Rod for Bantam (MH)

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Rod for Bantam (MH)

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:13 pm

tywithay wrote:I would look at the Fantasista Regista from sierra trading post, or the Orochi XX from Tackle Trap. If you can get a $300-$500 rod for $199, you'll be getting more for your money. A lot of places have the Megabass Levante on sale as well. That's a good rod, especially at a sale price. I have a Curado rod and it's super comfortable to fish with, but there's absolutely nothing special about the blank. The Elites (without ags) are in the same boat. I would definitely look for sales and used deals before making any purchases.
I'm actually all about Abu's rods. Really like the Villain2.0's. If I could find a Fantasista I'd get it quick, guarantee they would honor the warranty.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri May 11, 2018 6:21 pm

So after researching more on this same topic it's come down to these:

7'2" Curado MH
7'3" Tatula Elite MH (regular guides)
73" Dobyns Sierra MH

I like the Zodias also, but they are rated 3/8-1oz and I was scared they might be more stiff. Also I got to hold the Dobyns in hand and almost thought I should check out the 734 over the 733. The 733 was about the same power/taper as my 7'Medium Abu Villain 2.0s. Will probably be using 14-16lb fluoro on this setup so I just thought maybe the 733 was a tad light, even though I'd be fine to have another rod in that range.

Are there any other rods I am missing out there?

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Fri May 11, 2018 6:47 pm

Check out Hammer Rods. I own many high end rods (Customs built on NFC HM blanks, Megabass, GLX and NRX) and my Hammer rods hold their own in my rotation.

Talk to Gary at The Tackle Trap, and he will help you out.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun May 13, 2018 7:28 pm

JDLaman wrote:Check out Hammer Rods. I own many high end rods (Customs built on NFC HM blanks, Megabass, GLX and NRX) and my Hammer rods hold their own in my rotation.

Talk to Gary at The Tackle Trap, and he will help you out.
I noticed that they carry Hammer rods so they must be pretty good. One or two friends have them and mentioned good things, even though neither gave a detailed review.

Any suggestions for the length/power I am looking for???

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Sun May 13, 2018 9:14 pm

Based on your applications, I'd be looking at the 7'MH or 7'H.

I use a 7'MH and the 6'9"M. I use these for very specific inshore applications. I've caught Redfish in the 25-35lb. class range on the 7'MH and it handled them no problem. I'm not dealing with any real cover or depth where I'm using these rods so factor that into your decision as well.

The rods are very durable and have excellent build quality. They are also quite sensitive for sub $200.00 rods. I also like that the rods are a little slower action than most rods on the market today that are rated as fast action. Makes for a great casting rod as well as a rod that will keep fish pinned with excellent control near the boat.

I would talk to Gary and get his input on your applications. I've bought quite a few rods from him and he has always helped me obtain exactly what I needed for my application.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Tue May 15, 2018 4:38 am

i just said this same story in another thread but I second the Hammer rods
went to tackle trap to see all the goodies mainly the higher end rods on my radar being some megabass and conquest rods. I ended up leaving the store with a hammer rod 7,6 xh which feels awesome. they are really balanced, light, great unique taper, and fairly sensitive for the price you are paying.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Fri May 18, 2018 7:47 am

If you're looking for rods in that price range, I'd also take a look at the Phenix Feather rods as well.

nossuc242
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nossuc242 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:52 pm

accodn2ryan wrote:If you're looking for rods in that price range, I'd also take a look at the Phenix Feather rods as well.
This, I have my Bantam paired with 7'1 H, it balances just above the reel lock and light as a "Feather." :D