Favorite line for different techniques

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Favorite line for different techniques

Post by Obz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:08 pm

This is how I roll 8-)
Frog/punch= Briad- 65# suffix 832 (gonna try 60# sunline fx2)
Jerkbait/smallcrank/lightTrig= fluoro-12# sunline assasin
Heavier trig/jig= fluoro- 16# gamma edge
Bigger cranks= nylon mono-17# trilene xl (gonna try 15# Defier armillo)
Topwater= nylon mono-15# trilene xl (gonna try 15# Defier armillo)
Ferry wand techniques= nylon mono- 8# trilene xl (gonna try 8# assassin fluoro and 8#invisx fluoro)

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Favorite line for different techniques

Post by poisonokie » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:19 pm

Frogs, C rigs, heavy vegetation flipping/pitching: 65# J-Braid
Flipping/pitching, skipping, >1/2 oz+ jigs, heavy cover: 20# Abrazx
T rigs, pitching, <3/8 oz jigs, swim jigs, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, squarebills in rip rap: 15# Invizx
T rigs, football jigs, small swimbaits (3.8 Keitech), weightless plastics, spinnerbaits, shallow cranking:12# Invizx
Light T rigs, weightless plastics, finesse jigs/cranks, jerkbaits, wacky worms, shakey heads: 10# Invizx
BFS, weightless plastics, finesse cranks/jigs, wacky worms, drop shot: 6-8# Invizx
Topwater, spinnerbaits, swim jigs, chatterbaits, squarebills, shallow-mid cranks: 16# Super Natural/30-40# J-Braid
Shallow-deep cranks, rattle traps, topwater, spoons: 30# J-Braid
Small topwater, finesse cranks/spinnerbaits, finesse jigs/weightless plastics in vegetation, jerkbaits: 15# J-Braid
L Spinning: 4# Invizx-6# CXX
ML Spinning: 10# Power Pro
MH Spinning: 10# Fluoroclear
This is the way.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:18 pm

Jerkbaits- 6# Sufix Siege mono

Poppers- 10# Sufix Siege mono

Topwater walking baits- 14# Sufix Siege Mono

Shallow/med/deep Crankbaits- 8-10# Sufix Fluorocarbon

Plastics/jigs- 8-14# Sufix Fluorocarbon

Spinnerbaits- 14# Sufix Fluorocarbon

Small swimbaits- 14-17# Sufix Fluorocarbon (sometimes mono)
Large swimbaits- 17-20# Sufix Fluorocarbon (sometimes mono)

Frogs & buzzbaits- 50-65# braid (usually Sufix 832 but haven't found a favorite braid yet).

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:35 pm

poisonokie wrote:MH Spinning: 10# Fluoroclear
Nice, I was a bit worried about getting away with 8# fluoro on my 2500 daiwa procyons. This makes me feel a bit better.
spookybaits wrote:Jerkbaits- 6# Sufix Siege mono

Frogs & buzzbaits- 50-65# braid (usually Sufix 832 but haven't found a favorite braid yet).

Dang spooky pretty loyal to the suffix, gotta admit I haven't tried it. I think if I could only pick one brand for line it would be Berkley, the XL and 100% percent fluoro are super legit at all diameters.

I put a 105 spool in my tdz 103, wound it with 10# Berkley 100% FC and strapped it to my Kistler H3 LT/MH. Gonna use it for weightless plastics and shakey heads. I was casting a fluke on a 3/0 TROKAR in my yard today it was pretty dope. I'm excited to see how some hedge hog air bearings will ad to it.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:43 am

That's what I use on my 2500 ballistic ex. 8# Invizx. Works great! The reel I have the 10# p-line on is a 3000 Lexa.
This is the way.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:24 pm

Obz wrote:
poisonokie wrote:MH Spinning: 10# Fluoroclear
Nice, I was a bit worried about getting away with 8# fluoro on my 2500 daiwa procyons. This makes me feel a bit better.
spookybaits wrote:Jerkbaits- 6# Sufix Siege mono

Dang spooky pretty loyal to the suffix, gotta admit I haven't tried it. I think if I could only pick one brand for line it would be Berkley, the XL and 100% percent fluoro are super legit at all diameters.

I put a 105 spool in my tdz 103, wound it with 10# Berkley 100% FC and strapped it to my Kistler H3 LT/MH. Gonna use it for weightless plastics and shakey heads. I was casting a fluke on a 3/0 TROKAR in my yard today it was pretty dope. I'm excited to see how some hedge hog air bearings will ad to it.
Haha, I am loyal! I'd even go so far as to say- it's the one component of my fishing gear I have 100% confidence in and have no intentions of switching or shopping around.
I always used Berkeley in the past, ran sunline for a while and then found Sufix.
I hate to sound like a broken record/salesman, but I just think Sufix is the best line on the market. (I believe it scored best in the TT line review shootout as well if I remember correctly?)
A lot of it has to do with Sufix's winding process- it virtually eliminates memory from the line. It's glorious, especially with the fluorocarbon!

Sufix Seige Mono matches up almost identically with big game(same diameter)- it's tough as nails, but no memory and casts farther. It's a tad bit stiffer than big game, and possibly less stretch. It's also far more consistent spool-to-spool, and I'd venture to say even stronger. (Only caveat- the camo color line seemed to handle different, but that was when it first came out. Could be fine now?)

Sufix Elite Mono is limper/better handling at the expense of less distance. Great line for beginners new to baitcasting.

Sufix fluorocarbon is the toughest, best handling, farthest casting fluoro I've ever used. The only 'con' is that it's slightly more opaque & less 'invisible' than other fluorocarbons on the market. It is pretty stiff, but most 'tough' lines are. Upside to that is it's more sensitive.
Also- exceptional knot strength! I run the polamar knot with it, never once had a breakoff or any issues. When tree snagged, the line will break before the knot does. And if using 10lb or heavier, good luck breaking the line at all :lol:

I like the 832 braid but not in love with it & still on the hunt to find the perfect braid(will try Sunline fx2 this year).

Add to all of that- Sufix is cheap! \:D/ Next time you're line shopping, definitely give Siege or Flouro a shot, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!