Metanium MGL Issue

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Metanium MGL Issue

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:03 pm

I recently got my first Metanium MGL and had the chance to fish it for the first time yesterday. There wasn't much wind and I was throwing a 1/2oz bait but I kept getting backlashes and the distance wasn't anywhere near to what I get with my 2013 Metanium. Casting distance was comparable to an old Scoprion 1000 XT that I had with me.

Is it possible there is something wrong with the reel? Or does it behave that much differently than the 2013 Metanium? In my 2013 Metanium I keep two brakes on and the spool tension knob fairly loose. With the Met MGL I had 2 brakes on and had to have the spool tension knob pretty tight or I was backlashing every cast.

Only thing that I can think of is to try 3 brakes on and loosen up the spool tension knob and see how that goes. Anyone have a similar experience? Or does it sound like I just got a bad reel and should exchange it?

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Metanium MGL Issue

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:30 pm

There are 3 overall adjustments one can make to the MGL. Once you take the side plate off you have the internal tabs. As you mentioned you have the cast control cap but if you haven not adjusted the small wheel/dial under the reel with varying numbers (think it is 0-6) you should try that as well.

We have tons of wind here in the Midwest. Casting into 15-20 mph wind can be a recipe for disaster. I like to set my MGL with 3 out of the 4 internal breaks engaged and one set to off. The cast control cap is set to remove side to side play and I will adjust the dial up or down depending on the wind and wind resistance of the bait. Usually adjusting the dial from 0-6 is all I need to do but when there is zero wind I will change the internal dial to 2 engaged and 2 not.

I would just experiment with the 3 adjustments until you can find the right combo.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:There are 3 overall adjustments one can make to the MGL. Once you take the side plate off you have the internal tabs. As you mentioned you have the cast control cap but if you haven not adjusted the small wheel/dial under the reel with varying numbers (think it is 0-6) you should try that as well.

We have tons of wind here in the Midwest. Casting into 15-20 mph wind can be a recipe for disaster. I like to set my MGL with 3 out of the 4 internal breaks engaged and one set to off. The cast control cap is set to remove side to side play and I will adjust the dial up or down depending on the wind and wind resistance of the bait. Usually adjusting the dial from 0-6 is all I need to do but when there is zero wind I will change the internal dial to 2 engaged and 2 not.

I would just experiment with the 3 adjustments until you can find the right combo.
I was adjusting the wheel from 1-6 as well. If I remember correctly the MGL is advertised as casting 20% further than the standard Metanium. But I can't even get it to outcast a Scorpion 1000 XT which is essentially a curado.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:49 pm

something not right.

with heavy fc (16#) I can have issues with both the 13 and 16 met and sometimes need to go to 3 or 4 brakes. I don't fish FC much and stick with 30# braid on both. Even with wind, I set my inside brake to 1 on plus external dial. The with a 1/4oz bait the 16 met certainly outcasts my 13's. I rarely get any backlashes with braid.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:23 pm

What line are you using versus the other setups? Are these results with the same rods? I honestly like fishing my Chronarch MGL with all 4 tabs on and a low setting on the 1-6 Dial with a tighter tension knob setting. I cast A LOT though, guarantee my cast to catch ratio is horrible compared to some (not the best fishing locally) so I get to practice my thumb fairly well.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:46 pm

I run mine with 2 brakes on and and I turn the number to 2, I have the tension just enough for whatever lure I am using
drops slowly.

With it set like this you really do need a trained thumb, if I get to excited and cast without thinking I will get a backlash.

I have not noticed any distance difference between my Metanium 13 and MGL, but my Metanium 13 has a yumeya
shallow spool and HH spool bearings.

My Metanium 13 is less finicky IMO.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:20 am

Same line on both reels; 10lb Sunline FC Assassin. Comparing them on the same rod which is a Dobyns 704CB.

I also noticed it takes considerably less effort to cast with the 2013 Met. I can do an easy lob cast where with the MGL I was really having to load the rod more on the cast to get distance.

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:27 am

Sounds like your Met may have a bad spool bearing. I had that happen with a brand new Shimano a few years ago. Flushing the bearing made no improvement, I had to replace that bearing.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:58 pm

That thing should cast great, you might have grease on the spool shaft/pinion gear slowing it down? Mine easily out cast my 13 and it cast really good.

Kurt