Frankensteining the SV103...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Frankensteining the SV103...

Post by spookybaits » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:27 pm

For maximum potential.

With talk of them being over-braked, I got to messing around...

See where I'm going with this?
The zillion side plate mounts right up. More specifically, the zillion brake magnets. :idea:

So with that quick swap, now I have an SV103, with OG Zillion type R brakes and an Ito spool \:D/

Pouring down rain so I can't test atm, but this should be a fun can of worms to open :D

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Frankensteining the SV103...

Post by spookybaits » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:30 pm

*Side note- the sv103 plate didn't seem to want to swing into place on the zillion. Perhaps it'll fit with some fidgeting but I didn't want to force it.
(Not that it matters as the goal was to fit the zillion brakes on the sv103, not the other way around. Just putting it out there fyi)

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:10 pm

Rain let up so I got a chance to do some yard casting.

Good news: it casts great!

Bad news: there's a substantial spool/frame gap on the palm side of the frame, that the stock sv103 brake housing lip filled, zillion doesn't.

You can see in this pic the protruding lip of the stock sv103 playe(in the rear)

But it appears like there's potential for the magnets themselves to be swapped. I don't know if the juice is worth the squeeze, but if you're reel savvy and have some old zillion magnets laying around (or maybe other models fit?), it could be a fun project to tinker with!

Personally I'm pretty happy with the stock spool, and from what I read be happier with the zillion g1 sv spool. But this IS tackletour :big grin:

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:36 pm

The magnets are not the issue with reel feeling over braked. It’s the inductor on the stock spool. That’s why I’ve been running the Zillion SV spool. It opens the 103 up emmensley.

Larsey
Angler
Angler

Post by Larsey » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:24 am

Interresting...

Is it possible to demount further, to just use the actual magnet rings
from the OG zillion in the sv103?

How much did the magnet force weakend? (how much higher on the dial for equal brake after swapping?)

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:55 pm

PikeRoadBassn wrote:The magnets are not the issue with reel feeling over braked. It’s the inductor on the stock spool. That’s why I’ve been running the Zillion SV spool. It opens the 103 up emmensley.
I concur. Much easier to find a spool with the appropriate sized inductor. More than plenty of spools readily available. Though I must admit, tinkering from time to time can be fun.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:48 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
PikeRoadBassn wrote:The magnets are not the issue with reel feeling over braked. It’s the inductor on the stock spool. That’s why I’ve been running the Zillion SV spool. It opens the 103 up emmensley.
I concur. Much easier to find a spool with the appropriate sized inductor. More than plenty of spools readily available. Though I must admit, tinkering from time to time can be fun.
Absolutely! Having fished Shimano most of my life and being relatively new to Daiwa, having so many different possibilities now for swapping parts, oem & aftermarket upgrades, modifications, etc- it's a hobby within itself :lol: