Frog Reel search

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Kingpin
Angler
Angler

Frog Reel search

Post by Kingpin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:42 am

Im looking through both Shimano and Daiwas website and I cant figure out Which reels would be the absolute best for Frogging. I currently have a Metanium DC and I never was in love with the reel for my Frogger. Im looking for a low profile reel and I think Im Between the Metanium MGL, the Bantam MGL and the new Zillion, possibly a or a steez, but Im unsure as to how the Steez would hold up. Anyone with some insight or comparisons with a few of these reels? Thanks, G

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Frog Reel search

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:49 am

Out of the ones that you mentioned I would opt for the Bantam HG or a Zillion HD. You need some decent line capacity for 50/50 pound braid and the reel needs to be sturdy and still able to cast far (especially if you are a bank fisherman).

Cheers!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:38 am

Zillion TW (non-SV) or Bantam. Brass gears will help. I enjoyed the Zillion TWS in the 9.1. Speed and power. It's also built like a tank.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Kingpin
Angler
Angler

Post by Kingpin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:06 am

What does the SV do or not due? Do they both have a brass gear? I better do some searching now.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:20 am

Kingpin wrote:What does the SV do or not due? Do they both have a brass gear? I better do some searching now.
1016: brass gear, smaller size, SV spool.
1516: bigger (Original Tatula size), brass gear, deeper non sv spool.

I punch with the 9 1 1516 and use the SV 9.1 for jigs

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:49 pm

Kingpin wrote:What does the SV do or not due? Do they both have a brass gear? I better do some searching now.
Either Zillion TWS (1516) or SV TW (1016) would work great. The 7.3 would have a little more torque with plenty speed (32 inches per turn) to drag them out of cover. The main question I would ask is if this is going to be a reel for frogging only or if you plan to use it on another rod/technique one day. For frogs only, the 1516 Zillion TWS would cast fine. If you were skipping or casting little frogs or wanted a generally more versatile reel I would go with the Zillion SV TW.

The Bantam MGL would be awesome, full aluminum frame and micro module brass gears, but I honestly think the Chronarch MGL would hold up fine to frogging. I've tested one quite extensively and am confident it stout and rigid enough for power fishing techniques like frogging.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:29 am

IMO, there is still no better frog reel than a Calais DC7.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:10 pm

I use the 7.3 JDM Zillion 1516, with the magseal bearings. They're cheap on ebay and it's an absolute monster. I sold my usdm zillion tws because it didn't even compare.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:53 pm

I vote Fuego CT. A good set of spool bearings will make that thing launch a frog. I have personal experience with what can be unleashed with that reel.
<")))><{

Kingpin
Angler
Angler

Post by Kingpin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:18 pm

I am not a fan of the DC reels, as a matter of fact, I will be selling my metanium DC as soon as I can find a reel I want to replace it with. So far Im considering one of the new style Zillions, Bantam MGL or a Metanium MGL. The 1516 XXH Is looking to be the forerunner of the Daiwa lineup. A bit more research on the Shimano reels and I will place my order. We just received another 17 inches of snow here in MN. so I have a bit more time. Thanks all.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:11 am

I suspect that the Bantam MGL is going to make a spectacular frog reel. I haven't fished it for that technique yet, but the left hand models will arrive in time. I have fished the RH model and it's one fine reel that I think is going to get a lot of attention when more of them get out there. We finally have stock at The Tackle Trap, at least in RH ](*,) :lol:

The Steez A is tough in my experience. I have thrown frogs on it and it's still smooth and powerful, and the same reel I've done a lot of close quarters heavy cover work with. I would not recommend the Steez SV TW for frog fishing however. Amazing reel, but it needs to be doing other things...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:19 am

bronzefly wrote:I suspect that the Bantam MGL is going to make a spectacular frog reel. I haven't fished it for that technique yet, but the left hand models will arrive in time. I have fished the RH model and it's one fine reel that I think is going to get a lot of attention when more of them get out there. We finally have stock at The Tackle Trap, at least in RH ](*,) :lol:

The Steez A is tough in my experience. I have thrown frogs on it and it's still smooth and powerful, and the same reel I've done a lot of close quarters heavy cover work with. I would not recommend the Steez SV TW for frog fishing however. Amazing reel, but it needs to be doing other things...
Does the Steez A have brass gears?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:29 am

BigG wrote:Does the Steez A have brass gears?
It has Duralumin gears. In my reels, they have been very tough. The Zillion SV TW does have brass gears and we build custom 9:1 models with either gold or red highlights too for those who prefer fast and brass!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:30 pm

Either way, The Tackle Trap will hook you up. If your Metanium DC is on good shape, you could fetch decent cash for it and, should pay little out of pocket for either the Bantam or The Tackle Trap custom 9.1 Zillion.