Micro Module Gear Core MG8 SVS infinity

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Micro Module Gear Core MG8 SVS infinity

Post by goldrod » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:06 pm

I'd like to see this come to production
the ergonomics of the old school core with the micro module gears and SVS infinity
I wonder if it is even possible?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Micro Module Gear Core MG8 SVS infinity

Post by spookybaits » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:51 pm

I think that's pretty much what the bantam is, no?

I think shimano seems to be going in a different direction with more squared off, angular design vs the rounded lo profile bodies of the past.
Would make a cool reel though, loved that body. Unfortunately I don't know how well it would sell. As rods have become more application specific, so have reels- splitting into either lighter weight category or heavy duty. The 100 sizes were in between, and why I ultimately sold off all my 100 size cores & chron d's due to lack of versatility- didn't have the line capacity for heavier line applications & didn't excel with lighter baits. (Replaced them with OG zillions- same size reel, huge line capacity bump).

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:54 pm

spookybaits wrote:I think that's pretty much what the bantam is, no?

I think shimano seems to be going in a different direction with more squared off, angular design vs the rounded lo profile bodies of the past.
Would make a cool reel though, loved that body. Unfortunately I don't know how well it would sell. As rods have become more application specific, so have reels- splitting into either lighter weight category or heavy duty. The 100 sizes were in between, and why I ultimately sold off all my 100 size cores & chron d's due to lack of versatility- didn't have the line capacity for heavier line applications & didn't excel with lighter baits. (Replaced them with OG zillions- same size reel, huge line capacity bump).

I understand your point but for me the cores were the sexiest shimano's I have an antares and although its pretty it feels horrible due to the flexing in my hands. I just have a love for the body of the core's but you make a good argument concerning the versatility of them. I never really consider it, in fact I will have to go out on the water to remember..lol
Most of my reels have some sort of shallow spool in them, to include a couple of my D7's which to me were super with braid and i didnt waste to much line especially not having backing.. Thats for the inspiration to get on the water.. I am not sure what direction
shimano is going.. I almost want to buy another reel but the Bantam is calling. :-$
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Fri May 11, 2018 12:30 pm

At this point, I think your best option would be to find a 12 Exsence DC and I am sure you could swap some MM gears/pinion from something else by now. You may be a test subject though.

You would also be missing the SVS system but the DC+ system on that reel is probably better if you like DC.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat May 12, 2018 7:03 am

lape0019 wrote:At this point, I think your best option would be to find a 12 Exsence DC and I am sure you could swap some MM gears/pinion from something else by now. You may be a test subject though.

You would also be missing the SVS system but the DC+ system on that reel is probably better if you like DC.
That is an interesting project if it could even be done

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sun May 13, 2018 9:25 am

Mentanium MGL with brass gears. :-({|=

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Mon May 14, 2018 5:06 pm

goldrod wrote:
lape0019 wrote:At this point, I think your best option would be to find a 12 Exsence DC and I am sure you could swap some MM gears/pinion from something else by now. You may be a test subject though.

That is an interesting project if it could even be done
The 12 Essence DC is already micro module

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:40 pm

Well that's even better!

You won't get much closer than that goldrod!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue May 15, 2018 4:03 pm

lape0019 wrote:Well that's even better!

You won't get much closer than that goldrod!
im looking now....lol