Abu Garcia WTF's

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Abu Garcia WTF's

Post by poisonokie » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:17 pm

runmax08 wrote:Wow........Im still using the original Revo STXs that were released back in 2007. That was and still is the best release of a low profile reel ever....IMO..............I use all the brands conquests and tdzs and their great reels. However when it comes to cranking power and torque no one can match the STX. Also 20 lbs of drag force. Try cranking any large Bill Norman crankbait with a low profile Daiwa or Shimano...........
I don't have to try, that's all I use for that. Zillion TWS or Luna 103. I can grind those and duo G87's into the bottom all day with no problems whatsoever, and they're still smooth.
This is the way.

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:16 am

My Shimano & Daiwa 7ish:1 reels feel noticeably more powerful than my Gen2 Revo 7:1. I have Gen1 & 2 SX's and Premiers and they are backup duty only. I'm tired of trying to keep the clutch working properly. I believe all of mine have needed a pawl replaced at some point. Just too many issues that I do not have with my Shimano or Daiwa reels.

Normware
Angler
Angler

Post by Normware » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:03 am

Gave up on Abu several years ago. Had a revo (can't remember the model). Took it part to clean and was shocked how cheap the parts were. Getting back together was not fun. When compared to Shimano curado's and chronarch's of the time the Abu's were not worth the money time or effort.

Still feel the same way.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:08 am

I was the same way when i began bass fishing from my user name lol back in 2007. I loved the revo when it first came out super solid reel for the money. I eventually got a curado 200e7 and thats all she wrote i drifted away from Abu completely now its all Daiwa and Shimano for me. I do agree though the first gen were great reels but the quality started to slope in my eyes. I really thought they would not make anymore full body aluminum reels anymore. i was super impressed with the sv103 i hated that i never tried daiwa earlier than i did. and i love the bantam mgl. I really do not see myself getting back on the abu train. I should probably change my user name .

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:04 pm

I fish two Gen 1 Premier baitcasters, that I bought when they were being phased out, for my small and medium cranks, and they are still smooth, after 10+ years.
I tried a Gen 2 STX, and sold it. It was never comfortable in my hands.

runmax08
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by runmax08 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:01 pm

How many times have we heard this one: "This benefit really is for the larger sizes of this bait and certainly the 25.5 is an easy bait to pull in the water but I was also using a low gear ratio reel in the Revo4 X Winch (5.4:1) made specifically for this application." Sound familiar right!

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:38 am

Revo is a good reel. Call it OEM all day long. Call it a Korea reel all day long. Revo is the Honey Badger of reels. It don't care. If you screw it up, Abu send you a new one.
Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 3, Gen 4. Solid.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:10 pm

Johnny A wrote:Revo is a good reel. Call it OEM all day long. Call it a Korea reel all day long. Revo is the Honey Badger of reels. It don't care. If you screw it up, Abu send you a new one.
They send you a new one because it doesn't cost them anything. Its just like 13Fishing and their crappy rods that break on a weekly basis. They send you a new one without questions asked because they're cheaply made and it doesn't cost them anything. Shimano and Daiwa doesn't even need to send you a new one because their reels don't screw up.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:43 pm

SSS wrote:
Johnny A wrote:Revo is a good reel. Call it OEM all day long. Call it a Korea reel all day long. Revo is the Honey Badger of reels. It don't care. If you screw it up, Abu send you a new one.
They send you a new one because it doesn't cost them anything. Its just like 13Fishing and their crappy rods that break on a weekly basis. They send you a new one without questions asked because they're cheaply made and it doesn't cost them anything. Shimano and Daiwa doesn't even need to send you a new one because their reels don't screw up.
re: Shimano and Daiwa not screwing up, I wouldn't say that.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:17 pm

I sold off my Abu baitcasters, but I am on your side, they have AMAZING customer service. I think they are definitely 3rd place, maybe tied with Lew's behind Shimano/Daiwa. We actually love our Revo Gen 2 spinning reels. Own an STX20 and Premier30; fish them hard with braid for smallmouth. The STX20 has lost some smoothness over 2 seasons, but the Premier30 (wife's reel) is still strong at the moment.

They might send a new one because it is cheaper made than the Japanese manufacturers, but they sure as hell try to get you back on the water quick!!! Same way with rods as long as you have the receipt and proper warranty process.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:56 pm

I really like my ABU round reels (Morrum, C3, Record, Inshore/Predator etc.). They perform flawlessly. I am also quite happy with my gen. 2 ABU Stx and Premier baitcasters. Perhaps it is because I live in Scandinavia.
I love Shimano and Daiwa too, still, I can think of plenty of WTFs with Daiwa and Shimano, e.g. my T3s and IMO the most ugly label in the history of fishing (Steez...love the reels apart from the label).

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:07 pm

Johnny A wrote:
SSS wrote:
Not in my personal experience at least. On abu's, the clutch not fully engaging in gen 1-3 revo's is annoying enough as is.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:33 pm

SSS wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
SSS wrote:
Not in my personal experience at least. On abu's, the clutch not fully engaging in gen 1-3 revo's is annoying enough as is.
I've used a gen3 premier for going on 4 years and I've never had it not fully engage. It has actually been pretty much flawless and it's amongst my furthest casting reels.

Normware
Angler
Angler

Post by Normware » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:02 am

Why is your avatar TEAM DAIWA :confused:

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:31 am

Normware wrote:Why is your avatar TEAM DAIWA :confused:
So he can lurk on this board relatively un-noticed...

oe