First look at new Megabass Orochi XX rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: First look at new Megabass Orochi XX rods

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:24 am

I have the whipsnake on order, we will see how it compares to the addermine, I will also compare it to the
Kister helium 3 ML, the NFC blank is pretty sweet.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:43 am

FunInTheSun wrote:Wondering how these stack up against the USDM destroyer?
I'm wondering how they stack up against the newest GLX's(atleast sensitivity wise).

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:01 pm

spookybaits wrote:
FunInTheSun wrote:Wondering how these stack up against the USDM destroyer?
I'm wondering how they stack up against the newest GLX's(atleast sensitivity wise).
I had a day on the water with quite a few of the new Megabass XX rods today. Are they $399 Megabass US Destroyer or $450 Loomis GLX sensitive? In my limited experience with new XX, probably not overall as a series, but that isn't really an apples and oranges comparison either. What I will say is that I am more impressed with them than I thought I would be and I did not miss any bites due to a lack of sensitivity. Part of what impressed me the most was that they were in fact more sensitive than I expected.

I spent more time with the Braillist today than any other model. I pitched and casted a 1/4 and 3/8 oz. jig head with a plastic craw most of the time, but threw a 1 oz tungsten FB jig later in the day. It's no wonder this model has generated so much interest... it's definitely going to be a winner. The Perfect Pitch landed fish pitching a 1/2 oz head/plastic combo and was what I hoped it would be - powerful, sensitive, and capable of much more than only bottom contact fishing.

The Diablo Spec R handled a chatter bait very well, and in my hands, I enjoyed how it felt with the S-Crank 1.5 too, but I do prefer stouter rods for square bills than some folks. It will be an excellent utility rod indeed certainly capable of bottom contact fishing. The Jerk Bait Special loaded and casted a Vision 110 as expected and the length didn't present a problem. It also launched the new LBO Flap Slap (amazing casting bait by the way) exceptionally well. The Aklys will make the punching crowd happy with its mod fast action and heavy power. There were no mats to be found, but I fished a 1 oz. jig with a big trailer out deep to get a feel for how it handled the weight and it's sensitivity... serious punchers will like this one I think. The Shaky Head will also make an excellent utility spinning rod too. I threw shakey heads and the Vision 110 - it handled both as expected.

A brief summary on a few of the models. I'm a Megabass fan from way back and my initial impression is that they've done an excellent job with the new series. They have the look and feel of a Megabass rod. I look forward to hearing what others think in May short of the Braillist of course. Pre order customers of The Tackle Trap will see their rods in May if all goes as we're told!

www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:04 pm

As always it's great to have your input on this form thank you very much Mr GW!!

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:04 am

Awesome write up, really informative! thanks Gary!
Is there another rod that you can compare the Diablo to? Is it similar to any other Mb rod, or loomis, dobyns, st croix, etc?

2 Side notes:
1. I don't care what anyone says- that Bape Zillion is an awesome looking reel! =D>
2. I'm trying to play hooky from work tomorrow to come by TTT for Daiwa day, been way too long since I've been there!

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:28 pm

The wait is killing me....

Tacklewarehouse says mid summer, I hope not

FishNrace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Location: Canada - Fishing my life away any chance i get.....

Post by FishNrace » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:14 am

Bronzefly, can you possibly comment on the Emtf you fished please? Can it still be used for bottom contact and plastics like the old Emtf? Or is it much more parabolic, specifically for crankbaits/moving baits? I'm hoping it is just as versatile as the older one i own... before ordering the new Emtf.
I'll be getting the Braillist now too after your comments. Thanks in advance.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:38 am

spookybaits wrote:Awesome write up, really informative! thanks Gary!
Is there another rod that you can compare the Diablo to? Is it similar to any other Mb rod, or loomis, dobyns, st croix, etc?

2 Side notes:
1. I don't care what anyone says- that Bape Zillion is an awesome looking reel! =D>
2. I'm trying to play hooky from work tomorrow to come by TTT for Daiwa day, been way too long since I've been there!
Agree on the Bape. =D>

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:57 pm

FishNrace wrote:Bronzefly, can you possibly comment on the Emtf you fished please? Can it still be used for bottom contact and plastics like the old Emtf? Or is it much more parabolic, specifically for crankbaits/moving baits? I'm hoping it is just as versatile as the older one i own... before ordering the new Emtf.
I'll be getting the Braillist now too after your comments. Thanks in advance.
I did not fish the EMTF on my outing. Based on my conversations with staff guys who have fished the new EMTF, absolutely, it can be fished with bottom contact and is not a treble bait specific rod. You'll be very happy with the Braillist I'm sure!
spookybaits wrote:Awesome write up, really informative! thanks Gary!

2 Side notes:
Thanks spooky!

The DSR is an interesting rod as it has the classic Megabass feel where it's highly versatile without compromising it's sensitivity in a significant way. From single hook moving baits on to bottom contact stuff, then some top water or a senko - it does a fantastic job.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

FishNrace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Location: Canada - Fishing my life away any chance i get.....

Post by FishNrace » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:52 pm

Bronzefly, much thanks for your input on Emtf. In my area, I don't get a chance to handle the rods before buying.... I'm glad they didn't change the EMTF into a strictly treble bait rod. When you fish it, do share.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:55 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:The wait is killing me....

I cannot speak on behalf of TW but I know the rod/retailers should start shipping the first week in May unless something out of the ordinary happens. The only rod that will be slightly delayed will be the Braillist and it will be approx: 2-4 weeks behind the rest.
That is current as of about an hour ago in relation to the estimated MB ship times.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:43 pm

Gary - have you had a chance to fish the PP? Curious to know if it has the same tip as the old one and if it would be just as good of a frog rod. I have other stuff for pitching so this would be a dedicated frog rod. If the old one is better suited, ill be lurking on here early next wk ;)

-z

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:08 pm

M Perry wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:The wait is killing me....

I cannot speak on behalf of TW but I know the rod/retailers should start shipping the first week in May unless something out of the ordinary happens. The only rod that will be slightly delayed will be the Braillist and it will be approx: 2-4 weeks behind the rest.
That is current as of about an hour ago in relation to the estimated MB ship times.
=D> Thanks.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:31 am

bigfruits wrote:Gary - have you had a chance to fish the PP? Curious to know if it has the same tip as the old one and if it would be just as good of a frog rod. I have other stuff for pitching so this would be a dedicated frog rod. If the old one is better suited, ill be lurking on here early next wk ;)

-z
Hi Z - yes, the Perfect Pitch feels similar in action and power to the original version. It will be an excellent frog rod and of course fantastic as a bottom contact rod.

Don't hold out hope for a new 1st Generation Perfect Pitch with what is about to drop on The Tackle Trap site next week. I'd recommend getting a pre-order in for the new ones if you want that rod. We are still accepting them!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Technical
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Technical » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:30 am

A couple questions about the new pp and the warhammer. Does the new pp have the same taper as the 1st gen XX 7'9" flipping rod? My other question does the destroyer warhammer have the same taper as the original taper as the 1st gen xx 7'9". Placing another order to the TT this week.