new rod series.

Scuba Scott
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scuba Scott » Tue May 22, 2018 10:55 am

88ms3 wrote:For the guys that broke their new xx rods. Why not just return the rods to the store vs going through the warranty process? I would hate to waste the one "free" warranty claim on a new barely used rod. I've got the Diablo and Brailist on pre-order, hoping for no issues with mines but sometimes u never know with new rod series.
To my knowledge there is no over the counter return policy with megabass. You fill out the warranty form, send it with the broken rod for them to assess. I am not close to the place from which I purchased the rod ,so it would not be an option for me either way.

88ms3
Angler
Angler

Post by 88ms3 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:14 pm

Scuba Scott wrote:
88ms3 wrote:For the guys that broke their new xx rods. Why not just return the rods to the store vs going through the warranty process? I would hate to waste the one "free" warranty claim on a new barely used rod. I've got the Diablo and Brailist on pre-order, hoping for no issues with mines but sometimes u never know with new rod series.
To my knowledge there is no over the counter return policy with megabass. You fill out the warranty form, send it with the broken rod for them to assess. I am not close to the place from which I purchased the rod ,so it would not be an option for me either way.
Megabass doesn't do over the counter warranty with any store I know of, in fact I don't know of much stores that do for any rods,besides Cabelas bass pro etc, but if you are within the return date of the retailer, it may be worth a shot. To me any reputable retailer should have a good return policy. Plus I'd rather pay for return shipping to the store then pay for the replacement fee to megabass later on should the replacement rod break again. Whatever you decide keep us updated on how your replacement is handled.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:36 pm

I still haven't had a chance to fish my whipsnake but my addermine is a tough sob.

Scuba Scott
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scuba Scott » Tue May 22, 2018 5:58 pm

88ms3 wrote:
Scuba Scott wrote:
Megabass doesn't do over the counter warranty with any store I know of, in fact I don't know of much stores that do for any rods,besides Cabelas bass pro etc, but if you are within the return date of the retailer, it may be worth a shot. To me any reputable retailer should have a good return policy. Plus I'd rather pay for return shipping to the store then pay for the replacement fee to megabass later on should the replacement rod break again. Whatever you decide keep us updated on how your replacement is handled.
To my knowledge, any warranty issues are only dealt with by filling out the forms and returning products directly to them. This includes lures as well I believe. From my experience with the daemos issues, first broken one replaced and you are only out the shipping of the broken rod back to them. 2nd break of the same rod and it’s on you to pay 40% msrp no matter if the issue was product failure or you shut it in the rod locker. This is where I tend to disagree with the warranty. So in theory, I have to ship my 2nd broken rod on my dime plus 40% msrp for a new rod that has failed twice.

No issue with paying a replacement fee/shipping when I did something stupid to break the rod. Whole other issue when it fails more than once under normal use in a short period of time.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Tue May 22, 2018 6:39 pm

Scuba Scott wrote:
88ms3 wrote:
Scuba Scott wrote:
To my knowledge, any warranty issues are only dealt with by filling out the forms and returning products directly to them. This includes lures as well I believe. From my experience with the daemos issues, first broken one replaced and you are only out the shipping of the broken rod back to them. 2nd break of the same rod and it’s on you to pay 40% msrp no matter if the issue was product failure or you shut it in the rod locker. This is where I tend to disagree with the warranty. So in theory, I have to ship my 2nd broken rod on my dime plus 40% msrp for a new rod that has failed twice.

No issue with paying a replacement fee/shipping when I did something stupid to break the rod. Whole other issue when it fails more than once under normal use in a short period of time.
Honestly, if I was a rod company and you sent in a broken rod and I replaced it for free, then you immediately broke the second rod just like the first, I'd charge you full price too. In this thread I've counted you mentioning breaking 5 rods (plus the "when I did something stupid to break the rod" rod).
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the issue isn't the rods...

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:18 am

Honestly, if I was a rod company and you sent in a broken rod and I replaced it for free, then you immediately broke the second rod just like the first, I'd charge you full price too. ...[/quote]

Agreed. If you haven't broken a rod, you ain't fishing. I think one do over is a fair deal. I buy a lot of my rods second hand or from overseas, so I found this whole MB warranty replacement of my super destroyer as a huge surprise and bonus when I found out about it. When the rod broke initially, I was way more concerned about landing the fish...

Scuba Scott
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scuba Scott » Wed May 23, 2018 4:39 am

The comment about “doing something stupid to break a rod” was my attempt at saying,I don’t mind paying whatever to replace a rod when it was my fault. In this case, these rods failed under normal use early in the rods life. Yes, I have broke 5 rods now. 2 non megabass which were totally my fault. 3 were megabass ( 2 USA destroyer daemos,1. 2018 XX Diablo Spec R). As it was pointed out earlier by someone going out on a limb.......I’m sure it’s my fault and not that there may be an issue with a particular blank.

The thread has went off topic, so let’s get back to the discussion of the new XX rods. From what I have seen I do like the improvements. They seem lighter and better balanced. I really like the reel seat as it keeps the reel sitting lower on the rod and is more comfortable. I am looking forward to hearing what others have to say about some of the other models.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Wed May 23, 2018 9:18 am

Back on track it is then!

2018 Orochi XX Ronin with a Shimano Exsence Ci4+ 3000HGM (10# Sufix braid)

Went out last weekend kayaking open water (lake) here in NC and caught a couple of nice size bass (lost a couple too). Handled 1/2oz. topwater, 3/8oz. crankbait, Texas rigged lizard, Vision 110 jerk, and prolly some other lures I wanted to use. Cast pretty much everything the proverbial country mile. Loaded up so very, very nice. I like a more moderate tip than Xfast, so YMMV. Sensitive, nimble and just a joy to use.

The tip is probably a bit too soft for the 110, same with the top water, but I'll try it again. Didn't try any finesse stuff like Ned rig or drop-shot this time.

The combo feels 'heavy' when I pick it up (compared a NRX 852s with a Stradic Ci4+ FB) but once in hand, balances perfect and feels like an extension of my hand/arm. Definitely put a smile on my face when casting and a big smile when a fish was on the other end!

Handle is comfortable, cork is good. This is a better rod IMHO than the Avid X 6'8" Med Xfast I had. I'll have to think some more on exactly why.

Kudos to Megabass.
IMG_0490.jpg
IMG_0490.jpg (80.85 KiB) Viewed 6444 times
IMG_0487.jpg
IMG_0487.jpg (98.92 KiB) Viewed 6444 times

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Wed May 23, 2018 5:36 pm

i_am_R2 wrote:Do any of the higher power (F7 and up) casting models have the longer trigger? I remember my xxx Destruction had a longer trigger than the Chimera. If anyone has an answer it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Yes. For instance the trigger on the Aklys is longer than trigger on Perfect Pitch.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed May 23, 2018 6:32 pm

M Perry wrote:Yes. For instance the trigger on the Aklys is longer than trigger on Perfect Pitch.

Okay, this gives me hope. Any chance at a photo comparison of the different triggers?

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Wed May 23, 2018 6:45 pm

reason162 wrote:
M Perry wrote:Yes. For instance the trigger on the Aklys is longer than trigger on Perfect Pitch.

Okay, this gives me hope. Any chance at a photo comparison of the different triggers?

Its approx: 1/4" longer than Perfect Pitch trigger. I will try to get some pix out on the water tommorrow. The US Destroyers also have the various trigger lengths based on models.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:08 pm

M Perry wrote:
i_am_R2 wrote:Do any of the higher power (F7 and up) casting models have the longer trigger? I remember my xxx Destruction had a longer trigger than the Chimera. If anyone has an answer it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Yes. For instance the trigger on the Aklys is longer than trigger on Perfect Pitch.
Thanks! I am hoping the Perfect Pitch has a longer trigger than the F5/lower power models. Look forward to seeing the pics. Thanks again!

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Wed May 23, 2018 7:19 pm

What about the Braillist? Trigger length? Thanks!