MB swimbait rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Jmoua86
Angler
Angler

MB swimbait rod

Post by Jmoua86 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:38 am

Choosing between 3 MB rods

Ts baccarat
BJ Ogre
Onager

All three fall within spec I will be throwing; please give your experience/opinion of each, will be making my purchae very soon unfortunately no dealers around me carry any for me to handle. Much appreciated and have a great day.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: MB swimbait rod

Post by bronzefly » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:08 pm

Curious as to the specs of the swim baits you'll be throwing. I've handled the Ogre, but haven't fished it. I have experience with the other two, and a few other Megabass swim bait rods.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Jmoua86
Angler
Angler

Post by Jmoua86 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:13 pm

Hard and soft bait ranging from 4oz-6oz or even a little more, I like a mod action with soft tip for working baits but not too parabolic.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:48 pm

Jmoua86 wrote:Hard and soft bait ranging from 4oz-6oz or even a little more, I like a mod action with soft tip for working baits but not too parabolic.
US Destroyer Onager would be my choice. It's light for it's stature, powerful, extremely well balanced, and a great big bait rod.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Jmoua86
Angler
Angler

Post by Jmoua86 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:42 pm

Ive read the reviews on the Onager and SRD, mayb I missed it but Im assuming both are one peice. My rod locker will only be able to accomdate up to 7’6” max.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:18 pm

Jmoua86 wrote:My rod locker will only be able to accomdate up to 7’6” max.
That's a serious limitation... you should check with Bronzefly and see if they have any of the original Orochi XX Leviathon's still in stock. That was a two piece stick separating at the handle and would fit in your rod locker perfectly. Otherwise, yes, the Onager is a one piece stick.

Another option would be to see if you could track down a Black Jungle Super Red Demon (F10-76XBJ). That stick was 7'6" and a beast of a rod.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:25 pm

Cal wrote:
Jmoua86 wrote:My rod locker will only be able to accomdate up to 7’6” max.
That's a serious limitation... you should check with Bronzefly and see if they have any of the original Orochi XX Leviathon's still in stock. That was a two piece stick separating at the handle and would fit in your rod locker perfectly. Otherwise, yes, the Onager is a one piece stick.

Another option would be to see if you could track down a Black Jungle Super Red Demon (F10-76XBJ). That stick was 7'6" and a beast of a rod.
Agreed, a 7'6" maximum for baits of that stature are severely limiting in what options are available to you in any brand, much less Megabass, but you're in luck :D

Thanks Cal - we actually have the last few Black Jungle Super Red Demons out there in stock and ready to ship before they're gone. I didn't mention this model based on the length profiles of the other models, listed, longer than 7'6". That being said, the SRD is an ideal choice for these narrow parameters. I've thrown 6 oz baits on it and it handles them nicely.

Interestingly enough, there might be a few more options within the original XX models aside from the four listed on our site available in very limited quantities in the relatively near future... keep an eye on the site for that, and an updated announcement here and on social media.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:31 pm

bronzefly wrote:Thanks Cal - we actually have the last few Black Jungle Super Red Demons out there in stock and ready to ship before they're gone.
Game over! Jmoua86, you need to jump on that stick! Here's the review:

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewvaliantvsdemon.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Jmoua86
Angler
Angler

Post by Jmoua86 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:49 pm

Thanks for the update guys, I saw somewhere a post the Ogre and the Ts as two peice; but will keep the Srd on my radar as well.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:27 pm

Jmoua86 wrote:Thanks for the update guys, I saw somewhere a post the Ogre and the Ts as two peice; but will keep the Srd on my radar as well.
Yes, they are both "off set handle" models. Regardless, the Super Red Demon is clearly the best tool for the job here in my opinion and a one piece if that matters to you. I haven't had problems with the "off set handle" models myself and have no issues with them, Megabass does that very well, however, the SRD is just an awesome rod all around.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:30 pm

Jmoua86 wrote:Thanks for the update guys, I saw somewhere a post the Ogre and the Ts as two peice; but will keep the Srd on my radar as well.
I wouldn't wait if I were you. :lol: :lol: :lol: Those SRDs will disappear. Heck of a stick!

Jmoua86
Angler
Angler

Post by Jmoua86 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:22 pm

Sorry to dissapoint you guys but my heart is with the ts KOB, Im almost certain that will be my rod choice and will be placing order very soon.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:11 pm

Jmoua86 wrote:Sorry to dissapoint you guys but my heart is with the ts KOB, Im almost certain that will be my rod choice and will be placing order very soon.
No disappointment at all, only experience and wisdom being offered to answer your questions.

Are you now talking about the "King of Baccarat" in reference to "ts KOB" 3 - 15 oz. rated model :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap