St Croix. . . . Naked

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
spoonplugger1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: St Croix. . . . Naked

Post by spoonplugger1 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:02 pm

Remove the finish with a citrus paint stripper, sanding cuts fibers, especially near the tip. No blank needs a finish, the shelf life of the cured blank is 5000 years. Something people forget when giving an opinion on what is best, is informing the people on exactly by how much your improving it. Many improvements are in the 1 to 3 percent range, many may not choose to do it if they knew the benefits involved. Using x-fine Scothbrite pad gives a satin finish, and masks imperfections.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:25 pm

Laquer thinner on a rag will literally wipe that cheap paint away. Regretfully, I discovered that quite accidentally. :doh:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:47 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:Laquer thinner on a rag will literally wipe that cheap paint away. Regretfully, I discovered that quite accidentally. :doh:
You accidentally put lacquer thinner on a rag, and took the rag to a rod blank...... Or did you accidentally have an accident?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:56 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:Lacquer thinner on a rag will literally wipe that cheap paint away. Regretfully, I discovered that quite accidentally. :doh:
You accidentally put lacquer thinner on a rag, and took the rag to a rod blank...... Or did you accidentally have an accident?
:lol: :lol: :lol: I attempted to remove ink from a Sharpie on an SCIV rod with a lacquer thinner-soaked rag.....you know the rest..... ](*,) I ended up stripping the entire rod everywhere the blank was exposed and it was not pretty underneath.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:59 pm

Interesting! Just ordered 1st St. Croix blank (5C70MF-G), but i dont like that color either.

shfishinsticks
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by shfishinsticks » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:39 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:Lacquer thinner on a rag will literally wipe that cheap paint away. Regretfully, I discovered that quite accidentally. :doh:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I attempted to remove ink from a Sharpie on an SCIV rod with a lacquer thinner-soaked rag.....you know the rest..... ](*,) I ended up stripping the entire rod everywhere the blank was exposed and it was not pretty underneath.
You don't need lacquer thinner to remove paint from a SCIV or SCV. Rubbing alcohol will get you color on a paper towel and DNA will do even more damage.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:52 pm

shfishinsticks wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
You don't need lacquer thinner to remove paint from a SCIV or SCV. Rubbing alcohol will get you color on a paper towel and DNA will do even more damage.
Yep, I did some experimentation after the initial damage to the paint on the rod I had. Electronic contact cleaner will wipe it clean as a whistle, too. :lol: